“Beautiful Property in Ideal Location” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
Save 20%
Ranked #10 of 36 hotels in Kauai
Glassboro, New Jersey
“Beautiful Property in Ideal Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed at this resort for six days after cruising on the Pride of America. It is in Lihue, which is an ideal location to take day trips to any part of Kauai. The property is beautifully maintained. The villas are modern and spacious with a full wall of glass doors that open from the living room to the balcony. The two-tiered pool with slide was quite nice. It was helpful having a full size washer and dryer in the unit as well since we had already been in Hawaii for 10 days prior to our stay here.
Our flight was very late, but the staff members were very accommodating with lockers in pool house, which also had hot showers. Towels were also provided. Our luggage was also stored until we were ready to go to the airport.
All staff members were extremely friendly and helpful. The resort was very quiet with plenty of parking. Although not on the beach, access was available via shuttles or you could drive and park at one of the Marriott hotel lots. Although close to the airport, resort was not within flight patterns, so noise was not a problem whatsoever.
We were also able to print boarding passes at the hospitality center.

Room Tip: Any villa on the third or fourth floors will provide you with great views of the pool, gardens, harb...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

151 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Rushford, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We just returned from a week at the Lagoons with two other couples. We used our Marriott timeshare points and booked a three bedroom island view room to conserve points. It was fantastic to see that our room had a fantastic view of the bay even though it was an island view. The lanai doors opens the entire length of the living room which was great. The kitchen was well supplied with cooking utensils, and tons of room for the cooks. The bedrooms were spacious, although three master bedrooms would have been nice instead of the one. They were very friendly when we checked in, and when I tried to convince them to upgrade us to an ocean view for free they assured me they couldn't but we would be happy with our view they were right. This is a great place for families or couples to relax and enjoy the island. I highly recommend them.

Room Tip: Pick a room on the second floor or higher for the best views.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Bend, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

My wife and I travel a lot and as far as accomodations this really is at the top. The rooms are very large, kitchen first rate with high end appliances, bedroom very comfortable, and everything kept in near perfect condition. Sure there is no restaurant or bar directly on-site, but the main Marriott is virtually on the same grounds a short drive away where we ate quite a few times at Dukes (which also has a very nice happy hour). If I had to pick a negative, is that they will send you an email asking for first and second choices for location of rooms and then unless you are a timeshare guest (even though I am Marriott Platinum) just ignore it entirely. It just means no great view rooms or upgrades, but I would certainly stay there again on my next trip to Kauai.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

We just returned on our Encore program which we purchased about a year ago. When we took the tour we loved the room and the terrific view. Great panorama over the ocean and harbor. Little did we realize that the room we were shown wouldn't come close to the room we ended up with when we returned. Now realize that the Encore program gets you to spend money so you come back to the property and hopefully purchase some points because you fell in love with the experience. Well, our love was lost when we checked in. Our 1st floor room has a view of a bunch of foliage. This is not even compelling to sit out on the big patio or to look out the full wall folding door. Marriott got our money and we got the foliage. Don't waste your money or points on this property - and especially not on the Encore program here. I rated the location and value a 1 out of 5 based on this experience.

• Stayed April 2013
fairfield ct
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

After much deliberation on exactly where to base ourselves for 8 days on Kauai, I decided on the Marriott Lagoons because it allowed us to visit all parts of the island fairly easily and was just 5 minutes to the airport. (It was also impossible to find a plain hotel room that accommodated 5 persons.) They have a fine shuttle service to and from the airport but you will still want a car.

I was on the verge of going with a rental home but stumbled onto this owner/timeshare condo arrangement after looking here on TA.
We arrived quickly to the Lagoons and given a beautiful 2 bed/2 bath condo on the second floor with a wonderful view. We were placed by choice in Building A which is closest to the water. Not a complete ocean view for our unit but half ocean, half bay. Perfect. We could also see from the large balcony the beautiful landscaping around the pool property though we were not immediately on top of it.

Beds were King in each room and extremely comfortable. There was also a large sofa for good sleeping as well as a floor futon for those who want it. The kitchen was completely equipped for cooking which we used to make two evening meals. Everything was high end and new. The cleaning service put the dishes through the dwasher daily. Coffee was continually supplied but no other food staples. Several beach towels were replaced daily. The staff was always available and helpful but never intrusive. We loved the accommodations! Having a laundry room in the unit was useful and they give you detergent.

