“If you want to be treated horribly, then this is the place for you” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hanalei Wake-Up Cafe

Ranked #238 of 394 restaurants in Kauai
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Vancouver Island, Canada
“If you want to be treated horribly, then this is the place for you”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

I can't write a review on the food, because I didn't get a chance to try it, and with the way I was treated when I walked in, I will never go back. I arrived just before closing to ask a simple question. Do they sell pastries to take away. That's all I wanted to know. I was planning on coming back the next morning to buy some homemade muffins or pastries. This older woman who I'm assuming is the owner was so rude to me, she snapped at me and couldn't have been more unfriendly if she tried. I left quite shaken and upset. A week later it still upsets me when I think of her. They could give their food away and I would still not eat there. From the many other reviews that have had similar experiences I'm amazed that people are still giving them business. The Java Kai across the street has amazing pastries and excellent, friendly service, so why do people choose to go to The Wake up cafe when there are better options? Maybe the only way the owner will clue in is when their restaurant is empty and she reads trip advisor to see what the problem is.

62% Recommend
Overland Park, Kansas
“Lovely Breakfast in Hanalei!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Some friends and I stopped and had breakfast here on our way to the beach! I had the most wonderful granola and yogurt, served in a papaya! The service was friendly and fast. My favorite breakfast in the island.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great food, fun atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Custard French toast was great. Service was good, prices were OK for a town in Hawaii. Fresh salsa with omlettes was good, spicy, but good.

Tucson
“The Most Decadent French Toast I have ever had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Wow! Dessert for breakfast. The French toast was very yummy with pineapple, coconut and whipped cream on it. Husband had an omelet and hash towns. Said it was above average. Not overcooked. Waitress was very cheerful and efficient. He also had orange juice - $25 total. Pricey but good.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Winter Garden, Florida
“Won't go back”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Had breakfast there on our first day in Hanalei. The food was good basic breakfast fare. The cinnamon rolls were outstanding! The bill for four people was $52. The service was quick and, while not overly friendly, not rude. However, I went back the next morning to get some cinnamon rolls to go and had a very different experience. When I walked in, the cook/owner gruffly asked me what I wanted. When I asked if we could get some cinnamon rolls, she was extremely rude in telling me no in front of several tables of people. Her manner of response was so unexpected, that I just left without saying a word. While I understand that they might want to save the rolls for their sit down customers, she surely did not need to bite my head off for asking. I was so happy when I entered the restaurant, and she made me feel horrible. After that, I definitely would not return.

• Visited September 2013