“Do not travel this road if you do not have nerves of steel.” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #218 of 313 things to do in Maui
Activities: Driving
More attraction details
Owner description: Maui's northern coastal scenic route.
Macomb, Michigan
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Do not travel this road if you do not have nerves of steel.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

My wife and I are on our honeymoon. My District Manager told me not to take Highway 340 and how he was scared the entire time. We decided to try it and took breaks along the 16 mile road to enjoy the scenery. We were very lucky it was not that packed. There are no warnings signs of telling us not to travel this road. There is a lot risk, but the reward is great with the breath taking scenery. There is a great local artist Shop that is great and we purchased two souvenirs. I wish we stopped at Julie's Banana Bread Stand, but it is hard to look when your making hair pin turns constantly. The Picture are worth it, but please do not drive your car off the cliff. Trust me one wrong turn and your dead.

Lloydminster, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Don't do it!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

My husband and I didn't know anything about this road and spontaneously decided to take this road back from a day in Kahului. BIG mistake! By the time you realize what you are in for there is no place to turn around, then you keep thinking that it can't get any worse. This road is basically one way all the way and only the width of a car. Because we didn't know anything about the road we ended up travelling 3/4 of it in pitch dark. The only good thing about that was that you could see the headlights of someone coming but that just gave you extra time to think about how screwed you were because there was no way to get around each other. At one point we had to meet with the driver in the road to access who was going to back up in the dark (you really need another person to help with this if you aren't going to hit the mountain (with the rental car) or plunge down the cliff). He told us the road ahead was fine that it was just the last mile that was bad. We told him that he should turn around at the village ahead because it just got worse. After having to back up his car on sheer cliff face he didn't need any convincing.

As we were driving we saw several crosses w/lei's memorials on the fences - is this what the other reviewer saw as spiritual? I'd call it a very sad warning. All I could think of was the family I left at home and the foolhardy nature of what we were doing. If we were to break down what would we do? No cell phone service, tow trucks can't get up there, not to mention we could start to smell that our brakes were getting hot (not a great feeling in a rental car - just what were the brakes like anyway?).

What good are the views if you can't pull out and the driver has to keep his eyes on the road every instant? There are great views all over Hawaii - don't travel this road for that! And if you want an adrenaline rush stick with extreme rafting or helicopter rides....Much safer.

I would never have taken such a risk had we known and I am very upset with the Hawaiian Transportation Dept. for not marking this road clearly. Afterwards we saw it marked in tiny letters on only one of the many,many maps we had as"local traffic only".

For the average traveler this road is not worth it!! If you're flipin' nuts and want to take stupid risks - go for it.

Oh and one last note - don't tell your car rental agency what you did - I was told this road was forbidden by them.

Visited January 2012
Toronto, Canada
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Brilliant drive but dangerous in parts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

This drive begins just where the state highway ends. The road gets very narrow and literally hangs off the side of the West Maui Mts. The drive is beautiful but the driver won't get to see much as they'll be concentrating on not driving the car down a cliff a few hundred feet high! Be prepared to meet other cars at very narrow points on the road.
You pass through a small little village on the way that reminded me of The Other's camp from lost. Apparently you can pick up the best banana bread in the world here but the stand was closed when we passed.
Don't set out on this drive close to sunset. It would be very difficult to do in the dark.
**The most important thing to check though is your car rental agreement. Most rental companies in Maui do not let you drive on this road. Doing so will void your contract if they find out. I didn't know this before we set out!!
There are a few roads like this in Maui including the road down to La Perouse bay just after Makena so be sure to ask if you are covered.**

Visited October 2011
Topeka
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Heed All Warnings”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

Highway Route 340 is a misleading description of this 'road'.

My wife and I were out for a leisurely drive around the NW part of Maui - Highway 30 I believe, following the coast, watching the whales just off-shore. This is beautiful country. As we continued, we read the signs (danger, falling rocks), but didn't fully comprehend what they were trying to say.

I vividly remember driving uphill, on the side of a good size hill while the road was still 'maintained', seeing a sign that said State Highway Ends, Narrow Road next 16 miles. This is where Hwy 30 becomes 340. Just past this sign, the road turns around the edge of the hill and the road changes. I swear that I couldn't see the road on both sides of the Jeep we were driving - I didn't think the road would have been wide enough for our Mini Cooper! We also couldn't turn around - there just wasn't any room.

For the next hour or so, we crawled up and down the sides of the cliffs on this road. Only by the blessings of God, we didn't meet any traffic except at 'wide' parts of the road.

Midway through the road, there is a neat little village (Kahakuloa) that the road meanders through. Just outside this village is a very nice art studio. One of the pictures is of this village. Past the village, the road improves - not nearly as terrifying, but still not what I would call a Highway...

I'll never drive Hwy 340 again, but Hwy 30 is certainly worth driving - up to where it ends!

Visited December 2010
Mosinee, Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“If you are nuts...go right ahead...hwy 340 maui”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

Dear reader, my husband and I are on our honeymoon and just traveled the death defying hwy 340 on the north end of maui, hi. Unknown to us, the 2 lane hwy turns into a beautiful, scenic death plunge of white knuckle driving for what seems to be a forever drive. Not only were we unprepared, drove it from east to west (big mistake), but we had no survival kit, water (thank God we got gas when we left Pa'ia)...and oh yeah, don't get a flat tire while you are there. I agree with other writers, the view is great, you cannot see that part of the island without taking that drive.... BUT (and that word is highlighted and underlined) you have to have nerves of steel and a death wish to take that journey and actually enjoy it. The cliffs are so deep and the road is so long, it seems like it is never ending. The maps should have a warning sigh, the road should have a official sitting there stopping people to warn them of the danger ahead...I kid you not, I thought about the lunch I had and that I very well could have been my last meal. I would not do it again if you paid me. You can view some great scenery if you go from hwy 30 east....and stop along the way BEFORE it turns into a one car PATH. Good luck to all who venture, may God be with you and be safe. I kissed the road when I saw 2 lanes. We are drinking to celebrate our survival. Happy trails!

Visited April 2011