“Great place for dessert and coffee” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dessert, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Reynolds Street
Description: Our approach to dining is to provide a totally unique, high quality experience with fresh breads, home baked desserts, and great tasting, chef prepared dishes at casual dining prices.
Augusta, Georgia
“Great place for dessert and coffee”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We have been there several times. The tables are small and too close together. It does get a bit loud when crowded. The portion of the delicious desserts are ginormous.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Athens GA
“Just Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

During a day trip to Augusta, to reacquaint with the Riverwalk, we had lunch at Boll Weevil. There are very few choices for lunch on the Riverwalk, and astoundingly there are no waterfront restaurants whatsoever, which was a travesty in and of itself. Anyway, Boll Weevil is located in a very old brick structure, which, interior-wise could use some maintenance, cleaning & updating. Overall, there was an air of non-chalant indifference from the staff as to whether you would have a good dining experience or not. Upon entering we were greeted by an unsmiling hostess, although we came in with warm hellos and smiles. The same thing with our server...just almost no personality, although to her credit she answered all of our questions and made suggestions when asked. After a while, I asked her her name and once I began calling her by name, she became more personable and animated. As for the food, it was not bad, but not great. The fried green tomatoes were good and were battered & fried nicely & the accompanying sauce was also tasty. The tomato apple soup is quite good. We both ordered sandwiches, which were just ok...my friend ordered the Curious George, which she liked, but said it was on the dry side. I ordered the honey mustard chicken salad, which I did not care for at all (it was too mustardy & too wet). We both liked the homemade bread the sandwiches were served on. Our food came out in a decent time period, but I can see how that might have been a problem had they been busier. On Sundays, their cakes are offered at a special price, so we ordered Red Velvet...the slice was huge...enough for 2 or 3 people. The cake itself was ok...a little dry, but the cream cheese icing was superb and there was plenty of it. The whipped cream garnish was completely unnecessary and detracted from the cake. I make Red Velvet cakes during the holidays, so I am very picky about them & this one left me a little disappointed, although I was told it was their top seller. I have to wonder about management here, because I have read review after review, going back several years, about the unfriendly staff & the cleanliness of the place. It does not seem that these issues have been resolved. If I lived in Augusta, I might give this place a 2nd try, but if & when I return, I am inclined to go somewhere else.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Meh...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

A bit "yuppy" for my tastes but adequate. Sandwiches and soups are good. Nothing spectacular.

Now the desert. Apple Blossoms. Now that is WAY above GREAT. But be prepared. They are very very sweet.

We go there for those alone.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Corbin City, New Jersey
“great lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Wow what a treasure excellent soup and sandwich offering just a few step from the river their desserts are the best stop in for cake and coffee you won't be disappointed.

Visited August 2013
richmond, va
“Great bakery items!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

For some reason, boll weevil popped into my mind, bringing back memories of their delicious cakes. I had to put in a comment and hope that readers will give it a try and it is the same great place as I remember.

I had lunch there and I'm sure it was great, but let's face it, cake rules! I've tried several cakes, including, the hummingbird and red velvet, both are delicious. I hope you give it a try sometime. I remember it had good atmosphere as well.

• Visited September 2012