“Whales swam right in front of the resort every day!” 5 of 5 stars

Ka'anapali Beach Club
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   104 Kaanapali Shores Place, Maui, HI 96761   |
Ranked #41 of 52 Hotels in Maui
Bishop, California
“Whales swam right in front of the resort every day!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Great resort. Lovely views. Very helpful staff. Clean and updated. My husband and I had a "second honeymoon" here. It was romantic and the staff was very helpful. Loved it!

Room Tip: Request deluxe ocean front
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
Davis, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We have stayed here many times, beginning in 2000. We are owners and bought here when it was still owned by Embassy. The resort has changed quite a bit since those days, and mostly not for the better.

The good parts: The location and view are fabulous. We absolutely love the twin views of Lana'i and Moloka'i from the balcony, pool, and beach areas. We like that it's a quieter part of Ka'anapali Beach but still close to everything. The property is beautiful; the pool/beach area are just great. When our kids were little, they loved the pool. The suites are spacious and much nicer than a standard hotel room with a huge bath and a living room and kitchenette.

The downsides: The service has deteriorated massively since the ownership change. The last time we were there, we had to wait past the 4 p.m. check-in time to get our room. We had booked a deluxe ocean view suite, and they tried to put us in one with a great view of the POOL and a side view of the ocean. We had stayed in deluxe ocean view before and knew the difference, and after an hour or so of wrangling with the front desk, we finally got a satisfactory room. But it was a stressful, unhappy way to begin our vacation, and seemed downright deceitful to me.

You no longer get daily housekeeping or even towel service. In the Embassy days, we got daily housekeeping, free happy hour, and a discounted breakfast if you wanted one. I understand that most time share properties do not have these things, but having been there before the changeover, it feels like a take-away.

The kitchenette is great for breakfast, snacks, and drinks, but other than a microwave, you can't cook. There are gas BBQs down by the pool, and there is a supermarket (including ready-to-eat deli meals) across the street. So it's not quite the same as a condo with a full kitchen, but it's pretty satisfactory most of the time. The restaurants on site are pricey and not that good--the coffee is OK. It's fine for sitting on the deck and having a cocktail for the sunset, but other than that, there are much better places to eat on Maui.

All that said, we love the view and the location so much that despite the drawbacks, we keep coming back!

Room Tip: The deluxe ocean view suites are amazing.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

Rooms - Nice room, we had a deluxe ocean view. We got ocean side, had a great view. When we arrived we had similar ocean-side view except overlooking parking lot, they were very nice & changed our room (as we requested) to over-looking the pool, much nicer. TRUTH ABOUT SKILLET: It's not that bad! I expected an electric frying pan; It's big, rectangular and deep. I was able to boil water and make a box of pasta in it. Hopefully that gives you a better idea of what it is. It has temperature control (I guess for stews) and a lid.

Resort - Nicer than expected, I would say it is similar to the average (not high end) Marriott time share resorts. Waterfalls around pool are a nice effect and the Koi ponds are lovely. Snack bar & towel hut could be updated to look like they belong (give a "tiki hut" appearance). Resort is clean, well kept. Pool has waterfall in a separate small pool, & there is a slide on the other side. Pool is good size, no trouble finding chairs. It was WINDY so make sure all is held down (tuck towels, etc.). Right on the beach, beautiful sunsets. Beach is narrow, we did not use it except to watch sunset. Ate at resort a couple of times, food was fine, prices were not bad. Happy hour prices are great. Friday at the pool was very nice, they have music and games for kids (water balloon toss), hula dance presentation, hot dogs & grilled cheese sandwiches w/ cotton candy. It seemed like a fun day for all!

Sales presentation - Horrible. As soon as she knew we were not going to buy, she got a puss on her face and pouted the whole time - very unprofessional.

Island - Very nice. One thing no one mentions about Haleakula sunrise is the parking lot. We were up at 2am (easier to do a day or 2 after arriving for those from Eastern US) and were out at 2:30, arrived at summit by 4:30 for sunrise at 5:30. Once the summit lot is full they close it and people have to go to the visitor's center a little lower - still an awesome view. It appeared to us that once that lot was full cars were turned back. So make sure you are early enough to get in. We were early enough to get up to the summit lot. After sunrise you can hike around & in the crater; we didn't, we drove back and stopped at Kula Lodge for a nice breakfast - opens at 7. We took a tour for Road to Hana w/ Valley Isle Excursions, they said to bring bathing suits, etc. It was great but unfortunately we did not get to go swimming in any waterfalls. Whenever we stopped it was too quick a stop and the final one - 7 Sacred Pools was too short for anything other than the walk to, then up along the pools. The pools were closed for swimming that day but even if, there would not have been enough time to walk around and swim. Teralani sunset sail was nice, open bar and appetizers, some of the ones I looked at only included the first 2 drinks. Having been to Kauai and Oahu, I must say that I was surprised at how dry Maui is. I expected it to be like Kauai - since everyone said Maui is paradise. Yes, the resort is on the dry side of the island, reminded me a bit of Arizona, and because it is such a large island it takes well over an hour (maybe 2) to get to the greener, rain forest side.

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Tampa, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

Spacious, nicely appointed suites. Former Embassy Suites building that is now owned by Diamond Resorts timeshare company. Diamond has upgraded everything in the rooms, including Granite counter tops & tile shower and flooring. We had a 1 bdrm Deluxe Ocean View unit. Very comfortable bedding, spacious bathroom with 2 sinks so my wife & I could get ready the same time.

