“Great place to stay!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barking Sands Beach Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kauai
Barking Sands Beach Cottages
Save Saved
You added Barking Sands Beach Cottages to your Saves list
Pacific Missle Range Facility (PMRF), Waieli, Kauai, HI   |
Ranked #23 of 86 Specialty lodging in Kauai
Rockville, Maryland
“Great place to stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

We visited for a week in June. Stayed in a three bedroom cottage - ocean front. Ended up getting a handicap accessible unit. Great amenities for our family vacation.

We spend much of our time out and around. Was a bit of a drive to the north shore 1-1 1/2 hours but no biggie.

The beach can be a bit rough if you want to swim in the ocean, especially with kids.

No maid service during your stay - not even replacement of towels and soap. Our unit had a full size washer and dryer so we just did laundry. No biggie but had to by detergent.

The exchange had the minimal basics - we ended up going into Waimea (the first town up the road) to the local grocery store (Big Save). Prices were good for Hawaii and got some good produce, steaks, ice cream, etc. great prices!

**If you are going to be staying for any length of time - hit the Costco right by the airport. Get milk, meat, breakfast stuff, and BBQ supplies (briquettes). Also - if I were coming again I would bring basic spices - grill mates for grilling steaks, salt, pepper. Also bring shampoo/conditioner for the kids.

If you plan on doing any hikes and driving around the island, you can rent backpacks, boggie boards, small cooler for the car - all at the MWR center on base.

Bring hiking shoes have a blast!

• Stayed June 2013

56 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We had the opportunity to stay at one of the newer, beachfront cottages this past week. I seriously have never seen a more beautiful stretch of beach! You practically have it to yourself during the day. The cottage had everything we needed...microwave, toaster oven, coffee maker, fridge, stove, dishes, utensils, wireless internet, tv, dvd player. It had AC, but we preferred to have all the windows open to hear the waves crashing. Beautiful! I love this place! Only drawback for some may be that it's far away from things. We didn't care about that though. About 15 minutes away is Waimea which has a grocery store, and there is a NEX mini-mart on base. Worked perfectly for us!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

• Waialua Waterfall
• Salt Pond Beach Park Beach
• Dinner at Tidepools
• Scenic Views

We left Philadelphia airport on May 16th at 7:00 a.m. for what would be a really long day with a plane change in Phoenix. No meals were provided so we bought some food on the second leg. Although we arrived early in Lihue, an hour at Hertz was a pain. Only two clerks were working until a third joined them. Yet, we did see our first chicken at Hertz. Since they didn’t have our compact, secured months earlier for $18.00 a day on Priceline, we accepted the Mustang with no comment. Later, we would see many Mustang convertibles on the road but the smart money is on a compact since gas prices are $4.61 and higher.

Following tips from many Trip Advisor contributors, our first stop was Wal-Mart and The Fish Express, across the street. We bought two cheap straw mats, POG (Passion fruit, orange, guava juice), a six-pack of guava nectar, a bottle of wine, and a six pack of Kona Big Wave Golden Ale beer. All of the beverages were delicious. The souvenir section was okay and we bought a few small things. Later, we enjoyed Long’s Drugs and Kmart for additional souvenirs. The young guys at Fish Express were helpful and the cashier even cut us a break on the Wasabi because of a mix-up in our order. I bought mahi mahi and opah (similar to tuna).
En route to our lodging, we stopped at Island Taco right on Rte. 50 in Waimea. I had the “seasoned” fish tacos and my wife had shrimp tacos. You have the option of ordering Cajun seasonings. The tacos had rice and cabbage and were good. We also ordered the home made tortilla chips, refried beans and rice.

Then we were on our way to the Navy Base at Barking Sands, way to the west. Our two bedroom “cottage” was ocean view with a furnished two-story deck, full kitchen with amenities, washer and dryer plus small box of detergent, barbeque grill and flat-screen tv for $90.00 per night. This is a real treat and value for military or government connected individuals and families. Due to the very long day, we went to bed around 8:00 p.m.

My usual travel includes a tight plan but one Trip Advisor contributor suggested going with a list of things to do and just winging it. I took that advice. The next morning, my wife asked me what we were going to do and I gave her two options. First, we decided to try out the galley on base for breakfast. The employees were very nice and we filled out our order. A server brought our omelets, hash browns and meat for my wife. Breads, coffee and orange juice are also provided. The fruit was limited to kiwi and dated pineapple but for a $2.50 each breakfast, one cannot complain. We stopped at the Outdoor Activity Center and rented two Tommy Bahama chairs and a small cooler. The employee there was very helpful. We also bought some lunchmeat, Hawaiian passion fruit muffin, and other items at the Navy Exchange.

