“Amazing hike but not for the faint of heart...” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 237 things to do in Kauai
Activities: Hiking
More attraction details
Owner description: Kauai's hiking trail along the Na Pali coast.
Davis, CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Amazing hike but not for the faint of heart...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Our family hiked to the beach (2 miles in, 2 miles back) and was great but a few warnings. First, bring tons of water. We started around 9:30 am and by the time we were heading back it was quite hot. You also need good hiking shoes (I used running shoes but would have used hiking boots if I had it to do over again). There is a lot of climbing rocks, muddy spots and you need good shoes.

It's also hard. Don't let anyone fool you. The first 1/4 mile is up a very steep incline over rocks (and is even trickier on your way back when you are tired and navigating the rocks). The first mile is up/rocky/tricky. Second mile to the beach is more mud/dirt and downhill (but remember you come up that again and it's tough when you are tired/hot). We took off our shoes and crossed the small river to the beach. Totally worth it - nice cool off for your feet and there are adorable cats on the beach who are pretty good at coaxing food out of you.

Overall, totally worth it but be prepared and be ready for a tough hike!

Visited April 2013

Washington DC, District of Columbia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Good shoes, water and a hiking stick”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We hiked the first 1.8 miles today (family of 7 with 3 kids, ages 12,14 and 14). Trail was muddy, but fine. It is best to wear good shoes w/ traction, be prepared to get muddy, bring water and some patience as there are a lot of hikers. We went out in early afternoon and had no problem getting parking as the early crowd was leaving. Being water and extra bars on your phone if you plan to take pics (there is no cell phone connectivity). Views were great. Temps were great. Water was too rough for swimming after hiking so we did not have our usual dip.

beersheva
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“If you dont like it there is something wrong with your soul..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I have been wanting to hike this since I was a small child my father and grandfather had hiked it and it was a must for me.. I thought it was just amazing..I only wish I could of had more time to spend at the Kalalau beach.. The helicopters are annoying but what can you do they seem to buzz by every hours kind of takes away from the vibe.. It was challenging and so beautiful I hope that some day I can bring my son or daughter to this wonderful trail..

Pacific Northwest
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“What a spectacular view!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We didn't hike far up the trail because we kind of came across the trailhead while visiting the nearby beach park. The trail climbs pretty quick pretty fast so if you are not prepared it would be foolish to go very far. The views were awesome. Lots of travelers on the trail. Early arrival is key if you want a parking spot for the trails of the beach.

Russia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Beware of car theft!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

There's much said about the trail and its awesome views. I can't help but agree.
What I want to add is a couple of suggestions.
1) The parking lot at Ke'e beach gets full very early. Late comers (we came at 10 a.m. and were late comers) have to park on the dirt (unpaved parking lot) 1\4 mile from the trail start.
When we came back from hiking that took us around 3 hours we found our car window broken and our GPS was gone. The GPS was not in sight but actually hidden away but it WAS in the car and it was our mistake. DO NOT leave any valuables in your car! The lifeguard who helped us to call for police told such things are not rare unfortunately.
2) The shoes. The have to be comfortable. By no means flip-flops (I have no idea how guys in flip flops were feeling, but in fact they wore flip-flops!!!). In case of rain the road (some parts of it) becomes very muddy and slippery. To twist your ankle even in good sport boots is like nothing to do. Have plenty of water with you and some first aids. We were helping a woman who fell in the dirt and scratched badly her leg and nose.
On the whole th trail is great and taking it is a real adventure. Just be prepared and you'll have a lot of fun.