“Great Mexican food!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mago Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Vail Ave. and Campbell St.
Transit: Just 1 1/2 blocks South of the Metra Northwest Line, Arlington Heights station.
Arlington Heights, Illinois
“Great Mexican food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My husband and I recently moved to Arlington Heights, and ever since we visit Mago at least 2-3 times a month. We both love their 3 salsas they give you right when you sit down, and I particularly love that they put their own traditional spin on popular dishes. For example, I love fajitas, but rather than the typical meat with sauteed onions and peppers (which they do still offer as their classic fajitas), but they also have fajitas "mago style" where they are cooked in a stone dish and served with steaming hot onions and poblano peppers. It's such a delicious combination of spicy and traditional Mexican flavors that I now get it almost every time I visit! My husband loves their burritos and rarely will get anything else because he loves them so much, and I've heard from others that I've brought along with us that they have delicious mole dishes. If you like more authentic tasting Mexican food, you HAVE to try Mago!

• 5 of 5 stars Food

F'burg
“Great Mexican food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

That's high praise coming from a Texan. We were entertaining homesick Texans, and it was a successful night all around. The tableside quacamole was terrific, as were all of the main dishes, including fish.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mundelein, IL
“JUST AVERAGE”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Had been here for a drink after a show. 5.00 margarita special.
Took the neighbors and went back to eat.
Love the decor, service was great, but the food only average.
I had the Ropa Vieja. Dry, no vegetables, not a lot of flavor. Same for plantains.
Others had fish tacos. (Didn't finish any of them.) Burrito. (okay, but sauce too spicy.)
Fish (said it was good.) Poblano pepper. (okay)
Service was very good. Guacamole was exceptional
Margarita "special" was over 8.00. No one drank.
Sorry, we'll go back to Casa Bonita in Libertyvile.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
boston
“Lovely lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My sister lives in Arlington Heights and we frequent most of the restaurants there. This was my first time at Mago and I was very pleased with our experience. We lunched at 1:00 on a Thursday and the restaurant was mostly empty, but that does not reflect the service or the food. Our server was quite attentive but never intrusive and the food was exceptional. We left overly sated but that was because we had such difficulty deciding which menu items to choose. So we chose several - a burrito, sopas, table side guacamole, tacos. I would certainly recommend Mago Grill for anyone, visitors, commuters or locals, for a very good mexican dining experience.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, IL
“Pretty solid restaurant, not the best but good.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Tried Magos because I'm not a fan of chain Mexican restaurants and was looking for something new. The drink menu looked great but our margaritas were really sugary and sweet. Three interesting salsas served with chips. Meals were nice serving size, mellow flavors. Rice had no flavor nor did the black beans. The mole was very nice, would recommend that.
Tried dessert and was really disappointed. Fried ice cream may be the worst I ever had. Flavorless crust with a greasy stick to the roof of your mouth coating. Service was very good overall, our bill was $71 total for party of 2. Not sure we will be back, we will probably keep looking!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere