“Humpback Weeks” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 52 Hotels in Maui
Harrah, OK
“Humpback Weeks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for three weeks & there were thousands of whales in the channel! Great views from the lanai or from the pool area. There were so many waterfalls at this resort that I lost track! The pool was fabulous & daily activities for everyone! Our room was newly renovated & very nice, plus the service was outstanding. Restaurants on site were fine, with the breakfast buffet the best. Happy hours at the poolside bar were a must every day (3-5). We also had another couple for two of the weeks and there was plenty of room for all. This was an Embassy Suites originally, but has been upgraded and was a great value for us!

Room Tip: The renovated rooms, for now are on the floors above the 8th, so try for those. And the higher floor...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
diamondresorts, Manager at Ka'anapali Beach Club, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
We are delighted to know that you had such a fabulous, rich in experience week at Ka'anapali Beach Club and we are glad that the level of our service and the standard of accommodation have contributed to you enjoying yourself whilst here with us. We hope to see you again in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Although its a big pink tower, I really enjoyed it there. We stayed there by trading points from a timeshare my parents own. We knew the top floors had been renovated, so upon check-in we wanted to ensure we got an ocean view in a renovated rooms. However, they are renovating all rooms floor by floor and I believe this should be completed in about a year. The rooms are great. Big, modern, clean. The bathroom is huge, the beds are comfortable and the kitchenette has all you need. We loved the pool area and happy hour. To get a discount off of some of our tours we attended a timeshare presentation. They say it will take 90 minutes but it took all morning but we saved $140 each off of a helicopter tour, so it was worth it in the end for me. I wouldn't mind owning a timeshare there but the maintenance fees were ridiculous. The location is great, lots to do in the area, close to Lahaina but you will need a car.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Be prepared to be sold to wherever you go at this hotel. The hotel is interested in selling you a timeshare and will offer you discounts on tours and activities and free breakfast but you will need to endure presentations and heavy selling of timeshares. We travelled as a group of single women (age 30-40) and were told we'd receive a welcome pack, free breakfast and discounts if we visited concierge. From the moment concierge decided we weren't eligible for a timeshare, they couldn't wait to get rid of us - we got no welcome pack and apparently weren't able to get onto any tours either. They also seem to receive commission on certain activities as they tried to push us toward certain tours and activities. They also told us there was only one place that did massages despite there being several day spas at hotels nearby.
The rooms are spacious and very nice. The bathroom is huge and lovely and there is a good sized kitchen so you can save money making your own food (supermarket across the road).
The pool area is very nice (although a bit pink!) and they had girls and boys doing hula dancing as free entertainment. Shame about the men who attend the pool service desk. They were constantly trying to sell us Maui Jim sunglasses - very annoying and they're really over the top with it.
The restaurant/bar area is nice, with great meals. We found all the wait staff to be excellent - by far better than concierge and reception. The restaurant could do with a slight revamp as it is similar to the very popular Dukes restaurant nearly (which is packed) but not as modern.
It would be good to hire a car to travel a bit further out in Maui as you are a bit restricted to to the local shop and a few nearby hotels. The Westin Spa Helani nearby is excellent - I'd recommend the 50min lomi lomi massage - amazing and you get all day day spa access although it is pricey. Dukes Restaurant next door has a great atmosphere and great food.
Suggest booking activities, tours and restaurants in advance - they get packed out quickly.
Overall, it was a great hotel for the price but you need to be ready to let all the selling wash over you otherwise it'll just wind you up!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
diamondresorts, Manager at Ka'anapali Beach Club, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
First of all, thank you for choosing Ka'anapali Beach Club for your visit to Hawaii and for sharing your experience.
Naturally, we are delighted to hear that the service experience delivered by our team received your appreciation.
In terms of your comments referring to the sales pressure you have experienced whilst on site -we would like to offer our apologies for any dissatisfaction this may have caused you and assure you that we do not advocate 'pushy' sales approach and encourage all guests who feel inconvenienced to contact our reception team. We hope to see you again soon and in the meantime, we wish you safe travels!
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We came back to Maui and especially to this resort. We stayed here in Nov 2010 and had a good time but we wanted to see the whales this time. The resort is even better than last time and the staff are so pleasant and helpful. On the last day my wife was standing on the balcony looking out to the sea when she saw a whale breaching right in front of her eyes. We would love to go back again but living in the UK it means a very long journey, not to mention the cost of airfares !

