“Schools of fish” 4 of 5 stars

San Francisco
6 attraction reviews
“Schools of fish”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We snorkeled here in the afternoon. The entry was rocky just like others already have pointed out, but it wasn't too tricky to get in. Where the water is shallow the coral feels sort of like a maze, so if you tend to become claustrofobic you might want to take it slow here! As for the underwater life there is PLENTY of fish and almost like stepping into an aquarium. This became my bf's favorite snorkel spot on the island. We saw tons of different species and they weren't afraid of us at all. I highly recommend this place as an alternative to all the sandy beach coral reefs on the south side of Maui.

Visited August 2012

Fullerton, California
178 attraction reviews
“Nice coral preserve”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012 via mobile

We snorkeled here while in Maui. There is a large free parking lot, but the beach area is very small and rocky. Wear water shoes to get down to the water or your feet will pay the price. If you enter the bay as far down as you can walk to and once in the water, continue in the same direction for good clear water for snorkeling. This is also a local scuba site as well do there is much to see. There are also restrooms available.

Pacific Grove, Ca
11 attraction reviews
“Watch out for sea urchins!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

We have snorkeled at this spot many times while in Maui. On one day a newlywed couple from Massachusetts came up to the shore and she had a sea urchin spine attached to her foot! My husband, being a fireman, went to get his first aid kit. A local Hawaiian told us that someone needs to urinate on it and it will come out. No one was willing so they went to the local urgent care. Quite an unexpected thing to happen so be aware of the underwater wildlife. The coral is another matter. Keep in mind that coral is a living thing and if you get cut on it, you need to clean the wound immediately or that stuff can grow inside you. Snorkeling in Maui is something we do each visit so as long as you'e aware of the hazards you can have a great time at this spot. Easy to get in and out and since it's a cove, the water is usually calm.

Visited March 2012
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
19 attraction reviews
“Great Spot for Snorkeling”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012 via mobile

There was easy to find parking at Dumps and a short walk to the beach.

My wife had never snorkeled before and this was a great spot for her to learn. Entry was not too difficult and once you were in the water there was plenty to see. What a great experience. We will be back.

Washington
9 attraction reviews
“Nice snorkel spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

We were at this spot a couple of weeks ago and it was beautiful. We kept driving past the first beach where everyone parks on the side of the road and found a parking lot with a second spot for snorkeling. Be careful as the entrance to the lot is rough with some pretty big potholes. There were a couple of portapotties, one was a handicap accessible so I could change into my swim suit. We grabbed our snorkel gear and towels and headed out. It's a really pretty spot to chill for a while and not crowded at all, but as with most beaches get their early.
It's a lava beach so it can be rough on the tootsies. I skipped the flippers and wore my sandals to enter the water and go snorkeling. I may not have been swimming as fast as my partner but it wasn't that big a difference and walking in and out didn't have the "ow,ow,ow" factor.
This is a great place to spend a few hours. I wouldn't say it's an all day beach like Makena but I would definitely go back next time we visit Maui.

Visited February 2012