We rode to the North Shore all the way to Kee Beach. Although there by 9:00 a.m., parking was already getting very tight. I decided not to stop but backtracked to Haena Beach Park where we spent some time taking in a very beautiful beach, next to Tunnels Beach. We saw a sea turtle and just absorbed the atmosphere. There were vendors there for refreshments and food. We stopped at Kilauea Lighthouse and loved the views. We met a very nice couple from San Diego and chatted for quite a bit. A highlight was eating at Moloa Fruit Stand. I had a blackened mahi mahi sandwich and my wife had a turkey breast sandwich. We both ordered a tropical smoothie (papaya, mango, pineapple, and guava). The food and smoothies were great! We also stopped at Opaka Falls since it was a slight detour off the highway. By the way, it is no comparison to Opaka Falls, if you want to choose just one waterfall. On our ride back, we saw signs for Anahola Farmer’s Market. We doubled back and saw a large grill for meats and a small selection of mango, tomatoes, potatoes plus a couple of craftspeople. My wife sampled some barbequed pork. We bought some fruits, vegetables and huli huli sauce for grilling. We ended with some more grocery shopping at Big Save and Ishihara Market. The spicy soy beans at Ishihara were good and my wife enjoyed their crab and pasta salads. We ate at Shrimp Express in Waimea. I had coconut shrimp and my wife had garlic shrimp. My wife’s shrimp had a lot of sauce but she enjoyed it. My order was good too.

The next morning, we opted for the Waimea Canyon Drive. I had planned to go to the top and make stops on the way down but instead we ended up stopping at the first Waimea Canyon stop. It was spectacular. People have compared it to the Grand Canyon -- they are both very beautiful. We went to the top but it was raining and the weather didn’t cooperate after waiting for about 20 minutes. We went to Kokee Museum and think that it needs some attention. We also stopped at Puuka Pele lookout. A special treat was seeing a red crested cardinal up close while we peered at the Canyon.

Kauai Coffee is interesting to find out about how coffee is grown and harvested. I opted for the 20 minute self-tour that for me was10 minutes. We sampled some coffee. However, the guy eating the ice cream cone had the right idea.

On a lark, I asked my wife if she was game for an adventure – a bumpy ride to Polihale Beach. She agreed but we were nervous the whole ride going as you encounter pot hole after pot hole. And to make it worse, some people with four or all-wheel drive just sail past you. My wife alternated putting her head down with looking up for the next bump. Sometimes she thought I was too close to the edge. Mind you, we’re not talking about a mountain drop. The worse that could happen would be to land in a rut. However, by the time we got to the beach, we were rewarded with one of the most beautiful views we encountered. The beach, the ocean and the Napali Coast all meshed for a nice place just to relax and enjoy. We commented on the beauty to a foreign couple and they agreed but asked about swimming. I told them that I didn’t think it was a good idea. We also had our first shaved ice from Jo Jo’s on Anuene. I had the Tropical Anuene and my wife had the Anuene Special that featured cream. To me it was okay but my wife thought it was really good. Later, I would have a discussion with the managers of the coconut shop next to Shrimp Station about shaved ice compared to other frozen treats. We stopped at the Kekaha Farmer’s Market after searching for it but noticed a number of cars and went there. It was small with about seven local folks selling leis, fruit, and vegetables. We bought lima beans, longan (fruit unlike any found in U.S.), apple-bananas, mango, papaya, and a lei. We ended up buying three leis from local vendors while on the trip. Filled up on gas on base at $4.15 per gallon.

We visited the West Kauai Visitors and Tech Center in Waimea but had to come back later as they close on Monday Mornings in order to provide a two hour walking tour of the town. You are given an orientation of Kauai’s history. It is free but you can leave a donation. You get a fuller treatment at the museum in Lihue. We especially enjoyed talking with the coordinator about life on the island. Computers are available for public use. Visiting the National Tropical Garden via taking the McBryde Garden self-tour was another great experience. As you take the bus in, our driver was informative and we saw some nice views. Once we arrived, taking your time and walking around allows you to take the foliage, plants, flowers, and trees at your own speed. This was a wonderful experience! Later on the way west, we stopped and had a picnic at Kukuiolono Park, adjacent to a public golf course. We stopped at Lapperts Ice Cream. I had passion fruit and my wife had macadamia nut.