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
diamondresorts, Manager at Ka'anapali Beach Club, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
We are very pleased to welcome you back to our resort and proud to be your first choice resort in the area. Our staff will be delighted to hear that you felt that they were very pleasant and helpful. We are thrilled that you were pleased with our improvements and that you fulfilled your goals of whale watching with your wife. We hope that your stay was a memorable one and that you will visit us again in the future!
Wallington, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

My parents had gotten a timeshare from a friend for their anniversary, and we decided to take a family trip back in June (March-April trip). As time progressed, I was able to acquire another room for a similar price for my girlfriend and I. First off, the grounds are very tidy, the building is not a "big pink monster" as some of these people say, it's not any less tasteful than any other 15-20 story building on a beautiful beach. The pool is great, they have a volleyball net in it, waterfalls, hot tubs, and even a kiddie pool. There's a little surf/snorkel shop between it and the beach so you can set up activities or just rent some gear for the day. I will say that the beach area is a bit limited especially during high tide, but who wants to just sit on the hotel beach when you're in beautiful Maui!?

Parking was free, and there was I think a $6 resort fee per day. The rooms were GORGEOUS and super spacious. The bathroom is enormous and it has a huge bathtub with separate enclosed stand-up shower and a little toilet room. Tiny standalone sink on one side, and a full vanity with additional sink for the misses on the other. The room had two 42" TVs of good quality (although the TV programming was severely lacking). One was in the bedroom, and the other was on the opposite side of the wall in the living room. The kitchen was small, but adequate, with a full fridge, full range of dishes, dishwasher, microwave, coffee machine, and in a cabinet we found a toaster and electric cooktop. When the bellhop brought us our bags, he said we were the first ones to be in the room after the new carpet was installed. It all looked and smelled brand new. We were on the 8th floor. My parents were on the 5th floor, and their room was identical (except for the carpet.) We had a good sized balcony with a partial ocean view to the North, overlooking Molokai. On clear mornings, it was breathtaking. Hotel staff cleaned the room once in the middle of our stay, which was sufficient. Sleeping was a breeze, the place was very, very quiet.

We booked a snorkel trip to Molokini through the concierge, and of course they had their "timeshare info session" discount, but we didn't take it. They didn't bother us about it again.

The food was good as well. Their buffet breakfast was $15 a person, and there was a custom omelette station where the guy was an absolute pro. Happy hour at the pool bar was good, but on all nights, it was pretty empty. There were some kids around, but not too many to be a nuisance. On nights, we either went to Lahaina or to a nearby restaurant like Duke's (which is fantastic but $$$$) and overall had a memorable time.

I would definitely recommend this property for any occasion!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
California Hot Springs, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

By a freak mix up, we ended up here. Run down pink pyramid monster . Great rooms however..but Ocean View means partial Oceanview. 25$ resort fee a day unacceptable.. Plus they will try to charge you 25$ for towles !!! Go to the store & buy your own folks.
Pool great...Happy hour also good at bar. But there's a weird vibe because of the Timeshare thing & I got 2 weird phone calls from Las Vegas before I got there from Diamond Tesrts. Why bother ?? Stay somewhere more groovy..

• Stayed April 2013
Northern Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stayed here with my husband using my parent's timeshare points as gift toward our honeymoon.
I came in without too high of expectations since timeshare properties can sometimes be pretty rundown. We were lucky to be assigned to the top floor, which had just undergone renovation. So the rooms looked brand new, clean and modern!
The building levels are open air--meaning you get the wonderful Hawaiian breeze blowing through (okay, sometimes the breeze is QUITE STRONG on the top floor) and magnificent views. I liked this much better than being in an enclosed hallway.
The pool area was nice--could be a bit crowded with kids but there was a hot tub and small water slide and a large pool. I usually don't bother with hotel pools but since this property, though a waterfront property, doesn't really have a REAL usable beach, I appreciated that they had a decent size pool area and did make a few visits.
I remember being welcomed warmly on arrival even though we were tired and probably looked disheveled and cranky.
The unit was spacious, comfortable, with a wonderful balcony. We had a deluxe ocean view and I enjoyed sitting outside (warning, the balconies are close together so if others are also outside, well--just hope they aren't the loud obnoxious types).
This building is also very close to the airport so you don't have a long commute on arrival and departure. I do wish it was a bit more convenient (walkable) to usable beaches, but alas we had to drive to get to those. It is a waterfront property but the stretch of sand is so narrow and sloped its really just better for walking on, I did see people put down a towel and lay there but its not for me, I'd want a REAL beach. As a nice walk by the ocean, it works. There are shared laundry facilities in the hallways--you may have a wait to use them. Overall, I'd stay here again, and I told my parents they should use their timeshare points for themselves and try this place out. I was pleasantly surprised by the comfort and amenities here.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
diamondresorts, Manager at Ka'anapali Beach Club, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
We are really glad to know that you had such a lovely time here at Ka'anapali Beach Club and could relax and celebrate your honeymoon with us - we are delighted that you have chosen us as the destination to enjoy this special time. We hope that you and your family will be visiting us again and we are looking forward to hosting you. Thank you for your review!

Been to Ka'anapali Beach Club? Share your experiences!