“Always fast and friendly service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Javier's Sabor Mexicano

Javier's Sabor Mexicano
8 West Miner Street, Arlington Heights, IL 60004 (Formerly La Chicanita Mexican Restaurant)
(847) 255-7075
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Mexican
North Chicago, Illinois
“Always fast and friendly service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

My husband I have been eating at Javier's (formerly La Chichanita) for over 30 years. We've seen the restaurant expand over the years, but one thing remains the same -- their fast, friendly service and their good food. We always like sitting in the high-backed booths toward the back of the restaurant. There are lots of choices in the menu and prices are moderate. Its always a good experience.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Fresh and Awesome Mexican Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

I am not a big fan of Mexican food; however, whenever I am visiting the area I look forward to going to La Chicanita/Javiers because it is so good! I have gone here for almost 10 years and it is still as great today. The guacamole is the best I have ever had anywhere and is always fresh. Margaritas are absolutely delicious. And the best part is the how perfect they make their fried ice cream. Service can be so so sometimes, but that is the case everywhere. Food comes out fast and fresh and is always a great experience.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Arlington Heights, Illinois
“Great authentic Mexican food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Javier's has the best authentic Mexican food in Arlington Heights and the NW suburbs. Also great margaritas and wonderful staff.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Galena, Illinois
“Never going back”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

I went to Javier's while on business, hoping for some good Mexican. After driving around the block several times looking for parking I finally settled for a spot about 2 blocks away. Normally this would not even be an issue but this night it was sub-zero...I was really hoping the food would be worth it. Sadly (for me) it was not. The restaurant looks nice inside and out and I was seated quickly but that is where the good review ends. It took my waiter quite a while to finally take my order - a dish that sounded like Mexican shrimp scampi. The chips brought out seemed just in the acceptable side of overcooked but I have seen this before and assumed it was on purpose. The salsa was too hot for my liking and tasted like they had simply crushed some tomatoes and added cilantro and peppers to it, no real flavor just heat.

When my meal finally did arrive it looked like shrimp scampi, oriental fried rice and a serving of frozen (microwaved) California mix vegetables. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that was exactly what it was. The rice was dried out, the vegetables had clearly been microwaved and almost burnt, the shrimp was overcooked and my drink stayed empty almost the entire meal. I do not think the waiter came back once after the food was out, and no, they were not busy.

Overall, this has to be my worst dining experience in a looong time and there will not be a second chance for Javier's.

Visited January 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“getting better slowly”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

A few years ago we went here and I found the whole experience terrible. From the food to the service it was abismal. The other day we gave it another shot and was pleased to see that things have improved. The service was excellent, The wait staff is attentive and helpful. The food is better than it was but can still be a bit more authentic.I would like to have the food taste better than 90% of all of the other Mexican eateries. You do get plenty of food but it could be a bit heartier in taste.

• Visited May 2013