The plan was to enjoy Salt Pond Beach and it worked. This beach has a protected area that makes you feel safe. There are media reminders about deaths on the island. Both locals and tourists frequent Salt Pond and it’s a good place to spend some time and enjoy the ocean. There are outside showers, restrooms, and picnic tables. On a week day there was plenty of parking available.

The salt ponds that are harvested by native Hawaiians only are viewable from a distance but tourists aren’t allowed in the area. We brought our cooler, sandwiches and fruit with us. However, the coconuts beckoned, and on the way back to the cottage, we stopped at the stand next to Shrimp Station. The couple that runs the stand is very interesting. Wayne is a chef and his wife is a restaurant manager. Since their children are grown, they work and live where they please. When we talked about frozen desserts, the wife had to whip up her specialty creamsicle shaved ice, and it was really good. We talked about Italian water ice, New Orleans and Austin, Texas. The latter is their next stop. And the coconut juice was good. My wife expected a different taste. We had dinner on base at Shenanigans. This restaurant located on the water is perfect for a late day dinner. Although not on the drinks menu, the bartender made me a delicious lava drink. Food was pretty standard pub fare.

For a second morning, we again headed to the North Shore to visit Hanalei Bay. We were able to find a parking spot and walked out on the pier. I had read that the pier covering was in place and was glad to see it. This is another beautiful site and we took some pictures. Another tourist was kind enough to indulge us too. One the return leg, we stopped at Waialua Falls and were blown away. This waterfall was featured in the Fantasy Island tv show. Despite the” no vendor’s sign,” we were glad that it was ignored. The craftsman who weaves the baskets is really good. My wife couldn’t make up her mind but finally bought a cute basket. Other vendors sold leis and shaved ice. We went to Kilauea Mini-Golf and enjoyed their gardens and golf. The staff was really nice and I enjoyed talking history and local politics with one employee. They were changing their inventory and the t-shirts were heavily marked down. We picked up a few. My wife also bought some turtle earrings. We met a young couple from LA, and one of them mentioned Bubba Burgers and their budget. My wife bought a burger. I opted for another visit to Moloa Fruit Stand for a blackened mahi mahi sandwich. We then went to the picnic table behind the community center across from Bubba’s and ate. She enjoyed her burger but thought it was similar to Burger King. We passed one a few minutes later. We were surprised by a red crested cardinal who seemed fine with visiting people. And then, a chicken came by and actually jumped in the nearby trash can. We met a newly married couple who ended up on Kauai by accident. Apparently, when the new wife made time share reservations, she thought she was going to Oahu. When she realized her mistake, they had to buy tickets to Kauai from Oahu. Her spirit was not dampened as she was on a search for a drink from a whole pineapple. Although Moloa didn’t have it, she went on in search of her final goal before ending her honeymoon. On our way west, we went through the scenic Tree Tunnel via 520 before joining 530. We had passed Kekaha Beach daily but decided to stop and take it in. We also stopped at Long’s Drugs and liked their selection and prices of souvenirs.

We ate our last breakfast at the cottage. We made egg dishes using Eggbeaters or egg whites daily. We also had our last fruit smoothie. We had included: mango, papaya, pineapple, apple-banana and low-fat milk during the week. We cleaned up the cottage as required and were on our way. I donated mats, guidebooks and other research.

Our check-in time at the Grand Hyatt wasn’t until 3:00 p.m. so we killed some time. We rode to the Marriott in Lihue and then thanks to Yelp, founded Ohana Nail Spa in the shopping center directly across from the Marriott on Rice St. My wife was given a manicure and pedicure by Vincent and received excellent service and pricing. I had my first pedicure and enjoyed the foot massage. Prior to my massage, the attendants were teasing me about choosing a color and attracting a boyfriend. It was very funny. We then went to Kauai Museum further up Rice Street. This gives a detailed history of Kauai life. There are many exhibits and good information.