A nice range of on-site eating options from pizza to casual restaurant to upscale dining on certain nights. They now have a luau as well on Wednesdays. A bar by the beautiful pool area is convenient.

We were very pleased with virtually everyone we came in contact with on the staff. They seemed to truly be living Aloha and all were helpful.

We liked renting a gazebo & spending a day on the beach. They send servers around to offer to get drinks for you. They also offered daily scuba & snuba lessons on the property.

Kaanapali was a great base location for seeing Maui, as well.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Central Coast, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

The facts:
* $16 / day parking fee, but if you didn't ask about fees when you booked then it's your fault.
* resort appears to be dated but then upgraded - the tiles in the halls are an 80's blue, but the rooms have new carpet, granite counters, etc. However there is popcorn on the ceiling (showing the age)
* cabana's require a rental fee
* the beach isn't all that
* there's a fee for the internet

The Pros:
* The staff could not be nicer. No two ways about it everybody here is TOP NOTCH!!
* The bathroom is HUGE
* The layout of the room is great
* The is a "strip mall" walking distance from the resort. The mall has a grocery store, pizza joint, Mexican food, scuba and surf board rental, etc.
* Good location for seeing the island

The Cons:
* the $16 a day parking, but if it's a surprise to you it's your own fault
* the internet fee, but really in this day and age, hook your laptop up to your smart phone (that's what I'm doing now for this review), or use your ipad or other tablet
* the beach isn't all that
* the store on site is outrageous (just don't shop there) the bottle water we got for $3 a case down the street was $14 here
* there is no fan in the bathroom. I'm here with my wife so I don't care too much but if I wasn't married and it was a hot week with a girl I was just getting to know there is nothing to mask the noise of the bathroom....
* The kitchenette has no stove or oven, just a hot plate
* breakfast buffet is $15 and it's only eggs, bacon, pancakes, and fruit ... not worth it ... go to gazebo restaurant which is a 5 minute drive

Bottom Line:
We will be back. My wife and I came here with our 9 month old daughter. The room was comfortable, nice, and we like the location (not for walking on the beach, but ease of access to the island).

Do not be swayed by the poor reviews. My wife is VERY particular and almost every where we go she makes us change rooms at least once every place we go. however we checked in, came to our room, and my wife said, WOW I LOVE THIS ROOM.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

This was our third stay at this resort, this time during Christmas. Our room was spacious and had a small kitchen. Each of the rooms in which we have stayed have been similar. We had a view of the ocean and the pool area. The staff are always pleasant and helpful. We planned our activities via the activities desk, which was great. We rented a private cabana on the beach for a couple of days. While relaxing on the beach we ordered cheeseburgers & fries from the grill and I was very impressed. The view from the beach was awesome, we could watch whales breaching from the Pacific. During our stay we dined at the restaurant for breakfast and dinner. The breakfast bar had a great selection and the food was also good. I ordered fish and chips during our dinner and I was pleasantly surprised. I think these were the best fish and chips that I have ever eaten. Yes, there are charges for about everything but I don't mind paying when the food/spa/cabanas are such of high quality.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Anchorage
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

We stayed at KBC as a timeshare week. We couldn't complain about ANYTHING! I The reason I only gave 4 stars for the value portion is because I think that they charge way too much for rooms, if you are not booking through a timeshare. I dont know, maybe they can charge that much because of the location. It is right on the beach and the views are amazing.

We stayed on the 10th floor in room 1004
The room was very spacious, especially the bathroom! Which is nice because we were using that room the most. Between the wet clothes and sweimsuits from the pool, or sandy clothes from the beach, it was nice to have that much space in the bathroom to really clean up and hang things. There are two sinks in the bathroom, that is great because the kiddos had their own space. The toilet also has its own little room with a door. Except I will say one thing, we couldnt find a fan for it, which kinda "stunk", so to speak.

Countertops in kitechen were nice and the coffee maker was very nice and new. Kitchen gets an A+ especially since it had a dishwasher!

Furniture was clean, but could use and update.

The pool was AWESOME! It was very big, and never felt crowded. My kids loved the kids pool too. They could have stayed in that thing all day. It has a waterslide, which was used by the adults too! The beach is nice, I mean its not great, but hey you're in Hawaii, with the warm sun and the soft sand, so its hard to be unhappy. I have been to MExico and the sand here at this beach was way softer, and the snorkeling was great. You have to go a ways out, like past the buie (but not far) My husband say sea turtles here. We also saw whales from our balcony.

Drinks are amazing, normal prices for fruity bar drinks, but at 3-6 I beleive, is happy hour where they are half off. The beachside restaraunt actually has great food. Very good quality, worth the money. The buffett breakfast, is just OK, I think its overpriced ($15 pp) for what you actually eat. Kids eat free so that is always a plus.

There is a small strip mall right across the street with restaraunts and such, plus a full service grocery store, which was very helpful, we made dinner almost every night. The gift shop in the hotel also has everything you need, milk, bread, cereal, etc. but prob a little pricier than the grocery store. They also sell cases of beer, and alcohol, so that mght be something to consider before paying for high price drinks at the bar.

All in all I think that this place is wonderful, the people are VERY friendly, and no one makes you feel like you are asking too much. Its clean and comfortable with a great location.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family