“Not your "typical Mexican" - OUTSTANDING!!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mago Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Vail Ave. and Campbell St.
Transit: Just 1 1/2 blocks South of the Metra Northwest Line, Arlington Heights station.
everywhere
“Not your "typical Mexican" - OUTSTANDING!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Wow! Contemplating a night out in downtown Arlington Heights?...make a reservation for Mago and you will not be disappionted. The specialty of the house is mole... You're greeted with blue and white chips with three different salsas....and they are all fantastic! a Roasted pepper, a green avocado and tomatillo and a yellow spicy one in the middle that contains peanuts.

I was just blown away by reading their www site. Everything made from scratch, fresh...innovative..and my expectations were exceeded because of the food and also the great attention our waiter gave to us... We started with the ceviche sampler plate... three heafty portions ceviche: shrimp, talapia with jicama, scallop and carrot...they were each fresh and delicious...you could tell the quality of the seafood was high and the taste was so nice and fresh...
I had the rancharo mole on skirt steak and the person my wife had the xico mole made into shredded chicken enchiladas! The food was amazing...great portions size and delicious.
I had a dark mexican beer followed by my waiter's recommendation one of the tamarind margaritas with a peppery salt rim..it was fantastic!! I always follow waiters advice as they know what's really special. My wife had a raspberry margarita followed by regular....

As a special tip... you may have a special way you like your steak...but ask the waiter to recommend how this mole will match best.... I was going to order rare...but the waiter recommended medium rare because the mole matched better with the grill a bit more and will be more tasty... He was 100% correct!! so ask your waiter for advice...and they'll steer you correctly!!
Great evening!
Great Service!
Great Food!
Very impressed!! --- Definitely a return visit in my future very soon...and I highly recommend you all get there too!!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

83% Recommend
Arlington Heights, Illinois
“Great Mexican food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My husband and I recently moved to Arlington Heights, and ever since we visit Mago at least 2-3 times a month. We both love their 3 salsas they give you right when you sit down, and I particularly love that they put their own traditional spin on popular dishes. For example, I love fajitas, but rather than the typical meat with sauteed onions and peppers (which they do still offer as their classic fajitas), but they also have fajitas "mago style" where they are cooked in a stone dish and served with steaming hot onions and poblano peppers. It's such a delicious combination of spicy and traditional Mexican flavors that I now get it almost every time I visit! My husband loves their burritos and rarely will get anything else because he loves them so much, and I've heard from others that I've brought along with us that they have delicious mole dishes. If you like more authentic tasting Mexican food, you HAVE to try Mago!

F'burg
“Great Mexican food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

That's high praise coming from a Texan. We were entertaining homesick Texans, and it was a successful night all around. The tableside quacamole was terrific, as were all of the main dishes, including fish.

• Visited September 2012
Mundelein, IL
“JUST AVERAGE”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Had been here for a drink after a show. 5.00 margarita special.
Took the neighbors and went back to eat.
Love the decor, service was great, but the food only average.
I had the Ropa Vieja. Dry, no vegetables, not a lot of flavor. Same for plantains.
Others had fish tacos. (Didn't finish any of them.) Burrito. (okay, but sauce too spicy.)
Fish (said it was good.) Poblano pepper. (okay)
Service was very good. Guacamole was exceptional
Margarita "special" was over 8.00. No one drank.
Sorry, we'll go back to Casa Bonita in Libertyvile.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
boston
“Lovely lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My sister lives in Arlington Heights and we frequent most of the restaurants there. This was my first time at Mago and I was very pleased with our experience. We lunched at 1:00 on a Thursday and the restaurant was mostly empty, but that does not reflect the service or the food. Our server was quite attentive but never intrusive and the food was exceptional. We left overly sated but that was because we had such difficulty deciding which menu items to choose. So we chose several - a burrito, sopas, table side guacamole, tacos. I would certainly recommend Mago Grill for anyone, visitors, commuters or locals, for a very good mexican dining experience.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere