“With Love - Me Ke Aloha” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Ka `Eo Kai

You added Wyndham Ka `Eo Kai to your Saves list
Wyndham Ka `Eo Kai
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   3970 Wyllie Road, Princeville, Kaua`i, HI, Kauai, HI 96722   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Holiday Sale - 30% Off
Ranked #61 of 84 Specialty Lodging in Kauai
GreenLeadersBronze level
Brampton, Canada
“With Love - Me Ke Aloha”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

As soon as we arrived it felt so welcoming, the view was spectacular. Checking in we we're greated with fresh leis for the ladies and shell leis for the men. Our front desk rep was do helpful, informative and accommodating. Being in such a large group this helps tremendously (14 people). Walking on our rooms you felt as if you where in a palace. So specious, clean and helped it was a newly renovated unit. I could go on but then I would end up writing a book. I love this resort. Even more then the other locations they had in the area. I thought those felt more Americanized then Ka Eo Kai as this resort truly made you feel like you where in Kauai, Hawaii.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
binghamton, ny
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Yup, it's older, it's spacious, grounds & pools lovely. Hated no a/c. Sooooo open, with no escape from openness & noise, like camping, except you're paying lots more & in a nice bed. All theses other reviews describe both the better and worse experiences we had as well. Out of our 40 some trades in 20 + years, close to my least favorite accommodations, though pool saved it for the kids. Most important for me, even given no a/c, was the white, like sheers, curtains flying all over with the winds to cool the room and bright as day when those roosters start up even before dawn from outside lights. Get room darkening ones & a/c...like in their offices!

Room Tip: Choose elsewhere.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I was so looking forward to our visit as it was our first time to this island (usually we go to Maui). Our stay at Ka Eo Kai has been less than perfect--and we actually have a renovated 2 BR suite!! The suite is spacious enough for the 6 of us, however, that is the only good thing I can say about it. The lack of A/C has been very uncomfortable and leaving all windows open still does not cool it enough for me. Also, the geckos were a HUGE bother. I realize they are everywhere in Hawaii but I would sure love to be able to sleep at night without having to worry about one falling on my head. Also, the front desk staff have been very rude. One woman in particular talked down to me and made me feel like a child when I misunderstood the rules for pool towels (which was never explained to us). I will not stay here again. We usually visit Maui and stay at The Royal Kahana, which is a no frills, but nice place with clean units, ocean views, attentive staff and no geckos in the rooms!!!

• Stayed July 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

If posh is what you are looking for this is not it! The rippped mauve industrial carpet, popcorn ceilings and large bar in middle of unit are very outdated. When I checcked I was sure to request away from the road. I wasnt going to ask for renovated and away from the road so i picked the highest priority. The irony is that they put you is the lesser accommodations if you are a non owner and then they insist that youu attend a time share schpeel where they try to sell you 182k dollar time share!!! Makes no logical sense to me. Nobody would pay that much after seeing these units. Also beware ~ we were up front that time was important and that we were not buying...time share sales woman got quite snippy!
Regardless of the blemishes and worn interior the resort has many plusses. The grounds are lovely and the location great. The pool and hot tub are great. They try to give you little extras like a cooler and basket of beach towels which is nice. The kitchen is well stocked although equipment pretty beat. First day i used food disposal for carrot peels. Sink was clogged and leaked all over. Also first day opened oven door and bottom face plate fell of the range~maintainence guy said couldnt be fixed till parts ordered. No air conditoners but cross ventillation through screen doors was sufficient. Our biggest issue with the unit was severe lack of hot water on regular basis.
Concierge and manyy tours/activities was the best part of this trip. I love Kauai and princeville so I would stay again despite the limitations of the condos as we were inside only for meals and sleeping. Always good to make informed choices.

• Stayed July 2013
El Paso, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We were coming back from a trip to Japan and this was the last leg of our trip for our 10th wedding anniversary. We were looking forward to a relaxing time on Kauai, and unfortunately our stay at Wyndham was not it.

Although we did not need it, we booked a 2 bedroom unit since it was a $50 difference overall between a 1 bdrm and 2 bdrm unit. I had read the reviews on trip advisor and it seemed to be a mix of some bad and some really good. We also researched on booking.com which seemed to be in agreement. We decided to go ahead and book this condo instead of the Cliffs since both were in comparable location but the Wyndham had 2 bdrm for a little more than the Cliffs 1 bdrm. This is one of only 2 times where I regret my booking.

