“Yikes, This Was a Less Than I Expected!” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Aurora
El Paso, Illinois
“Yikes, This Was a Less Than I Expected!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

The good news is that everyone I talked with from the hotel was friendly. The bad news is that I bought my own cleaning supplies to clean my room. There was some kind of congealed sauce dried on the desktop. I would not have felt comfortable putting anything in the microwave and actually eating it until after I cleaned it, and there was a strange sound coming from inside the wall of my room. I don't want to think about what that might have been. The sign next to my door said that my room was "scheduled for cleaning" on Tuesdays. I was there on a Thursday and Friday. That meant that if I wanted the bed made, I was making it myself, if I wanted clean towels, I could either wash them myself or go down to the desk and exchange my dirty towels for fresh ones.
Truth be told, if the room had not been prepaid by my employer I would have checked out and gone elsewhere. Although the room was nice in size, with a refrigerator, microwave, desk, two queen size beds, and a lounge chair, nothing makes up for an unclean room and a loud altercation in the hallway during the night which was easy to hear because i could actually see light from the hallway under the door in my room due to the gap between the door and the carpeting.
I was surprised and disappointed as other reviews made this place look like a good bet, but i have to agree with the others who in our group who stayed here and definitely would not return .

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Aurora - Naperville, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Dear Cabdg,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. We are pleased to hear you had a positive experience with our friendly staff. I am deeply sorry you found your room accommodations less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Davenport, Iowa, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

I took my girls to the Chicago area to enjoy the Mag. Mile and visit the Premium Outlet Mall. I had noticed on the outlet website that staying at this hotel would get a $50 gift card to spend at the outlet mall. When I called Candlewood to confirm this "perk," I was told that this was in fact something that they offered, so I booked a room. The online price for a suite was $75. and they confirmed this, so I booked the room. When I arrived that weekend, I was told that they no longer honored that deal. I spoke to the manager, John, who was a complete [--]. He was very arrogant and unaccommodating. He didn't care what I was told on the phone and in fact, called me a liar, telling me that he did not believe I was told anything about receiving a $50 gift card. He told me that he did have $50 gift cards for the outlet malls, and he would be happy to give me one, if I paid $135 a night (2) for my room. I asked him, "So, lets do the math....you are willing to "give" me a $50 gift card, if I spend and additional $60 a night?" he sneered at me and in a very condescending tone answered, "That's right!" My daughters and I checked out of the hotel and spent the $75 we saved by not staying at this hotel at the outlet mall and went home early.

The rooms were ok. Clean, but small and definately not worth more than $75 a night.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Aurora - Naperville, responded to this review, April 23, 2012
Bobbi W,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service (or quality) which was unacceptable. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
IHG Care
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

Stayed here for fours nights while in town to visit family. What a great little find!! Very very clean and staff can not be more accommodating. Room was BIG with everything you could possibly need from dishes to coffee and even a laundry basket for the FREE laundry facility. I would recommend this hotel for everyone going into the aurora area. You cant rent or buy for these rates!!

Room Tip: Onebedroom suites are small apartments!!!!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

Just got back from Chicago area yesterday and my Mom, myself and my 21 month old stayed here for 3 nights while visiting family. It was wonderful. We did have a 1 bedroom suite, which would only have been better if it was a King, but no complaints otherwise. It was clean, the staff was great, had a full kitchen (with extras like a pot, serving utensils, coffee condiments, etc.) I asked for a pack 'n' play to be provided and it was set up in the room when we arrived. It looked brand new, to my relief. They have one computer with a printer for boarding passes and the like in the lobby as well. I brought a DVD for my son hoping they'd have a player and they sure did. I saw a decent gym and should have used it! They also had laundry on site. There's a walking path around a pond on the backside of the property we did take advantage of (beautiful weather!) Oh, only one thing. . . I don't think we got any maid service the entire time. Obviously we aren't dirty people or this would have been a big issue!

Room Tip: The 1 bedroom is great if traveling with babies or for a little privacy.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
San Jose, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

They did not have the room we had reserved for our family on the day we arrived, and put us instead in single-bed smaller room with an air mattress (which was also against the fire code), promising us a "better than reserved" room the following day, to "make up" for our trouble.

But the next day, there came Lord Rodney Robinson, their Sales Director, who told us that we could NOT have the room that we were promised, as we were "not paying enough"...and of course, we were free to leave if we chose to do so. If you must stay there, talk to Chris, the GM and NOT to Rodney Robinson, who thinks he owns the hotel, even though he only a meager employee there.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

We stayed here the end of March- early April for a few weeks while relocating to a new home. This is a no frills extended stay - meaning you get housekeeping once a week. If you want/need anything in between then, you do the leg work. Like, I had to go to the front desk to get new towels, paper towels, toilet paper, etc. They do not have free breakfast and do not have any manager reception/light dinners. But, they do have FREE LAUNDRY!!!! There are some great thing and some thing that could be improved on. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite. Biggest/best room they have and had an amazing rate since we are staying so long and were loyalty club members.

Pros:
Love the room set-up. I could let me daughter nap and be in the main room eating, watching TV, shower, etc without waking her.
Nice kitchenette (minus an oven - had 2 burner stove top and a top of the line microwave better than you will find in any house)
Had DVD player in the main room. You can check out videos at the front desk.
Comfortable beds and chairs and sofas.
Lots of room
The one light in the bathroom came on really low and then eventually would get brighter.
Fan in the bathroom.
Dishwasher and they provide the detergent.
FREE LAUNDRY! (Must bring your own detergent)
Very clean.
Quiet
Our gym was right next door, so we used that, but there is a very nice gym in the hotel.
Nice amount of storage space.

CONS:
What you get is what you get. We only had 4 spoons, 4 forks and 4 knives. So, I asked for more (since we eat 3 times a day - we would need more). They said there were none left in the hotel - but they gave me some plastic spoons. Uhhh......there are many other vacant rooms, go get a few from those rooms for me. Or, go buy more utensils.

Kind of a strange location for a hotel but it worked for us - right off 88.

Only 2 chairs to use at your table to eat. Had to use the office chair for the third person to eat. I asked for another dining chair - again - they had no more chairs for me. So, if you had 4 people in the room, one person must either sit on the table or stand to eat.

Didn't really have much of any outdoor area to play or sit. You can walk around the pond near the gym right behind it, though, and the church across the street has a nice playground - if they are not having service or pre-school, then you can use the playground (well, at least we did - don't let the church know)

OVERALL:
The people at the front were very nice and made us feel welcome. It's a new place and in very good condition.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

Stayed two nights over Thanksgiving Weekend. The room had excellent facilities including a kitchen with a small cooktop and microwave so we could prepare tea. The motel is on the far west side of town in a new industrial park so on a weekend was very quiet. A DVD player was in the room and the front desk had a library for it. Will stay again. About 10 minute drive to downtown.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aurora
Hampton Inn and Suites Chicago / Aurora
Quality Inn
#7 of 8 in Aurora
3.5 of 5 stars 26 reviews
Baymont Inn & Suites - North Aurora

Been to Candlewood Suites Aurora - Naperville? Share your experiences!