“A very good experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 80 Hotels in Augusta
YPSILANTI
“A very good experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

Simple, neat, clean, good customer service. Very close to my family in North Augusta and very reasonably priced. Nothing fancy.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
home
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

hotel was very nice,showers but no tub in our room
rooms were very nice,breakfast was ok,the usal stuff
quality and sleep inn share the same pool.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
ROCK hILL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

Nice place to stay, I will be back again (next week).

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2008

I should have known better, but I opted for a lower priced hotel. This hotel is dirty and worn out. I've never seen a room door where you could actually see out in the hall all the way around! Don't make my mistake!

Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
WI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2008

Stayed at the Sleep - Inn, Columbia S.C. had a great experience, thought I would try this one - - very sad place - - - Lady said , I'm sorry I don't think we're going to be able to please you "it would be better if you found somewhere else to stay" I asked to look at a room - one was dirty - the other room had a door latch that was broke - can you believe it - word to the wise - don't waste your time - I can't believe that the hotel chain keeps this group of mis-mangers running the place. sad - sad - sad.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
Watertown, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2008

Our stay at this hotel was one of the worst experiences with the hospitality industry, ever. Upon arrival, we were greeted by a surly staff, poor preparation for our large party and a terrible smell.

I should've seen that we were going to have problems when I first checked in. When I reserved our room as part of a family reunion a few months ago, I requested a crib for our two-year-old. When we got there, they assured me it wouldn't be a problem to place it in our room.

I walked around the corner and noticed a terribly moldy smell in the hallway. They had placed me in a room almost directly across from a large meeting room and around the corner from the hotel's common dining area. I went straight back and asked them if I could upgrade to a suite or get a room further away from the common area and meeting room since I was worried about my daughter being awakened by noise from the family reunion. One of the three front desk clerks working promised that there was no way we'd be able to hear anyone in the common area, so I dropped it.

I asked if they could go ahead and bring the crib I requested to our room. One of them told me the only crib the hotel had was being used by someone else in our party. They said they had no record of my request for a crib and that there was nothing they could do for me! I assured them I had requested it, and after looking more closely at my reservation they found that I had indeed made the request. They said that there was nothing they could do now since they only had one. I asked to be comped for one night (we were staying two) so that I could go out and buy a bed for my daughter. I would have brought our own pack and play had I known there was a possibility we wouldn't be able to use the hotel's crib. They all seemed pretty shocked that I wasn't about to back down on the issue and I felt a little bullied into dropping it. Finally, they said they would figure it out. A few hours later they brought us the cheapest, tiniest pack and play I have ever seen. My daughter got about four hours of sleep that night.

In addition to the crib debacle, the entire wing where my family was staying reeked of mold. It was easy to see why when I walked down to my parents' room. They were staying midway down the hall. There was a large wet area in the hallway. The management were trying to dry it with fans. As you walked past the area with the fans, the air seemed heavy with mold. It was difficult to breathe. We stayed there two nights and the wet carpet never dried and the smell got worse and worse. My sister and her husband had to change to the second floor because the carpet in their room became wet. When they told the woman at the front desk that the carpet was wet in the hall, she acted as if she knew nothing about it.

The first night, there was a large family gathering in the meeting room almost directly across from our room (a different family from ours). I was upset that no one had told me there would be people in that room after I had expressed concern about my daughter being awakened by noise. She was awakened by someone talking loudly in front of our door at about 11:30 p.m. and got very little sleep that night. I'm not sure if it was because of the noise or because of the small "crib" (her head touched one end, her feet touched the other - I'm not sure it was approved for a child her size) or because of the mold. She woke up with a terrible runny nose. My entire family - even my dad who has never had issues with allergies - came down with runny noses or sinus issues not related to a virus. The allergy suffering generally stopped when we got away from the hotel.

The next morning, I wasn't prepared for maid service at 8:30 a.m. when she wanted to clean our room. She wasn't very friendly about skipping our room, but did come back later when we were finished showering, etc. I had to run in and grab something while she was cleaning. When I came back after she'd finished, I noticed she hadn't made the bed or changed the sheets. She'd left a note on the bed saying she wasn't allowed to move personal items (we'd left a suitcase on the bed). I could certainly appreciate that, but wondered why she hadn't said something to me when I was in the room while she was cleaning or why they hadn't told us the policy when we checked in.

I upgraded to a suite to get away from the meeting areas and the mold. The family members using the crib were leaving that day, so they wheeled it to our room and we had an appropriately sized crib for the second night. I have to wonder if the staff would have told me the crib had become available if we hadn't found out on our own.

The suite was a whole other story - smelly (like urine this time) and the jacuzzi bathtub was just plain scary/grimy-looking. Still, it was away from the noise and it's always nice to have more than one room when you have kids that go to bed earlier than you.

All in all, I was appalled at the attitudes of the staff and the poor conditions and will post this review wherever I can so others won't have similar experiences.

• Disliked — Unhelpful staff
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2008

I got a "suite" and found the carpet was damp to the touch and there was a horrible odor in the room - I'm positive the entire carpet was growing mold. The woman at the front desk would not come to my room to see the problem and the manager wasn't going to be there all weekend. I was in town for a family wedding so didn't have the time (with the rehearsal dinner, pictures, parties, and other wedding stuff) to gather my wife and two kids up and find another hotel.

So Monday when I got home I contacted the manager only to have her tell me that if I didn't like the room I should have stayed somewhere else. I contacted corporate and after being on hold for 45 minutes I was told I had to write a letter of complaint to the hotel manager and she has to deal with it.

Who has time for this crap. I will never stay at another Sleep Inn. And I advise you all to take the managers advice - STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!

DO NOT STAY AT THE SLEEP INN AUGUSTA OR ANY SLEEP INN.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — Customer Service
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sleep Inn Augusta? Share your experiences!