“Low Country Beauty” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 80 Hotels in Augusta
Miami, Florida
“Low Country Beauty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

The Marriott Augusta at the Convention Center is a HUGE facility that has a great ambiance and a surprisingly friendly staff. I am here for a convention and have found the event facilities to be really spacious and customer friendly. Sitting on the bank of a river the views are spectacular and I have been able to move about leisurely and safely.

I was told that there was a culinary school attached to the hotel food services staff and BOY have they done a great job on serving buffet style to our large group. this morning I had breakfast in the hotel restaurant and had at least 3 different people check on me every wish. The food had none of the usual "hotel" flair, it was eclectic and very tasty.

Pricing was high to me for this part of the country, but the service almost made up for the cost.

Great property for a conference.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
AugustaMarriott, Social Media Specialist at Augusta Marriott at the Convention Center, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for recently staying with us. We are glad you found our meeting space spacious and comfortable and are happy to hear that you enjoyed the food served at our restaurant. We hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

You typically think that a Marriott is going to be top of the line, but not this one. Now, you cannot hold them accountable for the riff-raff running around outside and the fact that, if you are alone, it is not safe to leave this hotel on foot. But you can hold them accountable for the rude staff, the horrible shape of the room, poor parking and the poor air system of the building.

My room was burning up not matter how far down I turned down the Fan (not AC) in the room. Upon check-in there was hair in the bathroom sink. The boxed bar soap for hands next to the sink had been used and put back in the box. Disgusting. There is a small parking deck that you have to use your key to access. That's great for security purposes, but if you go out of the 9th street exit, you have to get out of your car to scan the card. Plus, if you have to park on the second level, the only entrance to the hotel is up a narrow set of steps in the garage which is horrible if you are trying to lug a suitcase and few personal items. There really should be elevator access here.

The only good thing about this stay was that my company footed the bill, not me.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
AugustaMarriott, Manager at Augusta Marriott at the Convention Center, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
I recently received a copy of your review. Our hotel prides itself in providing great service and great rooms, please accept our sincere apologies if your stay was not what you hoped it would be. We appreciate all feedback and work hard on improving all areas of our business. We will review and pass along your comments to the appropriate departments. We hope you give us the opportunity of having you as a guest in our hotel again and please know you can expect a much better stay. Please don't hesitate in contacting me if I can be of any assistance during your next stay.

Matthew Ricker - Hotel Manager
Tampa, Florida, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Stayed for a wedding and if we hadn't had a group rate I think I would have been much more upset. The hotel is nice, but it is split into two buildings the main hotel which is very nice and the "suites" tower which felt like the red headed step child of the hotel. Our room was nice, but there was almost no staff in the suites building, there was never anyone at the front desk. Just a sign saying to pick up the phone to be connected to someone. There was no exhaust fan in the bathroom so it was very steamy and I can only imagine at some point moldy. The beds were hard as a rock and we had to ask for more toilet paper because the cleaning staff did not replace our roll when they cleaned the room. Upon check in we were given the wrong room and and to make the trek all the way back to the main building to have our room switched, which the desk staff handled quickly. We also had some issues with the wait staff. The party we were with had booked a private room in the hotel restaurant and the waiter seemed very annoyed when I asked to see the prices (the menu we were given did not have any listed). He was also visibly annoyed at the fact that my table only ordered apps and salads. Forgive me, but $34 for an entree is a little outside my budget and I would think that a server would be a little more understanding of that, unless the Marriott pays its wait staff very, very well. We also had an issue with the room service which was also quite pricey, but at least a little more reasonable and since the Quizno's in the lobby is only open until 3pm we were kind of out of options. I specify asked when ordering for a pickle with my husband's burger. I was told that all the sandwiches come with a pickle, however when we received our food there were no pickles to be found. Overall our stay was ok, but for the price this would not be my first choice. I expected more from a Marriott.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

The Augusta Marriott is really two hotels, connected around and through the Augusta Convention Center and located along the city's riverwalk. The area around the hotel is in the middle of a long-running transition from decayed cityscape to renewal...hopefully it will gain momentum.

