“Lava rocks and Soft sand” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: State Parks, Outdoors
Calgary AB
18 attraction reviews
“Lava rocks and Soft sand”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Turn off Hwy 19 right across from West Hawaii Veterans Cemetery. There was no signage on hwy, but it's 2 miles north of airport. Wear good shoes as you need to hike down a short rough terrain path before hitting the sand. Unbelievable ocean colours, black lava rocks, good surf, white sand and great sunset spot make for a wonderful area. Restrooms located near parking. Loved this beach and was my favourite pick to stay for a few hours. Highly recommended.

Visited October 2012

toronto
27 attraction reviews
“Kekaha Kai Beach Amazing Blue Water and Pure White Sandy Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Found this beach the second time we were on the island. The year before the tsumni had closed it. It is a smaller beach so expect people but the sand is so different from the other island's beaches. It is super fine and white and the beach is in a cove with turquoise blue water. The lava comes right up to the sand which creates a beautiful scene. Do arrive earlier if you don't want to walk a long way to the beach entrance. The park has created a turnaround so you can drop the parent and kids with the beach gear right at the entrance and then park the vehicle so it is only 1 person walking back and forth. Would highly recommend it to everyone as it showcases another style of beach that can be found on the Big Island

Visited August 2012
Tampa, Florida
202 attraction reviews
“A Nice Park After I Got Over Walking In Rough Lava Rocks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We saw the sign and decided to check it out. I was glad we did. Initially, I was shocked that the park was full of lava rocks. After I got over that shock, I liked it. It was a nice and very interesting park. Some of the roads were rough but it was part of the adventure. Wear good shoes when you go there. It is a long walk to see the water.

Visited September 2012
Olathe, KS
75 attraction reviews
“Great beaches”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

We visited this park multiple times. There are several different areas of beach to access and esch with a different appeal. Favorite was on the south edge of the park. You have to drive or hike a way down a ROUGH road. Note....if you dont have a car with decent roa d clearance such as an SUV, hike it. It will take a while but we saw several cars bust oil pans on the road. The easirr access beaches are another great option, but I thought the rough trip was worth while. There were a lot of people but it felt like it was secluded.

Southern California
9 attraction reviews
“Worth The Unpaved Drive!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We stumbled on this location. As our flight was landing, I noticed out the window a bunch of vehicles on this winding unpaved road. Didn't think too much about it, until I found myself at the unmarked entrance to this beach. I was immediately intrigued and decided to take my rental, a Toyota Corolla on this adventure. Warning, the road is not paved and it takes some skill navigating a compact car through the potholes and dirt. I definitely wouldn't try this on a rainy day, or again without an SUV. However, there were other sedans on trekking to and from the area. It took about 30 minutes to arrive at this wonderful beach and only about 25 minutes to navigate out.

Anyway, upon arriving at the beach, we were probably one of four groups of people there. It was secluded! The waters were an amazing emerald color and it looked untouched by humanity! Yeah, it was that pretty! We walked north for about 30 minutes and decided that we should head back since the gates to the State Park closed within the hour and the sun was setting.

If you're up for the drive, albeit a slow and calculated one, I highly recommend this attraction! Note that the gates close at 7PM and when we were exiting (about 20 minutes prior to closing, the Park Ranger was already there prepping to close it.) Also, be mindful of vehicles traveling at a greater speed than you are -- let them pass you. They'll usually thank you for that with a "honk" of the horn or a "shaka!"

Visited September 2012