“Nothing special here” 3 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #27 of 408 Restaurants in Augusta
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Dining on a budget, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations
McCormick, SC
“Nothing special here”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

I love and seak out ethnic food everywhere I travel. What I am looking for is AUTENTIC ethnic food and it's hard to find. Such is the case with Taj of India. It's India "style" but not authentic. Like most ethnic restaurants the dishes are Americanized to suit what is perceived by the owners as what American will eat. I ask owners every opportunity I get the same question. " How different would the food served in (India in this case) be different than what you serve here"? At Taj of India the answer was "A lot". He went on to say the vegtables would be fresh not frozen (what, we don't have fresh green beans, eggplant etc?) and the spices would be fresher. He went on to say the dishes would be spicier in India. According to the owner, most Americans do not like spicy food. I was there for the lunch buffet. There were eight entres, a raita (yogurt was not great) some rice dessert---really good--some lettuce and tomato with ranch or creamy Italian dressings. Most everything looked and tasted similar. The tandoori chicken was nicely seasoned but dry. The dinner menu is extensive but there are no Indian soups on the appertizer menu. Strange because there are some fantastic Indian soups. Other menu items are clearly Americanized versions of Indian dishes. I'm going to try the place for dinner and specify dishes I know to be authentic Indian and ask that they be cooked just the way they would do it in India. In the meantime I have my eye on an indian restaurant in Greenwood, SC named Danish. Stay tuned.

• Visited July 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Augusta, Georgia
“Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

Can't miss. Wonderful food, great lunch buffet. Some of the best Indian food I have ever had, including NY, Europe...

• Visited July 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Birmingham, Alabama
“Truly the BEST Indian cuisine in Augusta!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

I chose Taj of India based solely on the comments from TA. After having eaten there three times (once for the lunch buffet) in the last month, this restaurant is top of the line in every category.

The owner is very accommodating on the level of spiciness you can handle. The quality of the food is top notch and the prices are very reasonable.

I will visit Taj of India on every trip to Augusta.

Clarksville, Tennessee
“Wonderful Authentic Indian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

My husband and I recently had a delicious dinner here. We shared the vegetable samosa and garlic naan, which were both wonderful. I had the Saag Paneer, which was delicious. My husband, who normally doesn't like Indian food had the lamb biryani and really enjoyed it. The wait staff was attentive and the owner stopped by at times to ensure we were having a good meal. The portions were generous and we both brought home enough leftovers for lunch the next day. We are both looking forward to coming back.

• Visited April 2011
Augusta, Georgia
“Tried the lunch buffet for our first visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

We read the reviews for The Taj of India and decided to try the lunch buffet so we could sample different items. It's located in the Petersburg Shoppes area on Furys Ferry Road so there is plenty of parking. We were pleasantly surprised by how much we enjoyed our lunch outing.
There were not a lot of patrons eating when we got there so we were able to get a booth. The person that greeted us was very helpful explaining what the things were on the buffet when I told him we had not eaten Indian food before. There were several varieties of chicken - barbecued with Indian spices and a chicken in a curry sauce. We also sampled a vegetable mix that had been fried. We put lentils on the rice and also tried an eggplant-mushroom mix. All very good. We could taste the curry and some spice flavor on several things but it was not strong. The naan was new to us and very good. There was a small salad selection, some yogurt and rice pudding and orange sections for dessert. The amount of selections were not overwhelming so we felt we were able to sample the different offerings and not overeat.
We were very impressed with the Health Inspection rating of 100 - A. It was clean and bright in there and the restrooms are very modern and clean also. There were tables and chairs set up outside for dining.
I certainly recommend this place for an opportunity to try some Indian food - and not have to leave home.

• Visited April 2011