“Best pool, excellent staff, very well-maintained property” 5 of 5 stars

Ka'anapali Beach Club
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   104 Kaanapali Shores Place, Maui, HI 96761   |
Ranked #41 of 52 Hotels in Maui
San Francisco, California
“Best pool, excellent staff, very well-maintained property”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

We stayed here on a timeshare exchange for 5 nights, and were very surprised by how well the place was run, the friendly staff, the pool and grounds. It's an older property in excellent condition with a large maintenance crew. The pool is our favorite on Maui, and literally steps from the beach. Our unit overlooked the pool (south) which was great, though not as quiet as facing another direction. It was remodeled, clean, and spacious. I believe the category was 1-bedroom ocean view deluxe. The kitchen had everything but a stove/oven, oddly enough (you can cook with the microwave or electric frying pan).
Dining on the property was limited. Buffet-only breakfast (average), plus the casual outdoor bar and grill for lunch or dinner. The dinner dining room had closed. No room service and limited pool drink service.
A lively welcoming atmosphere, but not pretentious or exclusive. We'd gladly return.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

We honeymooned here last month. All in all, I'd call it a nice property that is very well-maintained. The staff were generally friendly and helpful. The location is nice -- right on a small beach and with lovely views. We had an ocean view room, but it appeared to me that most rooms have some kind of view. We were offered the lagoon view but thought the ocean view was nicer. The cons: internet service is VERY dicey -- it seems the resort is in negotiations with the internet company and the service is intermittent because of that. The parking spaces are small, the paper products are cheap, and the pool could use a few more umbrellas. Those are minor complaints though. The real issue for me was the noise. Even had they not been doing construction on the upper floors, the place is noisy! The housekeeping carts rolling on the tile floors are constant, so there is little sense of peacefulness these days. If you go, insist on the uppermost floors or face the noise.

Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

This was a timeshare for us. We arrived late and was disappointed with our view (RCI sells the concept but doesn't deliver the best of each location it offers). We called the manager, Shane, and he stepped up and found a workable solution. He got us a solution before the end of the 1st morning! We got an outstanding view and would recommend this location to anyone strictly based on how much care Shane puts towards delighting the customer. He did a outstanding job which we won't soon forget!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a "deluxe" suit
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

This was a long carefully planned trip & after long careful decision we picked the Ka'napali beach resort as the resort that was the best fit for all of us. The resort is great nothing luxurious but good enough to fit our eeds such as spacious rooms, kitchen and living room. Overall staff were extremely nice and welcoming. We decided to try happy hour at our hotel after our first day there the bartenders during thr first 3 days of our stay were outstanding, nice and attending to our needs however on our 4th day at the hotel we decided to join happy hour again and we encounter Teresa one of the bartenders at the bar that day. She was extremely rude and had poor customer service. She rudely ask for our ID's which I totally understand its part of her job. Now keep in mind the previous 4 days we were never carded which is why we no longer brought our drivers license with us. Keep in mind we were all in our late twenties early thirties. My problem is no her asking but her approach and rudeness. We were okay with that. We then sai can we order pizzas and she rudely pointed to us to place our order across from the bar/restaurant were happy hour takes place. We have no problem walking a few steps but during the previous days we had never been told to go over to the other side and order; it was so clear she wanted nothing to do with us. I felt I was treated like an animal to go get my food on the other side. I didn't appreciate it because everyone had been so nice and when I told 2 other servers and cashier on the other use they said "oh that's Teresa that's just how she is" to me that is not okay you can't treat customers or co workers Rudy just because thats your personality. I do not tolerate rude people or bullies it was clear tous that she had been equally rude to the staff as well. We proceeded to peak with Alicia which was the manager on staff & although she was polite she constantly defended Teresa. I understand standing up for your staff but not to the point were you make you customer feel as if you were lying. I ad to point out to Alecia to look a little further because if her employees felt the same way abou this individual then something must be going on. She a greed to look ino the situation. I was truly disappointed and I hate to write this negative review but I simply do not tolerate rude people or bullies. To the employees it may be norther day at their job, but to us this was our long waited vacation to Hawaii. I hope our complaint maes a difference and remedial training is provided to this individual and remind them that customer service is their focus. By the way manager on duty never apologized for incident which is unfortunate. I will not be recommending this resort to friends and family.

