“Great restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
“Great restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Great place friendly service, my wife and I love to go there. We are full time residents of the lake. The Cove is one of our favorite places to eat. I am sure that once in awhile everyone can have a bad experience at a restaurant but on the whole this is a great place for a sandwich and a beer

Chicago, Illinois
“The server spoiled what could have been a pleasant experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We went to the Cove on July 4, 2013 with a large group.It is definitely a sandwich place. 2 of us ordered the same sandwich but mine was ordered "without thousand island dressing." When served, the server switched the sandwiches and gave me the wrong one. By the time she returned to the table to "check up on the order" most were done eating. I advised her that my sandwich had thousand island dressing on it and I had ordered it without. She had correctly written the order, she just incorrectly served it. She looked across the table at my friends who had eaten the other sandwich (they split) and asked them if their sandwich (which was gone) had thousand island dressing on it. They did not have a clue. She looked at me and said," they got your sandwich.," I then assumed that she was going to get me another sandwich done correctly. Some time passes by and she returns with the checks. I looked at her and expressed that I assumed she was giving me a sandwich to go. She exclaimed,"the kitchen is closed." I was flabergasted. I expressed that she could have indicated that to me, etc. She was very snouty and said," I have never waited on anyone like you. " I expressed to her that she had a lot to learn about service. She then said, "maybe I should come and do your job." I advised her, " I am a physician. Why don't you come to my office, see patients, and advise them what to do."
She was a little flustered at that. She then said that she would pay for the order out of her own pocket.

Never was there an, "I am sorry for the mistake." That is all I was looking for.

I cannot support an establishment who has servers like this. Servers who obviously do not understand that they are "providing" a service and that is their job. Their job is to try to "make the customer happy"-when possible. That cannot always be done-but an acknowledgement is expected-a simple "I'm sorry" goes a long way.

I certainly hope the management of this establishment receives a copy of this evaluation.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Been to The Cove Bar and Grill? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage The Cove Bar and Grill, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.