“The only way to Kayak!” 5 of 5 stars

Update attraction details
Ranked #23 of 370 activities in Maui
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Rent "See Through" Kayaks that allow you see all of the beautiful marine life, including sea turtles, dolphins, and color reef reef fish all in beautiful sunny Makena Bay, Maui, Hawaii!
Fair Oaks, California
“The only way to Kayak!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Derek and Kyle, the owners, are two great young men. They are very helpful by pointing out the best areas to find turtles and the rocky areas to avoid, and did we see turtles - when they swim under the kayak it's like looking at a photo - the detail is so clear and they are so big!! Thanks Derek and Kyle for a great Maui adventure!

Boise, Idaho
“Great adventure and awesome service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We were going to do traditional sea kayaking but then I spotted Clear Kayaks on the Trip Advisor site. Called Kyle from Oahu on Saturday and he set us up for a trip on Wed after we were to arrive in Maui. I like the fact that they allow you to book a trip without putting money down or a credit card etc. Kyle was early at Makena landing. Small glitch, we did not bring water (as Kyle told us to) I assumed that we could purchase some at the landing...wrong! So listen to Kyle and bring water or pick it up in town before you head down. The closest is The Shops at Wailea but obviously more expensive. Kyle was kind enough to stand by while I drove back and got the water. The guy is laid back and very friendly. He coached us on the best places to go in the bay. He also stands by in the area which is great. My wife was a little tentative about going in the ocean on a kayak but Kyle was very reassuring and gave us both confidence that we would do fine. We went at 8 am which I recommend. The water will be more clear and calm and it will be cooler. Although with our water purchase delay and the briefing, we didn't get on the water until 840. Here is another awesome thing about Kyle: he didn't start the 2 hour clock until we were actually underway, so as far as I can tell 2 hours means 2 righteous hours of floating. The trip itself was fantastic. Great viewing of the coast and of course sea life beneath your boat. You can make it a workout or take it slow and easy. He even attaches a small clock to the boat so you can keep track of the time. I also recommend you bring a small waterproof bag to store camera, phone, etc. I brought a backpack and was able to lash it to the bow but would downsize next time. They do ask you to remove your shoes and you are out on the water 2 hours so I would bring waterproof sunscreen. I actually brought a towel and draped it over my pale feet the last hour just in case. When you are ready to come in Kyle will be waiting in the surf to assist you in getting up to the beach and out of the kayak. All in all a great time and excellent customer service. Well worth the $75 and I will do this again when I return to Maui.

Vancouver, Canada
“The BEST”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

truly an amazing experience to be able to get so up close to so many giant sea turtles. Great service with attention to details. Clear bottom kayaks were equipped with large sponge (to clean the bottom for best viewing) and 2 pumps to get water out if needed. Kayaking out of Makena landing is so much better than kayaking out of the hotel front. This is A MUST for Maui and would definitely go with Clear Kayaks Maui again!!! Thanks, Kirk!

Visited September 2013
“Awesome kayaks and GREAT service!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

We went to Oahu for our trip and decided to go to Maui for one day and had seen the kayaks before and figured we wanted to try it. When we got there they were completely booked for two days, which really really bummed me out, I asked if they had any suggestions to other kayak rentals but wasn't really excited about it, about an hour later Derek called back and asked if I was still interested and if course I was ecstatic to get a call back letting us know someone had cancelled!! I love turtles and I was really looking forward to this because all the reviewers said they saw turtles so and how neat it was to be able to see them through the kayak so being able to actually try the kayaks and swim so close to the turtles was a very great experience, and I'm very thankful that they kept in contact and informed me about the cancellation. When we go back to Maui we are definitely kayaking with these guys again (this time were calling way ahead of time)

Visited August 2013
Holly Springs, North Carolina, United States
“Clear Kayaks Maui”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Awesome kayaking experience! Derek and Kyle gave us a great briefing on where to go and how to manage the kayak. $75/ 2hours. This is a great way to cover a lot of territory and still see below you as if you were snorkeling. I should have brought a mask for the times I got in the water to cool off. I would definitely do this again.