“LOVED IT.” 5 of 5 stars

18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“LOVED IT.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I Believe this is out of everything I have ever done, see on vacation. This is # 1. The space you are in, you feel you are touching the stars. To be that high up and not in airplain, is out of this world. You can touch the clouds, see snow in Hawaii and the darkest black that you would ever see, but have the brightest white stars. This earth is amazing.

Visited July 2012

Island of Hawaii, Hawaii
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“A must see!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

If you can get up there and it's clear, and it's not snowing you are in for a treat! When I first went up there we felt like we were in a different world! The view is of the entire island and some of the other islands. Construction of multiple observatories is ongoing and they are spectacular .you should remember you are at 14,000 feet so be careful and go slow or you will get a thumper of a headache! A tour of the main observatory is well worth checking into. Getting up there is a four wheel drive must. Not enough oxygen for older cars and a rental car Is questionable from the rental company. We remember fondly playing in the snow and snorkeling the same day! If you can do it!

Corvallis
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Acclimate to the top of Hawaii”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

We wanted to see the "Megga Moon" from the top of Hawaii. After a stop at the visitor's center to acclimate and watch a video we were off to the top. It was very cold and my oldest daughter and I acclimated just fine, but my husband and youngest daughter had a hard time. The observatory tour was very interesting. We waited for the sun to set and the moon to come out. I loved it! My husband and daughter wanted to leave as soon as possible.

Visited March 2012
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Visit to summit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

We went to summit on our own on a 4wheel drive.you can see observatories on summit.its cold n snowed on that day.on clear days u can spend more time .

Visited November 2011
Dallas, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Top of the Hawaii”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

We visited the observatory on Sunday the 15th since we read on line that we should join an escorted tour of the summit (only on Saturday and Sunday). We start climbing around 1500hrs after a safety briefing and a video about summit.
Weather was not good visibility was not more than 10ft when we start climbing. You must have 4x4 to climb from 9000ft to almost 13000ft to summit it took about 30 minutes of tense driving on gravel, road was very slippery you have to be very careful. From visitor center to summit its gravel road but I guess after like 2-4 miles you will get a paved road and drive become real easy from there to top of the mountain.
Since we (convey of 5 vehicle) were guided by a staff member from visitor center we were able to get access to KECK I .make sure you are wearing a thick warm jacket and it is extremely cold inside the doom. We were also lucky to see the KECK 1 moving from inside. All I can say it is huge really huge. Our guide was very knowledgeable and was able to answer many questions.
Coming down the summit was an easy ride for me. Star glazing show at visitor center was not very impressive; we were able to see Saturn and its two moons, telescopes are awesome.

Visited May 2011