“A must for hiking in beauty!” 5 of 5 stars

Maui Hana Coast Day Trip
Ranked #36 of 313 things to do in Maui
Activities: Hiking
More attraction details
Owner description: Located at Oheo Gulch, the Bamboo Forest offers good hiking.
Austin
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“A must for hiking in beauty!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

We pulled over and started our hike through the bamboo forest. We don't hike much, but we were able to get through it so I think most people can. Just wear the proper hiking sandles that can get wet. Just beautiful towering bamboo and you will be rewared with the waterfall and pool at the end.

Visited September 2013

California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Unbelievably beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

The Bamboo Forest was so beautiful and worth taking the hike. I have amazing photos! Definitely a must do while visiting Maui! Wear lots of mosquito repellent!

Visited August 2013
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great Hike, not easy, directions are difficult”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Best Hike on Maui...so much fun...but not for someone out of shape or has balance issues. Directions were tricky...it's between the 6 and 7 mileage marker (Hana Hwy) on the right while headed towards Hana. You'll have to park on the side of the road...we went on a Sunday...come early as it may be impossible to park close. The opening to the trail is very small, can barely see from road...it's covered in bamboo. Once your in there is an immediate drop (mud, rocks). If it's raining...the entire trip will be very slick with mud...and all the stream crossings will be swift. It was great weather when we went. There are a few fun obstuctions along the way, first one is a 15+ foot climb up a wet rock face...there is a rope to help pull you up. There are several places to make your way up to the falls, on massive rocks, muddy side trails. The first falls you get to to okay...you'll need to be able to scale a 15+ ladder, it has a rope, but tricky. Second falls is better...but must climb up the face of the falls. On the way back, must be able to jump in the water (10' drop) to make it back. If able the last falls is a must, but your have to swim up the stream about 150m, once there, the falls are amazing...200'+ drop. Can jump off the face, but it is extremely difficult to climb. Water is about 10-12' deep, two places to jump off...one 20', the other one around 45'. Water temp is not to cold, but refreshing. Took us about 2 hours, including some stops to swim. Of course the bamboo is cool...good luck...and be safe.

Visited August 2013
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Must do!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

I am so glad I hiked through the bamboo forest! Originally, I planned to hike after watching the sunrise in Haleakala national park. I later found out that I was another 2 hours away. The bamboo forest is located at that park, however it is actually 30 minutes past the road to hana trip. I left kihei at 7 am and after hiking/stopping along the way to hana, I reached the hiking trail to the bamboo forest around 1230-1pm. I'll admit, I had a throbbing headache and was tired, and kept wanting to turn around, however, the hikers who were on their way out were so encouraging. They kept saying that it was totally worth it. It took about 30-40 minutes to get to the bamboo forest, and an hour to reach the waterfall at the end. It was breath taking!!! Make sure to wear shoes, because the rocks are slippery and you have to cross 2 small streams. On my trek back, I saw the faces of the other hikers and they looked so tired. I happily gave them encouragement and gave them an estimated time to their destination. So to all of you who are completing the hike, if you see tired faces, lift up their spirits! This is definitely a must do!

Visited June 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“it's a walk to remember”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

i only recommend this hike in proper shoes, my friends and i did it in flipflops...not recommended...at all. once in the bamboo, i had to stop myself and just "be" the sound it makes swaying in the wind, the light coming through it...everything about it was "magical"
this is one of those experiences that will stay with me forever, it is that good.

Visited April 2013