“Cook at Home Next Time” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
“Cook at Home Next Time”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I recently ate here for Brunch on a Sunday afternoon. There was a large line to get into the restaurant, which isn't a big deal, but I feel like they could have at least given us menus to look at while we waited. It was like waiting in a queue for an amusement park ride.

When we got seated the hostess had us stand and wait for the busboy to clear our table and wipe it down. There was a booster seat in our booth which never got removed, along with our waiters tip from the last table which we thought was kind of tacky.

I was really excited when they offered me a glass of fresh-squeezed orange juice. Boy was that a disappointment. It was room temperature verging on warm, I'm not sure how other people like their orange juice, but I like mine cold.

Our waiter was nice enough, so there's a bonus. I had the eggs and sausage and my boyfriend had a spinach omelette, we both shared a side of the spicy hash browns. I have to be honest, I'm not one to complain about lack of salt....ever. But I feel like they didn't have ANY salt at all in their food. The boyfriend said his eggs were really tough too. I do have to say that they are missing out on a great side dish on the hash browns. They looked soooo good!! But the taste was over powered by all of the raw ingredients they just threw on top of the potatoes. Ummmm not so appealing anymore.

All in all, I've never spent over $40 on a brunch, and I never will again. I'd much rather save myself the grief and cook at home.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Chicago, Illinois
“Really Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Don't get discouraged if the line seems long. We almost left because of it. This place holds a ton of people. Its decor is hardwoods and stained glass everywhere. They piled a ton of money into the details of this place. Just very very nice. Breakfast choices were extensive. I had a plate that features 3 eggs and "7".. Yes 7 pieces of thick cut bacon. My partner had one of the Benedicts. Both were well prepared. Coffee refills were plentiful and prompt as they have what looks like dedicated staff for that. As we were seated those staff greeted us and had coffee and fresh Juice in hand to choose from as we sat. I was Impressed. This is more expensive than average if you add on to your breakfast choices. But the menu does indicate it and there is plenty to choose from if you ware watching what you spend. All in all.. Enjoyable and worth it.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Burglengenfeld, Germany
“A new experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I have never been to a Pancake house before - in Germany we don't have this, our "breakfast culture" is different from US. My friend took me here before spending a day in Chicago downtown - and I liked it a lot. Great variety of pancakes, waffles and other stuff. I took a Wheat Germ Granola pancake which was really delicious, and so rich that I couldn't even manager although I'm a good eater.

Something to return and repeat next time. Not far from the Marriot Courtyard where I stayed.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Orlando, Florida
“good but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

i ordered the Challah French Toast (strawberries on the side cuz i have mixing food issues) w a side of bacon. the side of bacon was $3.95 for three pieces, which seems pricey. thankfully it was thick and edible, but it wasn't worth $4! the french toast was average, nothing special. there wasn't a lot of flavor to it, but i still ate every bit of it. the butter was light and whipped, but it didn't have a lot of flavor, same goes for the whipped cream.

the decor threw me off, it's very ornate. def not what i was expecting but it was a nice change from the typical cafe decor. our server was attentive, but not overly friendly or talkative.

i would return, but if given a choice i'd rather go to other breakfast places i've been to. it just didn't have that special yum factor, but it was good nonetheless.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Top breakfast in US”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Had breakfast at hundreds of restaurants in the United States and Walker Bros is the best. The pancakes are excellent and I love the basted eggs. And don't forget about the bacon...outstanding! We come here often and there's usually a line but its worth the wait.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere