“Awful all around” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago-Algonquin

You added Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago-Algonquin to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago-Algonquin
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2595 Bunker Hill Drive, Algonquin, IL 60102 (Formerly Holiday Inn Express Chicago Algonquin)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Algonquin
Lincolnwood, Illinois
“Awful all around”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

I only stayed there one night with just one other friend. This place is just awful. The pool and jacuzzi looked like they weren't clean for years. The employees didn't seem to know what they were doing. I asked the front desk if they knew any good restaurants in the area, but they didn't know and told me if I had a smartphone to look it up, how rude. The room was decent. Their room service was non-existent. What really was ridiculous is that they charged me an extra hundred dollars couple days after my visit claiming I stole a pitcher, which I didnt. There weren't any pitchers in the room to begin with. Even if I did, what pitcher would a holiday inn have that is $100?! I do not recommend this place for anyone even if its just one night.

Room Tip: Awful all-around
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2011

After reading other reviews I was skeptical about this hotel. I stay in hotels over 100 nights a year and many of them are Holiday Inns so I have a pretty good frame of reference to work from.
The service and hospitality of the staff was great. The rooms are older and dated, however the hotel is updating the furnishings so that will be improved in near future. As a business traveler the wireless internet signal strength is important and it was very good here. The fitness room, though small, had two very good treadmills.
I left before the breakfast was served so I cant comment on that. It is located within a few miles of numerous restaurant choices and shopping.
If my travels take me back to that area I would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Key Largo, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

Most certainly the worst hotel stay of my life. Reserved a 2 room suite, presumably room being defined by wall and door so that my children could sleep quietly. Not so.

Dirty would be a strong word, but certainly not up to a major brand standard. Nasty crud in the ice bucket, and the furniture had never been moved for cleaning...if you have a 2 year old, you know how I found this out.

The pool was unsanitary. My local health department would have closed immediately as the floor drain was not visible. Instant violation.

We had an unbearable amount of noise from upstairs and all around late into the night. After calls to the front desk yielded no relief, I asked for the Manager On Duty. I was put on hold for 10 minutes and the same girl returned and informed me there was no Manager on Duty. Why it took her 10 minutes to figure that out, I am unsure. I asked when I would be able to speak with a manager, and she indicated Monday. It was Friday.

Unfortunately, it was Thanksgiving and there are not many other hotels close by, or I absolutely would have relocated. This is franchising at its worst.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010 via mobile

Customer service was absolutely horrible and extremely unaccomodating. Our room had wet stains on the sheets, hair and used soap in the bathtub. We were told there no managers on duty Friday through Monday and the attitude from the front desk was less than pleasant. Checked out of this hotel immediately and got a room elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2010
Des Plaines, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

We needed to stay in the Algonquin area overnight and this hotel was perfectly placed. Nothing fancy, it had all of the basis and a good staff. Nice, hot free breakfast and initial problems with phone in room were resolved quickly. Be warned, because of area sights and shopping places, many families with kids seem to stay here. We heard them running the halls but for the most part, the room was quiet. Overall, a fine small hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Syracuse, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2009

I don't have anything negative to say about this hotel - I was really happy with my stay here and didn't run into any of the problems previous reviewers have mentioned. This was one of the most friendly hotels I stayed at during my two-week business trip. The front desk clerk was so friendly and helpful, and greeted me with personality and humor that picked me up after day 8 of 10 on the road.

The room was clean and comfortable (your typical HIE set up). I didn't stay long enough for breakfast the next morning - I had an early morning meeting - so I can't comment on the availability of typical HIE products. But I slept well and was ready to go the next morning with no problems.

The hotel is located near a lot of good eateries. I kicked myself for not going to Giordanos which I passed by on the way in from the highway. There's a Borders nearby if you are a bookworm like me, and all sorts of chain resturants nearby (the closest was a Ruby Tuesday).

I'm very sensitive to cigarette smoke, and I didn't run into any issues with smoke at this hotel. I didn't even see people smoking in the front of the hotel. I also had no issues connecting to the internet, and was able to get quite a bit of work done online with no glitches or connection losses.

Maybe in the last few months since the last few negative reviews this place has gotten its act together, because like I said, I was quite comfortable here and would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling through the area.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

When we arrived the elevator was broken; when we went out for church at noon the elevator was broken. My eighty year old mother-in-law was made to wait at the desk for 15 min. to inquire as to whether or not her purse had been turned in while the desk clerk checked hotel guests out. What would it have taken to look under the desk for a purse? The air conditioner was so noisy you couldn't hear the tv; but you could hear a person snoring in the next room. We stayed two days - that will be the last two days we ever stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago-Algonquin? Share your experiences!