But to the hotel itself needs a healthy dose of renewal. It's a bit tired and worn, although with spot improvements. Just take the pictures on the website and replace the "bright-and-new" Photoshop filter with the "dim-and-worn" filter, as it were.

The common areas look nice enough, although still dated. The rooms in the Marriott Suites tower leave a bit to be desired. Plumbing is *really* loud, there a many, many coats of paint on the closet door woodwork, bath/shower caulking is messy...things like that.

And while the suite option does allow you to close two doors between where you are sleeping and the hallways, it can still be noisy. [What is it about guests in big city hotels that makes many of them walk, talk, run, shout in the hallways right outside rooms where people are trying to sleep?]

The hotel's bar staff was nice and helpful. The food was pretty average, but I certainly cannot see why others have raved about the hotel restaurant. Maybe if your idea of a great restaurant is Applebees/Outback/etc.

Parking garage is very convenient and not over-priced, but as others have noted, the underground garage is poorly designed with too-small spaces (even for my small car).

Room Tip: If in the suite tower, do NOT pick floor 2...it is the passageway from one area of the hotel to anot...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Senoia, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed there one night because I felt it was just a little too expensive just for a place to sleep while in educational meetings for 6 days. My wife and I enjoyed the one night she visited. Is close to restaurants in downtown Augusta. Not much much to see near by to hotel. Nice river walk if you want a quiet leisurely stroll. Would not stay there for vacation but did like convention facilities.

Room Tip: Parking is not free and room with taxes is very costly for a non-resort.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for recently staying at our hotel. We are glad you and your wife had a comfortable stay. We hope you consider us again next time you are in town.
Hixson, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stopped at this hotel after arriving in Augusta late at night, and I am so glad we did. When you walk in the lobby, it is absolutely stunning. The double staircase is quite beautiful. The lady that checked us in was very nice. We got a king suite and were quite pleased. The bed was very comfortable. The furniture in the sitting room was fine, and also contained a desk. We used the free internet connection and the bandwidth more than enough for us. You can pay for "premium internet" but we did not need that.

Our room was on a back corner so the view from one of our windows was of the RiverWalk. It was pleasant to look out and see that. I did not know that Augusta had a RiverWalk! But, after finding out about it, we went down to it the following morning after checking out. Augusta did a wonderful job - it was very beautiful and peaceful.

I did like the fact that the garage was covered and well-lighted. I did not expect to pay a parking fee, but then - I did not ask about that when checking in. So, I am not dinging them for that. That was my oversight.

Tip - get the breakfast buffet in Augustino's. It is a much better deal money-wise. And their breakfast spread is really good!

If I had one suggestion it would be to put up some signs to help folks get from the Marriott Suites to the restaurant and\or lobby. I think the Marriott Suites is actually a separate but connected building to the Convention Center\lobby\restaurant building. We could not find our way to the main lobby (we actually found a small un-manned lobby in the Marriott Suites building). We met up with another hotel guest who was trying to find the restaurant Augustino's. We eventually found a hotel employee who led us to the restaurant and lobby.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
We are glad you had a comfortable stay at our hotel and enjoyed our delicious breakfast in Augustino's. We appreciate your feedback about signage and are looking into better directing guests in our hotel. We hope to see you again soon!
Macon, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We chose the Augusta Marriott for its location near the activities for reunion weekend at the Medical College of Georgia. When booked a suite at what we thought was the Augusta Marriott, but the room was really at the Marriott Suites hotel adjoining. The Marriott Suites portion of the hotel was very worn and very noisy. Our room was clean, and the bed was comfortable, but we could clearly hear everything going on in the room next door. The carpeting was dated in the hallways, and the bathroom cabinetry was scuffed and marred. I thought the price per night was high for the room conditions.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Augusta Marriott at the Convention Center? Share your experiences!