“It was fabulous!! - comfortable, cozy, and oh so relaxing!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Silent Forest Retreat Cabins at Hidden Lake Winery

Silent Forest Retreat Cabins at Hidden Lake Winery
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Aviston
Silent Forest Retreat Cabins at Hidden Lake Winery
You added Silent Forest Retreat Cabins at Hidden Lake Winery to your Saves list
10580 Wellen Road, Aviston, IL 62216   |
Granite City
“It was fabulous!! - comfortable, cozy, and oh so relaxing!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

My husband and I went to Silent Forest Cabins for our anniversary. We found it topnotch! The cabin was very comfortable with a king size bed and a wonderful jacuzzialong with a little kitchen nook that has a microwave and mini-frig. What more can you ask for? It was tucked into the woods which made a cozy, leisurely atomsphere that my husband and I definitely needed. We also visited the Hidden Lake winery and the Bar and Grill that is located there. Their wines are excellent and we enjoyed browsing the different and unique labels. Friday night was all you can eat crablegs at the Bar and Grill. The food and service were excellent!! The atomsphere and ambience were wonderful. We enjoyed our time there immensely and will definitely recommend it to others!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Midwest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2010

First of all thank you to my wife for planning a beautiful anniversary weekend here at Silent Forest.

I'd like to also start by expressing my gratitude to the staff at Silent Forest. Doug, Amanda and Gabe(sp) among others behind the scenes truly made the experience well worth the long weekend.

I won't go into a play-by-play, but I will say that this retreat is perfect for those that live in the metro east or even in St. Louis. It's about a 30 minute drive from the Scott AFB exit. My only gripe is the place might not be easy for people to find in the dark. Better signage would remedy this problem.

Once on the retreat grounds, I was impressed with the simple yet comfortable cabin quarters. Equipped with a massive jacuzzi tub, gas fire place, DirectTV, king sized bed with a futon sitting area and a fridge, I was quite surprised at the amenities for such a small place. The cabin was clean and orderly and was a very nice home away from home for the weekend. The only real negative about the cabin is the heat/cooling system. It is a wall unit that sits up high on the wall next to the bed. I found myself paying more attention to making sure it was warm in the room than I was paying attention to my wife. Bad news. I hope they find a more user friendly/efficient heating/cooling mechanism before the next time we head down there. Fortunately, it wasn't freezing outside...I can see that being an issue. Also, I'll just mention the satellite went out on us several times, but because we were on a 'retreat', i really didn't find a reason to complain to management about it. It was cloudy and raining that weekend, so they get a pass.

The other parts of the retreat were pretty much closed off for the winter...(i.e lake, waterfall, vineyard..etc), which was fine because it was kind of damp and dreary the whole weekend anyway. So instead, we spent time getting to know the staff. I would have to say that the staff was probably the most friendly I have seen in quite sometime here in Illinois. Amanda, you were awesome. We wish we had more time to hang out and get to know you. I hope you are there when we come back to see you guys. Doug was great...you went above and beyond for to ensure every need was met during our stay. We hope to see you again as well....don't work yourself to hard. Gabe(sp) was such a well-mannered young man. We hope you continue to pursue everything life as for you. Continue to work hard and give people your best....great things will be coming your way with that attitude.

The restaurant and winery are the only other things that we can comment on. In short, the restaurant is simple, clean and comfortable. I wouldn't say it's a five star, but for the location and the resources, they did their best to make sure you enjoy a pleasant evening whatever the occasion may be. The wine tasting was our first, and we thank Amanda for making it and enjoyable experience for us. We recommend trying some of the semi-sweet wine if that's what you are into. It's local and affordable.

All in all, I highly recommend a weekend stay at this retreat to couples both married and dating. You will enjoy the quiet time and seclusion. Thank you again to Dale in his staff for the wonderful experience.

