“Nice quality restuaruant with a nice view” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Chicago, Illinois
“Nice quality restuaruant with a nice view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

It was a nice quality restaurant in Alton. The service was excellant and the food was very fresh and tasty! I loved the crab cakes.

Visited April 2013

Saint Peters, Missouri, United States
“Great Ambience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

My fiance and I had a wonderful experience; we were guests in town for the weekend and thought the menu looked good. Being from St. Louis, we are used to city prices and in a restaurant like this in the city you can expect to spend WAY MORE than we spent here. We started off at the bar for a drink and were pleasantly surprised at the price-- $6.00 for a Woodland Reserve and $4.00 for a gin and tonic! Can't really beat that at ANY restaurant.

Our table was extremely romantic, right in front of the fireplace. We had Dim Sum as an appetizer, which was absolutely delicious. For dinner I had the lobster and prawns-- the lobster was kind of lost in the tempura, and the prawns were a little overcooked, but all-in-all a beautiful presentation that was enjoyable to the palette! The risotto was simply to die for, in my opinion. My fiance had the ribeye special (and I should start by saying he's a ribeye snob, and the waitress did warn us that it wasn't a thickcut steak like he likes but more of a moderate thickness), which he found to be cooked perfectly and good tasting, just not the most mind-blowing steak he's ever had.

The staff was attentive, kind, professional, and the food presentations were beautiful. Service was quick. The ambience was great. Overall a great experience, and we would certainly go back again.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Florida City, Florida
“Sophisticated and fun at a reasonable price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Gentelin's is a fun place to have a drink, then sit down to a wonderful dinner! Always plenty of interesting menu choices that are sophisticated and tasty but priced below what you'd expect. One of the better places I've eaten anywhere in the St. Louis metro area. Worth the trip to the suburbs for this restaurant!

Visited January 2013
Alton, Illinois
“All these great reviews can't be real”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

After reading all the rave reviews I really had my hopes up. Boy was I in for a disappointment. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those people that are impossible to please, but the quality of the food was pretty bad at any price, for what I paid, it was down right awful.

My wife and I both had the ribeye dinner so I cannot comment on the other entrees this place had to offer, but I have had much better steak dinners for one third the price from Ponderosa when they used to be in town.

The steak itself had no flavor. When I pay $70 for two steak dinners, I should not have to use steak sauce. It was also served cold and full of gristle. This was definitely not USDA prime beef. In fact, I would say it wasn't as good as what walmart has in their frozen food section. Their salads were served warm and wilted and their dinner rolls were about the size and hardness of dog biscuits.

After eating there, I have come to the realization that these other reviews could only of come from family and close friends of the owner because I do not believe these were honest reviews from real customers.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Good on Broadway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

By far, the best restaurant in the Alton area. Had fish that was prepared perfectly. Good service and bottles of wine are half-price on Wednesday.

Visited December 2012