“Great Desserts!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica
“Great Desserts!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I visit FMG each time I'm in Augusta. I look forward to visiting friends on the patio. The Angus Steak Salad was interesting, but I always save room for the Peanut Butter Pie!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Columbia SC
“Decieved and Dissappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My family and I took a day trip to Augusta and we wanted a different place to eat lunch. We decided on the FMG based on the Tripadvisor reviews, eventhough reviews were mixed. FMG advertises itself as serving Louisiana Cajun and Creole style food, which it does. It just doesn't give customers very good versions of Cajun and Creole dishes. Our table ordered fried crawfish (appetizer); a triple tasting (three or four spoonsful in ramekin) of gumbo, shrimp creole, and red beans & rice; a shrimp poboy (listed as most popular); and a fried shrimp dinner. The poboy was cold and had to be sent back for a fresh one. The crawfish were either overcooked or they were freezerburnt since they were not very moist. Of the tastings trio, only the gumbo came close to being authentic to Louisiana Cajun & Creole. Without exception, all of the fried seafood lacked enough salt to season. This is unacceptable for Cajun and Creole cuisine. Finally, the service that we received from our server was poor at best. She concentrated more on her other tables with larger parties than she did on our party of three. If it had not been for the other restaurant staff, there is no telling how long we would have had to wait to place our order or have our food brought to us. Our server was not an exception as we noticed, but we did noticed other servers that gave much better service to customers. I would not eat there again because the food just is not worth the price and it tastes very ordinary. As other reviewers mentioned, maybe the FMG was better in the past, but they certainly are not now.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Evans, Georgia
“Perfect Crawfish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

This is more like going to NO than is reasonable to expect outside of Louisiana and the gumbo may be better than NO

Visited October 2012
North Augusta, South Carolina
“Sentimental value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Located in Augusta, Georgia, the one city in America that feels like home to me and where I would love to live more than anywhere, the French Market Grille is a staple among countless other reasons why Augusta feels like home to me. They are my top go to place when I am in the area, and in the same shopping center as Sweetbrier Fair, where my mother bought things for me as a child.

To start with, I love this restaurant (obviously), but only if I sit out on the patio area. Sometimes I have arrived around on a weekday around 5:00 in the afternoon, and had it all to myself before going to an Augusta RiverHawks hockey game. That can be quite peaceful, in spite of the music coming from the bar. The owner, who frequently walks around this area arranging silverware on tables, agreed with me on that note. By now, it goes without saying that the atmosphere here is great for anyone.

I feel that a fantastic place to start raving about this place is the she crab soup, which I order every single time I go. This is the only restaurant I have been to that serves it with the "communion" glass of sherry, as well as with a distinct taste that I have not noticed anywhere else. I have had she crab soup from multiple locations in Charleston, SC, and with as many seafood restaurants as the city is home to, you would think someone there would do it as good or better than French Market Grille, being that it is a seafood oriented soup. However, not the case. Warning: If you order the cup of soup, you will most likely be wishing you opted for the bowl instead.

Next up in my review is not a complaint, but a preference: the bread and butter they serve. It is rather plain bread with nothing special about it. I usually inform the waiter or waitress that I will pass on it so that I can go straight to the she crab soup.

My commonly ordered menu items are the West Bank Beef Duo, Blackened Filet of Beef, or Honey Pecan Chicken. Against the grain of what some have been saying in reviews, I have no issues with the quality of the meat they serve. Also, I will gladly go with the Shrimp and Grits lunch special if I arrive early enough for lunch, blackened as a personal preference. The spicier my food, the better.

The waitstaff are friendly and welcoming, and I tend to believe that it only helps that I am constantly raving about the food. During my most recent visit, I had a nice conversation with the waiter about Philly cheese steak sandwiches, one of which I ordered on this day. Being born in the south, it was nice to learn the best places to go have one in Philadelphia (Geno's or Pat's). I have yet to find out if one of theirs will top French Market Grille's, served by default with jalapenos, which is fine with me (remember, I love my food with a kick to it). Since I doubt that I will be traveling up north any time soon, in my admittedly biased opinion, a potentially better Philly cheese steak experience is not going to happen for me yet.

The desserts are amazing here, and some are rather inventive. I tend to lean towards cheesecake, as someone who can't get enough of it. But if you want to go out of the norm, give the peanut butter pie a go.

If this is not authentic New Orleans food in your opinion, well, all you have to do is go to New Orleans. I have personally never been, so I wouldn't know. If you are still reading my review, I will say that this is definitely not a place to dine on a budget, so I am assuming the owner believes that the food is close enough to the real thing based on the prices.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Augusta, Georgia
“not a bad place but quality of food could be better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Not so New Orleans like, but still their po-boy's are very good. It is a nice place to eat and the meals are reasonably priced. I will say their Cajun is much hotter than some places I have eaten in New Orleans.

• Visited October 2012