“Always A Wonderful Stay for Family Christmas” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Potawatomi Inn Resort and Conference Center

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Angola
Potawatomi Inn Resort and Conference Center
You added Potawatomi Inn Resort and Conference Center to your Saves list
6 LN 100A LK James, Angola, IN 46703   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Angola
Noblesville, Indiana
“Always A Wonderful Stay for Family Christmas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We always rent a series of rooms and a cabin or two each year around the Christmas holiday to meet family that is equidistant from Pokagon State Park and Potawatomi Inn. We always have a great time in the park and at the inn. The rooms and cabins are well kept, the staff are always friendly, and it always makes for an incredibly warm Christmas experience for our extended family.

You must make reservations for the Christmas Season years in advance, just FYI.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask about the rooms in the older area of the inn if you have anyone who may be physically...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thomas P, Manager at Potawatomi Inn Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Potawatomi Inn and for the nice review. We appriciate families like yours that choose to spend the holiday season with us. If there is anything we can do to make your stay more enjoyable, please let us know.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Bay area, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I had to fly back suddenly for a funeral, and my mother suggested I stay at this place. It was slightly more expensive than the holiday inn, etc, but the promise of staying in a park was attractive.

I got there, and stayed in one of the historic rooms in the inn. It was small, but clean and attractive. I brought my computer, and found the internet so slow as to be unusable. That was frustrating (I'm not talking about streaming Netflix, but just reading email). I wanted to go to the gym in the morning, but the treadmill was marked broken, the first exercise bike I tried had a lose crank, and I couldn't get the 20 year old stair machine to work.

So, I decided to go for a walk in the forest, and it was beautiful. It's probably where I was supposed to be. There are 10+ miles of trails.

Other things I liked - there is a lot of life, lots of young families running around. If you had a large group, there are nice common areas. The toboggan run looks like a lot of fun. I'll bring my kids next time. I ate at the snack bar, and the food was surprisingly good, although no alcohol is available. The staff was friendly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Thomas P, Manager at Potawatomi Inn Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay and review of the Potawatomi Inn. We apprciate you taking time out of your busy day to let us know how we are doing. I would like to apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay. Our Maintanence department has been directed to look at the equipment and see what needs to be done to ensure proper operation. We hope to see you back again soon!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

Every year we come here for New Years Eve family party. Kids always have a great time. Sleding in winter is great , there is a swimming pool, and craft room Low key but great place to reconnect with family playing cards or games in the great room or working on a puzzle together. Love it!

• Stayed December 2012
Thomas P, Manager at Potawatomi Inn Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for your stay and for your review of the Potawatomi Inn. We try to provide a family friendly environment for New Year's Eve and are glad that you and your family enjoyed it. We hope to see you back for many years to come!
Floyds Knobs, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

As long as you know what you are getting at this hotel you will not be disappointed. Before our first stay I read some of the reviews here and they had me a bit frightened that we were going to be staying in a dirty, run down cabin. We rented the historic cabin. Yes, they are old, but for the price I can't understand why anyone would expect a 5 star Galtinburg chalet. We are avid campers (in a travel trailer) so I forewarned our kids that this place would be like a tent with a bathroom and heat. We opened the front door and were pleasantly surprised. We found the cabin to be clean, quaint, and very warm. We did a bedbug check, all was fine. BUT, know what you are getting for the price. It is rustic. More like 'camping' than resort quality, but in a great location right next to the toboggan and within easy walking distance to the Inn. The Inn itself was great for the kids- a craft room (painting), library, pool and hot tub. For adults, sit by the warm fire and relax or finish a half completed puzzle left on any one of several tables by picturesque windows. It's got a really great vibe to it! The toboggan of course is a bucket list item and was a blast!! The Inn has a cafe (snacks and sandwiches) and a restaurant that offers breakfast and dinner buffets (Sunday brunch). Every DNR or hotel employee we met was gracious and friendly. I guess my only con to the hotel is that the restaurant is lacking. Lots of items to choose from, but more truck stop quality and cleanliness does not take precedent. We did eat all our meals there over the weekend and we all survived (the pizza was a hit). The major con I have for the cabin- the bed linens are worn and the mattresses were icky. There really is no need for the "decorative" bed pillows. I know they are not washed with every guest, so they immediately hit the floor for the entire weekend. I give the property overall high marks (ambiance, activities, location, etc). Final advice- If you are a pristine little princess that can't stand roughing it a little, be wary of the historic cabin.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thomas P, Manager at Potawatomi Inn Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay and for taking time out of your busy schedule to review us. I will pass your comments on to the Executive Housekeeper in regards to the bedding. We are currently working on re-working our menus in the dinning room and hope to have the project completed in the spring. Thank you again for your business, we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Of all the Indiana State Park Inns we've stayed at, this is the nicest. The pros:
• Great for families - lots of activities (craft area, small arcade, game room, toboggan run, lake...)
• Clean, comfortable rooms
• Pool nice for younger kids: 2'6" - 5' deep with stairs (but over chlorinated)
• Lots of common area/family play space
• 2 nights for 1 winter weekday prices

Cons:
• Restaurant/buffet is average but overpriced for buffet
• Rooms don't have good noise insulation

Overall, this is a great choice for a 2-3 day family getaway. There are plenty of activities in every season. The staff is friendly, and the rooms are clean and decently sized (especially when compared to other state park inns). The only two negatives are the poor noise insulation of rooms and restaurant prices. You'll hear doors closing and people running up and down the hallways, so if you're a light sleeper, see room tips below. Also the buffet has decent food, but at $14.25/adult for dinner and $9.95 for breakfast, it's a bit overpriced. Kids 4-10 are .90/year for dinner and I think $.80 for breakfast. If you don't mind going off sight, there are several restaurants in Angola or try Clays a few miles north in Freemont.

