“Deliciously Cajun” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
Columbia, South Carolina
“Deliciously Cajun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

The service was excellent and the food was excellent. We had the Voodoo Chicken Sandwich (grilled) and the Taste of New Orleans entree. Both delicious. The etouffee and red beans and rice bring it! They have an expansive selection of beers - some local brews, some hard to find brews (for example, Tangerine Wheat), and many brews from New Orleans (several Abita beers, Dixie Blackened Voodoo lager). When you go, definitely save room for the White Chocolate Bread Pudding!

Visited November 2012

Alton, Illinois
“Almost New Orleans”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We've eaten here 3 times in the last year. I usually have the Muffaletta but this time I had Jambalya - it was delicious. My family had the sampler which is what I'll get next time. I've been to New Orleans several times & this restaurant comes fairly close to some of the food I've had there.

• Visited January 2013
Florida City, Florida
“Very cool place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

You gotta go to this place! The owner or manager Chris is very outgoing and a really nice guy. I thought he made a mistake when he told me how much I owed for my drink. Cool little, very old city Alton, Illinois, and this bar is right in the middle of downtown where there are lots of other bars.

Visited January 2013
Zweibruecken, Germany
“Deliciously N'Awlins”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Soooo, tonight was my 2nd time at this restaurant. We figured we could go on a Sunday late afternoon and have the place to ourselves - that we did! This place has a combination of funky Creole atmosphere - with its cross between cosmopolitan New Orleans, and down & dirty swampy dive bar.

I like the ambiance...and chose to sit in the Coach Airline seats once again. We came specifically to order the same dish I'd had before: the "Seafood Pasta." The sauce is heavenly, and you can spice it up with a dash of habanero pepper! I was thrilled to forgo the menu this evening, since I recall being overwhelmed with all the delicious options available.

If you like Caesar salad - enjoy it along with the pasta. I can't speak for any other dish, since that's all I've had. We split it tonight, and if we hadn't gorged ourselves, there would have been leftovers!

I'd like to go back on a night there is live music...haven't found out which nights those are yet. Only a couple of "complaints" about this place: The outdoor seating area is adjacent to the Entrance of the restaurant, and while it appears to be more than adequate for overage on a busy night - there is a SMOKING area right there -- Illinois Law requires a 15' distance from the door (and this place obviously violates that ordinance).

I complain about that because I have severe respiratory problems that are complicated by smoke. LUCKILY for us, no one has been smoking there when I've passed by -- but it does make us wonder if we'll make it a regular place, since the potential for danger is there, and the owners seem to disregard the State Law regarding the 15' distance.

The other "complaint" I would pose is...we were the ONLY patrons there this afternoon and when my friend told the server that the music was not only loud, but unpleasant, she really shrugged it off. Instead offering to turn it down, or switch it to something different, she just said "that's what's playing right now" - kind of shocking, since the 'music' was so far out of mainstream (and it really was unpleasant). Also, keep in mind that the speakers were so loud that we couldn't talk and hear each other while dining.

The reason I give Ragin Cajun Restaurant a 4, is because the food is fabulous! BTW: the Chef personally came to our table to discuss the fresh seafood with us. He's a friendly fellow, and is well suited for customer service. The mussels are to die for! Can't wait to try the oysters next time - hard to find good ones in the middle of the country.

So, even with its shortcomings the food is so danged good, we can be almost certain - we'll be back.

• Visited December 2012
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Fantastic Food, Fun Entertainment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My wife and I used a Groupon to dine at Ragin' Cajun Piano Bar in downtown Alton over the weekend. The weather was harsh since Hurricane/Tropical Storm Isaac had made its way north, and they were having a slight issue with flooding in the downstairs restrooms, but they seemed to have a decent way of cleaning it up. Otherwise, everything about our visit was fantastic.

The entertainment usually starts between 9 and 10pm, and we arrived around 8, so there weren't a lot of people there yet, and our service was top-notch. Sally, our waitress, was very friendly and helpful, and our food was brought out in very decent time. I ordered the mussels appetizer, which was MUCH larger than I expected, and is made to share; I had it with the white wine sauce (red sauce is also available), and the mussels were large and tender. The garlic bread was tasty and toasted just right. My wife ordered the Bourbon Glazed Steak, which was large and tender, full of flavor. I had the Voodoo Burger, which was one of the best burgers I've had in a very long time -- thick and seasoned well, with mozarella cheese, jalapeno bacon, and a spicy voodoo sauce that had a nice sweetness to it. I almost couldn't finish it (but I love a challenge). Our sides were great, too; hush puppies for my wife, and sweet potato waffle fries with a honey mustard dipping sauce (great combo, BTW). We also enjoyed the house-made bread pudding, which is reminiscent of a funnel cake without being heavy with grease, and a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream on top. Fantastic.

This place is halfway between a dive bar and charming restaurant with its own unique character; seriously, right smack in the middle. The kitchen stays open late, and the later the night, the larger and crazier the crowd. There's a great view of the stage from pretty much anywhere inside, with seating on the ground floor and in the balcony, and the piano players do a great job of working the crowd and getting everyone involved -- having worked in improv comedy myself, I can tell you that if you really don't want to be called on, don't sit near the stage. They do all they can to get the crowd to participate, but they don't get obnoxious about it, which is a great way to get everyone to enjoy the show. The decor was somewhat forgettable, if you don't count the section of airplane in the dining room, which is pretty cool, and the mini leg lamps on the pianos.

HUGE selection of drinks, so there's no shortage of variety, and with the quality of the food, you really can't go wrong at this place.

• Visited August 2012