BTW...don't forget the Sunday brunch if you stay the weekend....it's well worth it.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2010

I stayed the 21 and 22 of January 2009, as a matter of fact I'm still here! I couldn't wait til we left to tell everyone how wonderful this place i so writing this review from their amazing lodge. I had read the previous rewiews and heard first hand accounts from past guests. Despite the vary rare negative (only a 2 total from here) we thought we'd give it a try, WOW!!! 1st of all the cabin was amazing, we stayed in the honeymoon cabin and things were great, from the satellite tv, pillow top matress, to the heart shaped jacuzzi tub. We were treated as royalty by the staff who went above and beyond the call of duty, even staying on the phone with us until we reached the amazing resturant they reccomended (which was also more than spectacular "Popeye's chop house" a five star resturant with a three star name"). The management was the best making sure we were completely comfortable during our stay. While we were here we ran into no trouble, I had an amazing time and would reccomend this place to any new couples, married coupled, or anyone looking to just escape for the weekend, or week if you're that lucky. Overall a 6 out of 5, the extra one is my tip. If you see Doug make sure to tell him hello, and enjoy your stay at the best little get away from home that's not to far from home.

• Stayed January 2010
St. Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed in one of the cabins the weekend of November 7, 2009. After only seeing pictures of the cabins online, and knowing that things usually look better online than they do in person, I was pleasantly surprised. The pictures hardly do the cabins justice. The cabin was very clean and well thought out. The robes that are provided were comfortable and warm. The bed was very comfortable and inviting.

My only complaint, and it is a small one, is the check in process. We checked in on a Saturday and there were quite a few people in the lodge for wine tasting. We had to wait a little longer than expected to get checked in to our cabin.

I was able to speak to the manager the following Monday and he was very gracious and offered his appologies. A very nice gentleman to speak with and I look forward to meeting him on my next stay. Yes, I will most certainly be back.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Shiloh, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2009

My future wife and I have been to Hidden Lake Winery many times. We spent our 1 yr Anniversary there & stayed in there Silent Forest Retreat Cabins. They are amazing to say the least. This year for our Anniversary, I decided to take her there again, & this time propose!!!!! The Inn keeper, Doug, gave us Excellent service and went over and above to make sure that we had an Amazing engagement weekend. The country atmosphere is great. Servise is even better. If you've never been... It's a MUST SEE! My future wife & I will return for years to come. It truly is a great retreat from the real world, & trust me..... A great place to get engaged &, or married. Thank you from the bottom of my heart , to Silent Forest Retreat Cabins & Hidden Lake Winery for making the best weekend of my life, to date, even more special! Chris Etling

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
St. Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

We arrived to our cabin in Silent Forest Retreat around 1:00 pm to get ready before the wedding which was at the Majestic Falls location. We were granted an early check-in in advance (normal check-in time is 3:00pm) Unfortunately when we got to the room it had not been cleaned yet! Doug the inn keeper (manager) was on site within minutes and personally cleaned the cabin for us. He was extrememly apologetic and even comped us an extra bottle of wine for our troubles. After the wedding the cabin was perfect. We had a fireplace, a heartshaped jacuzzi and champagne and enjoyed every minute of it! We were given a complimentary brunch with our nights stay which was also very nice. I recommend it.

Even though there was a slight hiccup when we arrived, Doug went above and beyond to make things right for us. I really appreciate this kind of service and feel that other staff members of Hidden Lake Winery could learn from his example.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
midwest
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

I would not recommend this place to anyone! We really enjoyed their wine, so we decided to spend our anniversary in one of the cabins. Big mistake!! The room took over 4 hours to heat. The TV never did work. Found a dead cockroach in the room. The staff wasn't very helpful. The said they would "make it up to us". They never did. My husband and I are only able to leave our kids a few times a year. This was one of those times and we wished we wouldn't have spent so much money on this trip! We will never go back! Travelers beware!!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aviston
Mariner's Village at Carlyle Lake
BEST WESTERN PLUS Mascoutah/SAFB
BEST WESTERN U. S. Inn
BEST WESTERN U. S. Inn
#1 of 1 in Nashville
4.0 of 5 stars 91 reviews

Been to Silent Forest Retreat Cabins at Hidden Lake Winery? Share your experiences!