The Lagoons is somehow connected to the Marriott hotel on the other part of the property. We went there for their beach which was fine for swimming and renting boards, etc... and for Duke's restaurant. Duke's is always an enjoyable and reasonably priced choice for dinner on the water. Downstairs is casual, upstairs a higher end menu. The shuttle runs constantly to bring you back and forth to the Lagoons, but we often walked the beautiful property back to our place.

We thought the grounds of the Lagoons were so nice, especially the pool area, that we had little reason to go to the hotel except for dinner and an occasional swim.
The Lagoons has a great little private beach reached by the golf course path and is nice for sunbathing and relaxing during low tide. Like many beaches on Kauai, it's rough for real swimming and I wouldn't. Many people also barbecued on the four grills/patio setups near the pool. We did this once and it was fun. My husband and son enjoyed golf on the 9 hole course one morning, but there is an 18 hole along the ocean, too.

I don't know if we were just lucky, but the Lagoons was not crowded at all. The pool area was lovely, never rowdy or overrun with kids, though there were several families. You can also request to take a couple beach chairs out with you for the day around the island. There are four nice mountain bikes to tour with around the property. The fitness center looked very well equipped and had full view windows facing the ocean.

We had mixed weather everyday and went all over the island to enjoy what Kauai has to offer. Some people on TA complained about plane and helicopter noise but we didn't mind either. Few flights come in to Lihue each day and being so near the airport far outweighed that. The helicopters could be bothersome to some in the morning when they all fly out for tours but after 9:30 or 10 we were usually out and about by then. It wouldn't deter me in the least from staying here.

I found the room on the Marriott site and plugged in my Marriott rewards number to get a great deal under 300 per night for this unit. It is so worth it for a larger family. Since Kauai has weather that can change, it was nice to have such a large place to relax after a long day or when the weather was off a bit. You couldn't find a hotel room, much less a condo, with these amenities for the money. Not by far. (Unless you had frequent flyer or hotel points)

Lihue is a pleasant town, not touristy but a regular small town where you can easily buy supplies at Kmart or Walmart, go to farmer's markets, get fresh fish, etc... Kapaa is a little more touristy but still nice.

We spent a lot of time in Hanelei Bay which is in the north side. The beaches are hands down the best of the island and Hanelei is a great little spot for dining and hanging around. Don't miss Tunnels beach for absolutely wonderful snorkeling, swimming and sunning- and Ke e beach for sunsets. We stopped at many other beaches around the island and the north is stunning. Salt Pond Beach in the West was very nice as well. I was not as impressed with the Poipu area beaches though we tried three.

Don't miss a Waimea Canyon hike: scary but thrilling- but go early morning as the clouds roll in by 11, it seems. Or go after 6 when the sun returns beautifully on the canyons. A nice time is also had doing a bit of kayaking on the peaceful Wailua River.
We didn't do the helicopter or airplane rides, nor did we take a boat ride. Next time!

When we return we will stay at the Marriott Lagoons. It was a truly great vacation!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We had 3 bedroom unit that was just wonderful. Beatuiful kitchen, balcony doors that opened up accordian style so the view of the ocean was not interrupted. We liks this resort so much that we are planning to return next year. Kauai is a very quiet Island, almost everything (except restraunts) close at 5 PM. The Grnd son had a great time chasing all of the wild chickens that inhabit this island.

This resort is very close to the airport but we did not notice any noise from airplanes.

The Resort is alittle hard to find, the address did not show up on our GPS, if you are going, call the Resort first to get instructions on how to find it. There are two Marriott Resorts at this location both are on the same street, this will be the second one you wil come to.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Aurora, Colorado, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We just spent 9 days in Kauai at the Marriott Lagoons and had a wonderful time! We typically go to Maui and stay at the MOC in Kaanapali but couldn't get a room on the short notice we booked our trip so we decided to try the Lagoons since it had almost everything we were looking for. It was our first time to this island and we were excited for the adventure. I have to be honest we were NOT happy with reviews and were very nervous to swim in such a small pool and listen to airplanes fly over constantly. I had anxiety over it as we were bringing my in laws for their first trip to Hawaii and I wanted it to be amazing for them. Guess what? It was FABulous!

