“We only saw a small portion due to high surf and rain” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 129 Attractions in Kauai
Type: Scenic Drives, Landmarks
Activities: Viewing wildlife, Snorkeling
More attraction details
Owner description: A scenic area offering beautiful beaches and dramatic cliffs.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Pittsburgh
44 attraction reviews
“We only saw a small portion due to high surf and rain”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

In the winter months, going to the Na Pali coast is hit or miss. We had to turn back unfortunately but you should go if given the opportunity. It's amazing. Summer is better. On the up side, even though we never made it completely to the coast, we saw dozens and dozens of whales and spinner dolphins. You won't see whales past April but the surf will be better to see the coast.

San Francisco
13 attraction reviews
“One of the most beautiful spots on all of the islands”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

If you visit Kauai, make sure to visit the Napali Coast by car, helicopter or boat. If you are fit, hiking the Napali Coast can be amazing. We saw dozens of hump back whales and their calves right off the shore and also monk seals. If it is raining, you will be treated to countless waterfalls. Truly gorgeous!

Sao Paulo, Brazil
4 attraction reviews
“Must visit!! And read how!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

If you are going to Hawaii, make sure to visit Kauai and, especially, the Na Pali Coast. It is an amazing and unique place! Definitely one of the best attractions in our visit!
You can do it basically by boat, helicopter or by foot (too adventurous for me!).
My wife and I did both the boat and the helicopter tours. Those were great experiences! We definitely recommend the companies we used (Na Pali Experience and Mauna Loa - see my reviews on their pages), which we chose after very careful consideration.
The smaller boats of Na Pali Experience are the best way to go, since they are comfortable and their size allow the capitain to enter the caves for amazing views. Speaking of which, ask for Capitain Nate, who is very skilled and sympathetic.
Mauna Loa has smaller helicopters (all window 3 seats + pilot) and can fly them with the doors off (great for pictures and extra adrenalin). Plus, the pilot and the staff were very friendly and helpful. We loved the views and the experience.
Should you have to choose between the boat and the helicopter, I would recommend the boat, because you get to contemplate the coast for quite some time (not to mention it is cheaper). If you plan to do both tours, I would recommend doing the boat tour first, because you get to see the coast in greater detail, and then you can see from above all the places you've been to.

Visited September 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Hiked all 22 miles of it..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

After being in Kauai the first time and doing the first portion of this hike, we were astounded by the beauty. Returned the next year and hiked all the way. Stayed 3 nights and hiked back. It was seriously the most spiritual, hardest, beautiful but rugged hiking/camping I've ever done. I'm almost 50 and have lived all over including Colorado so I'm not new to hiking but I'm not avid either. All I can say is do your research, look at all the blogs and be prepared! Don't forget to get a permit and also we parked our car at a canoe place about 8 miles down and had a taxi drop us off. We are returning next year for all five nights of the permit! One thing we will do different is take a taxi to the hostel, sleep there instead of a hotel and go from there. (Paying $180 for 5 hours sleep was a killer)

Visited May 2013
Minnesota
“I agree with "be prepared"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

I would definitely recommend taking a larger catamaran such as their Southern Star. We took the smaller catamaran and it was very windy with 6' waves and we got drenched and then cold. Our dinner was just ok and there wasn't enough table space for everyone and we ended up holding our plates on our laps. Some people got ill. People we talked to afterwards that were on the Southern Star did not get wet, sat up top the entire time and had a "wonderful" steak dinner. In hindsight, I wish I would've called them to inquire about their various catamarans.