We checked in to Grand Hyatt for our one night splurge. Actually, I had researched the property through Better Bidding and Trip Advisor. Unfortunately, I was not able to get one of the deep discounts secured by others months ago. I spent $360 plus tax and fees. We walked the beautiful grounds and found a swinging bench to relax. The highlights for us were dinner at Tidepools and jazz at Stevenson’s Library. I had pink snapper and my wife had opah. Both dishes with mashed potatoes and roasted potatoes plus vegetable were outstanding. I had my favorite Big Wave Ale and my wife had a frozen mango margarita. Thank you very much to Vincent, our friendly and charming server and the host and hostess, who ensured that we had a great table. Keoni Jazz Band is very good, especially the saxophone player but they shouldn’t have to compete with people playing pool and making noise. We had drinks, desert and coffee at Stevenson’s. Again, great service. My wife enjoyed the flourless chocolate cake.
May 24 - Final day. I had been offered membership at check-in in the Hyatt Club but during breakfast at the Grand Club, I was informed that there was no record of my membership. I offered to buy the breakfast and forego joining Hyatt’s program. Fortunately, later upon checkout, I was offered great service by Eric who was very understanding and helpful. We rode to Poipu Beach and were on our way. I had wanted to see the Napali Coast and didn’t think my queasy stomach would do well on a boat. I opted for Wings over Kauai, and took Dramamine. My wife didn’t want to go so I went solo in the co-pilot’s chair and enjoyed Joshua, the pilot and the flight. Ellen had worked with me earlier in the day and fit me in despite it being last minute. Later, we spent a few hours at the Polynesian Festival where we enjoyed music and some food. Later, we stopped at Duke’s and soaked in our last hours on Kauai. The food and drinks were good but the atmosphere was nice. The hula pie hunk was ridiculous, yet I ate it. We rode around the park and parked for a little while before heading to the airport.

And we hope that “John Deere,” the missing goat broadcast on the radio was found.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

DaKine! Love this place!!! Can't wait to come back. We had a beach front cabin. Sitting on a nice porch sipping on Kauai coffee, eating fresh mango, pineapple, & papaya in the morning. BBQ was great for steaks and fresh fish. Ya cabin needs remodeled but it worked great and was clean. Views were spectacular. Turtles, spinner dolphins, marlin & even a couple of whales. Exchange had basics. Ya its our a bit but who cares...

• Stayed May 2013
Volcano, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

The beach cottages are roomy, clean, and the older ones have updated appliances. We just came back from Kauai, and could not have had a better time. The waves crashing on the shore, the moon glow over the water...just perfect. We checked in right at 2:00 p.m. which is earlier than most hotels let you in. We shopped the NEX for whatever we thought we'd need, and went to our little piece of paradise. Yes, it is strict, but I love the security of being on base where the USN Police were always evident, especially driving the beach after 10:00 p.m. to make sure there were no trespassers. Barking Sands afforded great access to Wiamea Canyon, so we were up there right after breakfast at the galley (Where else can you get a full breakfast for $2.50, prepared to order, prepared by the Navy?). We did not find the "distance" from the base to anywhere else an issue. I did not mind stripping the beds the morning we left, or cleaning for the next occupant. We found the folks at ITT very helpful, and no question went unanswered. We rented "Tommy Bahama" beach chairs for $1.00/day...where else can you do that???? If you are military, this little gem is the perfect answer for a getaway. We are already planning a return visit.

Room Tip: I liked our beachfront cottage. You can open the slider and hear the waves crash on the shore all n...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Ok so it is the dry side of Kauai and at the end of the road, but a mile of beach almost to yourself on Kauai? Definitely worth it. Great value, great facility, great sunsets! For the mandatory shave ice, you definitely want the JoJo's behind the Captain Cook statue in Waimea (there's two). We bought the food that wouldn't melt from Safeway in Kapaa, but you can get almost anything you need at the little exchange. Great jumping off point for Koke'e state park/the canyon.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Springfield, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I'm a little biased because I was part of the batallion that built the new cottages on PMRF. The older ones sit right on the beach and the new ones are simply across the street. My next visit to Hawaii is going to include three nights at least in these. It's the dry side of the island but while I was there it's great to get a kayak and paddle with the whales. Its very close to the grand canyon of the pacific. The locals are great people and welcomed us everywhere we went. You can get to the beach at Na Pali by driving through the cane fields.. Watch the surf there though as it can be wild at times. Very nice quiet and private part of the base. There is a small nex on site with staples. Go stay there, you'll be glad you gave it a try

Room Tip: If you want new stay across the street from the beach.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Been to Barking Sands Beach Cottages? Share your experiences!