Room Tip: Even number rooms on the 1st floor face the lake. lower level (basement) rooms have a walk out pat...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thomas P, Manager at Potawatomi Inn Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay and your review of the Potawatomi Inn. We greatly appriciate you taking your time to let us know how we are doing. Please know that the reviews and guest surveys are reviewed by the staff to better improve the guest experience. I will have maintanence check out the pool chemical levels to make sure they are within proper levels. Thank you again, we hope to see you back again soon.
Lafayette, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Well, my goal was to avoid the internet by going here, so I can't comment on internet speed. My idea of a vacation is to leave it all behind, enjoy nature, talk to my kids, relax and just enjoy spending time together and this is the perfect place to do it.

Are the rooms Hilton quality? No, but the Hilton does not have a view of the lake, the woods, deer, cardinals, and other wildlife. The Hilton does not have a pile of games and puzzles for families to enjoy. The Hilton does not have paths that meander through tranquil settings, cross country skiing, a toboggan run, a horse camp, picnic spots, a nature center, an outdoor fire, a warming center, a historic building, cozy fireplaces, etc. etc.

If your goal is to spend time in a setting like your house, you will probably not be happy here. If I had listened to other reviews, I would not have stayed here. But I decided to draw my own conclusions and chance it, because for $55, it was a bargain. We stayed in a historic cabin, which was not exactly what I was picturing, but it was clean and adequate, and super duper cheap, which I appreciate. The view from our cabin was amazing, the frozen lake and the woods were beautiful, and we were treated to a fireworks display from somewhere on the other side of the lake. A nice surprise in January!

I was afraid that the "historic" cabin wouldn't have a bathroom, and I couldn't find the info anywhere on the state park website. But yes, they all have bathrooms, and I thought it was cute. Blue tile straight out of the 50s or 60s, but it was very clean and tidy. Again, just enough. I wanted to spend my time outdoors, not in my room. The cabin did not have the historic charm I was expecting, like log timbers or a fireplace. It had two double beds and a TV, it reminded me more of an older motel than a historic cabin. But we enjoyed ourselves immensely.

Also, be aware that the cabins are grouped together in a four-plex, so each room adjoins two other rooms, with doors to the other rooms. We could hear the neighbors snoring, but I was just glad they were able to sleep through the noise my three boys were making. The walls were not super thin, but not impermeable either.

We rented a toboggan for myself and my three boys, and we squeezed in 4 runs in an hour. For $12, I thought it was a sweet deal. Everyone wanted to be in the front though, because that was amazing. Top speed of 34 for us, and when you are in the front of the toboggan it feels like 60mph. Good family fun. The 60 steps up to the top lugging a 35 or 65 lb toboggan was not super fun, but with 3 boys, we managed.

The pool was open until 11pm, which was great because we arrived too late for the toboggan run, so the boys were happy to have something to do. They ran back and forth from the pool, to the hot tub, to the sauna. I think they were pretty happy, they said the pool was a little cold, but the sauna was 180 degrees. Chairs were a little scarce b/c there was a large party there, but we only needed one, so were fine. Nice big windows open onto the lake, a pretty view.

The hotel restaurant was my only complaint. I thought $45 for breakfast was a little steep, especially when we ordered the breakfast buffet at 10:40 and all the food was taken away at exactly 11:00. It would have been nice if they had warned us so we could have gotten second helpings before it was all gone. I was under the impression that breakfast ran until 2pm. So, I probably would not do that again, but was only mildly irritated b/c the room was so inexpensive. So I spent $100 for one night instead of the $75 I was expecting for the room and breakfast. The breakfast that we did manage to get was decent.

So, overall, I would rate this stay as very good. For 4 people, a good value and lots of together time without electronics. If you like nature, don't listen to the negative reviews. If you like spending time in a hotel where every room is the same, with a view of the interstate, but great internet and TV, then do not stay here.

Room Tip: I was glad we didn't stay in the lodge, it was pretty busy. I liked our "historic" cab...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thomas P, Manager at Potawatomi Inn Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay and for your review! It is always nice hearing from our customers. Please know I will address the restaurant issues with the department managers at this Friday's meeting. We hope to see you back again soon!
Fort Wayne, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We visited this inn in September for a cousin's wedding. The lodge is very neat and spacious, and the state park lots of fun to explore. However, we made the mistake of booking a historic room b/c it was cheaper. Family of ours had the newer rooms - which were very nice and well-kept. The historic rooms are tiny, and show a lot of wear and tear. There is very little light or ventilation. The beds are small. And the bathrooms are extremely tight. The toilets are placed so close to the wall that you must sit sideways on them. I would stay here again, but only if I could book one of the newer rooms.

Room Tip: Book a new room, not a historic one
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thomas P, Manager at Potawatomi Inn Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Thank you for your recent stay and review! The Historic rooms in the Inn are a small for today's standards. They were originally built in 1927 and didn't even have private bathrooms, later they added bathrooms to all the rooms which took even more space from the rooms. We have tried to make them as comfortable as possible even adding flat screen TV's. We hope you come back and give us another try, just let them know you would like a Horseshoe room when booking! Thank you again.

Been to Potawatomi Inn Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!