The 9 of us arrived to the beautiful grounds and I had to smile. I was prepared to spray my kids with bug spray hourly and never did once. We arrived to our room and our mouths fell to the floor as the view was breathtaking! I realized we overlooked the pool and was concerned we would hate all the noise since everyone complained about it in the reviews. It wasn't a problem at all! I guess since we have 5 kids a little kid noise doesn't bother us. (do people really think a pool is going to be quiet?) The villas are amazing! Everything you need is available and if you don't have it with you...you don't need it or ask the front desk for help! (we bought flowers at one of the farmers markets and they even had a vase for me) We checked out the room and split up. Some ran to Costco and Times market (just a short drive away) to stalk up on groceries for our stay and the other half went to the pool. We were very upset because we were told on the phone (by marriott) that we could use the pool at the Beach club resort down the hill, but later found out it was $90 per day per person. That is outrageous! I wanted to be swimming in a pool by the ocean! Well...our 5 kids loved the Lagoons pool. Just the perfect size and it was soooo much quieter at the Lagoons pool. Whenever I mentioned trying out the bigger pool they just said no! We did end up having a day at the other pool (thanks to a nice couple at Dukes who gave us their pool cards) and it was fun, but we ended up taking the shuttle up and ending the day at our own pool. There is no pool service, but we were so close to our room we would take turns running up and bring ice and drinks down to the pool so really it wasn't a problem. We did have a run in once with an older couple not wanting our kids to splash in the pool. Seriously? My husband and I make sure our children behave while in public, but that really made me mad and I told them that if they didn't want to get wet they should be in or not sit by the pool and they went and complained about us. She came back and said they had turned me in and I was shocked. I thought someone would come tell us to leave by the smirk on her face but no one ever came so they left. We ran into them the next day at the pool and the older gentleman followed my kids all over the pool telling them to stop splashing him. He was harassing little kids...AWKWARD! I finally decided enough was enough and got my phone out and pretended to call the police. They left. Saw them at the airport when we left and offered a bottle of water to remember us by. Awwww Memories.

Every once in awhile you do hear a plane or helicopter, but honestly I imagined it so much worse according to the reviews. They pass by so quickly that you don't even think about it. Helicopters do fly over about every 10 minutes but it wasn't that annoying.

The BBQ's overlook the ocean and we cooked almost every night we were there on them. There are only 4 so we did have to wait a few times, but with the view you really didn't mind. We brought our own spices from home (way to expensive to buy in hawaii so just bring your own) and ended up helping other people out as well. Very homey feel at the Lagoons. We also made some friends while we were there. I know a lot of people complained about not having a lot of the amenities other resorts have, but we don't mind taking our own luggage to the room or not having a restaurant on site. It was so quiet and cozy we just loved this resort! Anything we asked they had an answer for. When we checked in we asked if they had any beach chairs we could use and they ended up letting us use 4 beach chairs, 2 beach umbrellas, 4 boogie boards and lots of sand toys! (they just look in the lost and found for those things). It was great that we didn't have buy those things! Thanks!

Eating out was easy...shopping is so close with lots of places to choose from, but it was great to be able to take the shuttle down to the Marriott beach and eat at Dukes. Tuesday is Fish Tacos and its de-vine! While we waited the kids ran around on the beach! The cruise ships leave about 5 so it was fun to watch them leave port! Be sure to try the Shave ice with a scoop of vanilla icecream on the bottom. To die for!

We had lots of adventures daily (highly recommend the kayak up Waiela river and hike to Secret Falls, Smith Luau or snorkel with sea turtles at Poipu beach) and it was nice to come back to the roomy villa every night and be able to to wash our clothes and have 3 showers going for us all. I didn't have to pack as much that way-they even provide the soap). The room was always so clean and loved we that we could cook our own food or have snack whenever we wanted for the kids. We were able to check out movies for the kids (each room has DVD players) and also check out games for the kids as well at the activity center. One morning we even went down and the kids were able to fish with bamboo poles in the Lagoon! What a blast! They got so many fish and tried to beat the record of 81 fish in half hour.

I would recommend this resort again. It was roomy enough for 9 of us. Downside is the early check out (10 am) and the fact that we weren't on the beach, but with the constant shuttle service that wasn't a problem. We left our luggage in our car (after we checked out of the room) and were able to swim at the pool all day. They have showers and a locker room next to the pool and were able to clean up before we flew out that night at 10. It was great! You can also use the kids club to hang out and print your tickets before you leave. They really made our vacation special for us!

Room Tip: 3 bedroom units have larger lanais!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Marriott's Kauai Lagoons? Share your experiences!