“Best Indian Restaurant in town” 3 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #21 of 436 Restaurants in Augusta
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Romantic, Families with children, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
“Best Indian Restaurant in town”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

Is a small, warm, and cozy restaurant. The place looks nice and clean. The service is good. The quality and flavor of the food are pretty good and affordable. I will definitely go back again soon.

• Visited January 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

McCormick, SC
“Nothing special here”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

I love and seak out ethnic food everywhere I travel. What I am looking for is AUTENTIC ethnic food and it's hard to find. Such is the case with Taj of India. It's India "style" but not authentic. Like most ethnic restaurants the dishes are Americanized to suit what is perceived by the owners as what American will eat. I ask owners every opportunity I get the same question. " How different would the food served in (India in this case) be different than what you serve here"? At Taj of India the answer was "A lot". He went on to say the vegtables would be fresh not frozen (what, we don't have fresh green beans, eggplant etc?) and the spices would be fresher. He went on to say the dishes would be spicier in India. According to the owner, most Americans do not like spicy food. I was there for the lunch buffet. There were eight entres, a raita (yogurt was not great) some rice dessert---really good--some lettuce and tomato with ranch or creamy Italian dressings. Most everything looked and tasted similar. The tandoori chicken was nicely seasoned but dry. The dinner menu is extensive but there are no Indian soups on the appertizer menu. Strange because there are some fantastic Indian soups. Other menu items are clearly Americanized versions of Indian dishes. I'm going to try the place for dinner and specify dishes I know to be authentic Indian and ask that they be cooked just the way they would do it in India. In the meantime I have my eye on an indian restaurant in Greenwood, SC named Danish. Stay tuned.

• Visited July 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Augusta, Georgia
“Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

Can't miss. Wonderful food, great lunch buffet. Some of the best Indian food I have ever had, including NY, Europe...

• Visited July 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Birmingham, Alabama
“Truly the BEST Indian cuisine in Augusta!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

I chose Taj of India based solely on the comments from TA. After having eaten there three times (once for the lunch buffet) in the last month, this restaurant is top of the line in every category.

The owner is very accommodating on the level of spiciness you can handle. The quality of the food is top notch and the prices are very reasonable.

I will visit Taj of India on every trip to Augusta.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Clarksville, Tennessee
“Wonderful Authentic Indian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

My husband and I recently had a delicious dinner here. We shared the vegetable samosa and garlic naan, which were both wonderful. I had the Saag Paneer, which was delicious. My husband, who normally doesn't like Indian food had the lamb biryani and really enjoyed it. The wait staff was attentive and the owner stopped by at times to ensure we were having a good meal. The portions were generous and we both brought home enough leftovers for lunch the next day. We are both looking forward to coming back.

• Visited April 2011