Upon checking into our unit, what we noticed right away was the awful musty smell, like no one had been in the unit for a long long time. When you opened any closets or drawers you got the same awful smell. The unit is horribly out of date (think 1980's pink carpet and flowery bedspread) and there is a lot of wear and tear on some parts of the unit. There were also mosquitos in the unit. I knew before booking that there is no air conditioning (similar to many other condos in Kauai), but I did not anticipate that by opening the windows at night I would be awoken to chickens crowing in the morning (yes, the chickens run wild all around the island but more so in the northern part). This is OK if you like to wake up at 4 or 5am but we don't on vacation. We found out that this is a timeshare property and that of their 80 or so units only 26 have been renovated. They also preferentially give the renovated units to timeshare owners so your chance of getting a nicer unit is not too good.

The staff was always nice and we cannot complain about the service at all. The unit does come with a washer/dryer which is out on the balcony of the bedroom and we definitely made use of it since we were coming back from a 10 day trip to Japan. I didn't use their pool so I can't comment on that. They do have complimentary coffee in the clubhouse so that was nice. This is a timeshare property and we did do their 90 minute presentation to get discounts with some of the tour companies. It was ironic though that when we traveled to Poipu on the last day we found out that many of the discounts we could have had without their discount card.

Better luck next time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MISSISSAUGA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

As soon as we entered Princeville, we were in awe of sophisticated, Hawaiian ambiance that greeted us. My family and relatives (14 all together) were in Kauai for a family vacation and to celebrate my Aunt and Uncle's 37th wedding anniversary.

Upon reading the reviews in TA, I did all that were recommeded by the previous guests... requested a newly renovated unit and away from the main road.

As we entered Wyndham Ka Eo Kai, the grounds were beautiful and well kept. As Wyndham owners, we had access to other Wyndham resorts and their facilities in the area of Princeville. The check-in was a breeze, and Ellen (at the reception) was very warm and helpful, truly exhibiting the aloha spirit. We were situated in 4A and 4B, away from the main road and quiet enough in the morning that we were not disturbed by any traffic noise at all. We were awakened, however, every morning by the sounds of birds and that almighty rooster... tons of them. But even with that, it still wasn't bothersome at all. It is something we expected from a tropical place, along with house geckos and a couple of cockroaches in the bathroom in the bottom unit. Just get the slippers and wack the cockroaches dead and throw them outside... that's it! No issues! We go camping a lot and it's no different when we encounter bugs there.

The units we got were newly renovated and very roomy, especially the upper unit. The units had granite counter tops, new flooring and comfortable beds. The bathrooms were clean and spacious. There were no air conditions but having all the doors and windows open (with screen doors locked at night) with the fans help circulate the trade wind airs around the unit and is comfortable. We had one extra fan in our unit which was also helpful. The kitchen was filled with everything you need to cook your meals. They even have rice cookers! Yey!

The pools and hot tub were nice and comfortable. The kids could not get enough of it. In fact, they prefer to be in the pool rather than the beach!

There was no beach access at the resort, but Anini beach is close and you can easily just hike there or drive the short distance there. It's got a nice calm shoreline and a beautiful reef great for snorkeling.

The weather had rains on and off, but we were lucky to have sunshine whenever we're at the beach. It was expected because we're situated on the rainy side of the island. If we wanted more sun, we just drove the short distance to the south end of the island.

At the end of our visit, we were offered a "hospitality" room so we can freshen up before our flight in the evening. So after check-out at 10am, front desk kept our luggages for us so we can enjoy more of the resort for the day. At a specified time, we were able to use the "hospitality" room so we can all freshen up for our flight. It was a Studio room, but we just took turns using the bathroom... Yes... all 14 of us. It was really nice to have this option. We're greatful for this.

For groceries, Costco or Walmart or Big Save (in Kapaa or Hanalei) are your best bet for more affordable food. There is a Foodland nearby but the food prices are ridiculously high! Ever bought romaine lettuce for $3.50/lb a head? Well, Foodland would have that. You would be able to save a buck or two at Costco, Walmart or Big Save. If you have a Safeway card, Safeway is a good one too.

Overall, Wyndham Ka Eo Kai gave us a great family vacation! We would return here in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Rooms 4A and 4B are newly renovated and quiet away from the main road.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Redondo Beach, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a two bedroom unit. Very spacious. However, the room is old and out dated. I would call the rooms a two star. The biggest issue was the lack of wifi service despite advertisement. The first room I was put in had no wifi signal. After much resistance they finally moved me to another room that had only limited wifi in one of the rooms. If you stay at the Wyndham Ka'eo Kai don't expect nice furnishings and don't expect wifi.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Wyndham Ka `Eo Kai? Share your experiences!