The overall experience was good at this resort. I am just disappointed the rudeness from this individepual. Keep in mind there replenty of other resorts that would be willing to take your business.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

My family and I had a fabulous week at the KBC in Maui in early April (and a second week at The Point at Poipu in Kauai – see separate review). The real asset of KBC is its staff (especially the front desk), but the immaculate public areas, ponds, gardens, waterfalls and pools are a close second in the plusses of this place. Also worth mentioning was that there were plenty of beds around the pool, which has been one of my biggest complaints about Diamond resorts in the past. OK the rooms are showing their age slightly, but they were large, light and airy with a huge bathroom. I have to agree with other reviewers that the kitchens were very under equipped, no kettle for a British visitor who loves his afternoon tea was a huge shock, we ended up using the rice pot to heat up the water, that said I didn’t come all the way to Maui to eat in, especially with the wonderful Lahania and its restaurants only a short drive away!
Travelling with a young family (children aged 12 and 10) having onsite activities is very important, and this was another area that KBC excelled in. The Activities Centre was well equipped (with table tennis, small bowling alley, games consoles, fussball, air hockey and mini golf), the staff were superb, keeping my daughter occupied for hours on end with games, arts and crafts. KBC is located right on the beach but to be honest its worth either a short drive up to Kapalua or to the South side of Black Rock for perfect lagoon type conditions and snorkelling, although there is decent snorkelling just to the front of KBC there is strong currents and rips in places so be careful. Also just a short 2 min walk south down the beach towards Dukes restaurant will bring you to a better and calmer beach at the North side of Black Rock.
The on-site bars and cafes were excellent, we ate lunch a few times and the pizzas were very tasty, although the breakfast buffet was also good (especially the omelettes – bam!), I thought it was slightly over priced at $50 for a family of 4. There were also BBQ’s for use hidden on the North side of KBC, but we didn’t use them as the restaurant options were so vast. We would definitely like to return to KBC and Maui sometime in the future just need to save up the $5k for the flights.

Room Tip: Visit Lahania, excellent restaurants and shopping. Excellent Activities Centre for the kids.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Orange new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

My fiancé and I was just there the week of April 21rst, and I must say that we really enjoyed our vacation, the staff was very very inviting, helpful, and this was one of the vacations that we can say we really relaxed, the luau at the other hotel was very enjoyable, we rented a car and explored the other islands on our time and just took it all in, it was very nice to have a balcony suite, where we could open up our curtains and see the sun set and rise, and still enjoy the fantastic view, housekeeping was always making sure the rooms were clean, and well as the maintainence staff, they were ALWAYS making sure the grounds of the hotel was spectacular, and the big PLUS of it all, was that since the rooms were equipped with fridge,stove,utensils and cooking ware, it was the best to have a supermarket directly across the street where you could enjoy the foods that you want instead of spending a lot of money at restaurants especially if you bring the children..... I would recommend this resort to all of my friends...

THANKS TO THE STAFF AT KAANAPALI BEACH CLUB RESORT, SINCERELY YHUNDRA & PHILIP DAVIS.

Glendale California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Ka'anapali Beach Club for a week. Our suite was clean and in good condition. The staff was professional and friendly. The only problem we had concerned some out side activities that were recommended at an orientation meeting that we attended on the first monday we were there. We took three of the recommended activities: the Kupeanla Magic show and it was fun we had a good time. Unfortunately the other two left a lot to be desired. We went to the crater at Molokine for snorkeling, the snorkeling was good, the snorkeling boat was not. The trip was run by Quick Sliver and their boat was not clean and needed maintenance. The deck non skid was warn out and more then one person fell. The trip is advertised as having breakfast and lunch. Breakfast consisted of some muffins cut in to small pieces and sliced pineapple; the lunch was no better. I have been on many small boats while on vacation and this was the worse one by far.
The other activity the was a looser was the Princess Sunset Dinner cruise. When the ship came in to port my wife and I could not believe it was the ship we would be on. It looked nothing like the picture we were shown. When you go aboard all passengers set at tables on the top deck. You can't walk around, you just set. The food was below average and we were could not wait to get off.
Other then the above we had a great time and we plan to go back soon