“Good place to visit” 5 of 5 stars

Attraction Details
Rockville, Maryland
“Good place to visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I went there for a conference. I had three free days to look around. The place is so beautiful and I can do a lot of things there: diving, fishing, watching shows, etc. The food price is reasonable and the food quality is good. I was very happy with it and I am planning to visit this place again when I get a vacation. It will worth it.

Visited January 2013

Coffs Harbour, Australia
13 attraction reviews
“Almost all around the Island in a week!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Last year we stayed in Maui for a week last year. It is a lovely Island, although it was very windy all the time we were there. We stayed in a Condo on the Golf Course at Kaanapali Beach across from a great shopping centre 'The Whalers' and the beach with all the big resorts.
We drove on pretty much every road on the Island, even the very narrow one around the top of the Island (don't think we were supposed to be on it). When we got to the top there is a lovely shop/gallery where you can buy T-Shirts "I survived the Road" - that says it all!
The Hanna Road gets all the good reports, but is very winding, narrow and nowhere to stop a lot of the time to take pictures of the beautiful views. We were advised to take a packed lunch, but except for a couple of stops at the Arborium (lovely) and waterfall, we got to Hanna at lunchtime and found a beautiful hotel. I don't know if you have to fly in to stay there, as you wouldn't want to drive the road too often they way some others drive.
The best drive we did there was to the Volcano National Park to see the Haleakala Crater. Absolutely amazing but windy up there, one of the most interesting Volcanoes we have been to (although dormant). Better than the one on the Big Island.
The best snorkelling spot that we went to is at Honolua Bay, a drive north of Kaapalani Beach. Black rock is well known, accessible, but not as good. On the other side near Wailea, Makena Bay is also quite good with the odd turtle around.
A lovely shopping centre at Wailea. Lahinia Town has lots of good restaurants and interesting art and craft shops along with the tourist ones.

Visited November 2012
Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii
“Saving Money in Maui”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I've lived on Maui since 1991, and even for a local it's expensive. I thought I'd share some of the tips for saving money - most are West Maui based (near Lahaina), as that's the area I live in. First of all, shopping at markets. In Lahaina you have just a few full on supermarkets: Safeway, Foodland and Foodland Farms. Safeway (located at Lahaina Cannery Mall, near Starbucks) has the lowest prices and the largest selection, but you'll want to make sure you have a Safeway Club Membership (it's free). Both Foodland and Foodland Farms don't have cards. Foodland is located near the other Starbucks in the Old Lahaina Center, and is more expensive. The most expensive is Foodland Farms, but it will also have a better selection of fine foods. This is kind of like the difference between Von's and Pavillions, Foodland Farms is more like Pavillions. As you travel north from Lahaina, there is Times Market in Honokowai, No Club Card here, and more expensive than Safeway, but convenient if you're staying in Honokowai. Then further north in Napili is Napili Market, owned by Foodland, but I think even a little more expensive than Foodland (maybe because the gas it costs to truck stuff up there?). Again, no Club Card. So of all the markets on the west side, Safeway will save you the most money.

No onto eating out. Most restaurants will have happy hours to save on drinks, and lots will have early-bird specials. Eating out is generally pretty pricey in Maui, but there are a few tricks to save money. For example, eating at Hula Grill in Kaanapali is expensive, but you'll save money if you opt to eat in the Barefoot Bar. In Lahaina, a great place for sandwiches under $10 is Take Home Maui. It's a small local place that has the best cut pineapple in Maui, but they also make great wraps and sandwiches. If you're into vegetarian or health food, Choice in Lahaina is great but super expensive - you'll save money by going to Honokowai Farmers Market store (and they have a special deal on the hot food bar about 1/2 hour before they close it up). Plus if you type in Maui Deals and look for the org, rather than the com, site, you can get tons of 50% off and other dining coupons for Maui - just print them out to be sure they are accepted, some places won't take the digital coupon.

Accomodations. Personally I think VRBO is your best bet for deals, unless you want a full service hotel. Be prepared to pay in advance, and they tack on maid service and taxes, but even still, most times you'll get a condo with a kitchen (which saves some money for food on Maui). Sometimes Craigslist has a good deal on vacation rentals too.

Car rentals. This is hit and miss. I don't suggest off brand car rentals personally for two reasons: One, it's harder to get back to the airport if you're in a rush; Two, the cars are usually older and the savings aren't worth it. I would compare online, book with a company that doesn't require prepayment, and then when you get to the airport walk up to each booth asking what their cheapest rental car is. You'd be amazed at the difference sometimes. That's because at booking time, before your trip, they don't know what the availability is going to be. If it ends up being that there are tons of cars, you'll probably get a better deal walking up to the booths when you arrive. If there is very limited availability, then you'll be happy you have a reservation. This is my best advice to save on car rentals.

Shopping for gifts. If you're looking for super cheap gifts, head for either K-mart or Walmart near the Kahului Airport when you arrive or before you depart (give yourself extra time). Other options that may have more unique items but still be pretty expensive are ABC Stores, Hilo Hattie, and Whaler's General. If you're looking for something really special, made in Hawaii, I suggest Sand & Sea in Paia, on the way to Hana. They do have some lesser expensive jewelry for kids and stuff too, plus jams and jellies made on Maui.

Driving and gas. There is no way really to save on gas other than at Costco, if you're a member. Costco will definitely have the cheapest gas on Maui. It's located very close to Kahului Airport.

Activities. To save the most amount of money you'll have to go to a Timeshare presentation. Some of the magazines offer a $125 Dining Certificate if you go, and I'm pretty sure that you can also get deals on activities when you take advantage of that deal, as it's an activity broker that offers the deal. Other than that you can look for coupons from the Maui deal site I mentioned earlier, and some of the magazines like Maui Magazine have coupons too. Some companies like Captain Steve's rafting have last minute deals if you call the night before and they have availability, and most companies offer a discount if you book online. One word of caution - if you're looking to go to Old Lahaina Luau they are often booked weeks in advance, so don't wait until you get to Maui to make your reservations. And there are rarely deals on that show as it's one of the most popular on Maui.

And there you have it - my tips to save money on Maui.

Visited October 2013
Wildwood, Missouri, United States
24 attraction reviews
“Best of Hawaii”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Maui may be the best of the Hawaiian Islands. It the most expensive, but our favorite. For snorkeling & diving, Maui is wonderful (we find the Big Island to be equal or better for diving). The beaches are great. the sightseeing is incredible w/ the Hana Hwy, white sand, black sand & even red sand beaches.

Visited October 2013
Sydney, Australia
4 attraction reviews
“Maui Paddlesports”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

On a recent (first) trip to Maui, my friend and i decided to 'try something different' - stand up paddleboard lesson. info@mauipaddlesports.com The online booking system was easy to use and we pre-booked before leaving Australia. On the afternoon before our lesson we called the office to get confirmation of our 'meeting location'. The office staff were extremely helpful and pleasant. As it turned out, our lesson - which would thought would be conducted in a 'group environment' - turned out to be just us two plus our instructor - Tara. Tara took us to a small beach where the waters were calm and uncluttered by other boarders. Her helpful tuition saw us 'stand up' on our first attempt. Her local knowledge of the waters kept us on track and away from the small reef that ran across the beach (about 50mts off shore). We loved paddleboarding and we loved our instructor- Tara - she was Awesome!!!!

Visited September 2013