“desperate need for update” 2 of 5 stars

Travelodge Athens
1.5 of 5 Motel   |   898 West Broad Street, Athens, GA 30601   |
Ranked #20 of 21 Hotels in Athens
Greenville
“desperate need for update”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Room was clean, but that is it. Non-smoking room had what looked like cigarette burn holes in blanket and chair. One of the night stands was missing. Floor tiles cracked in bathroom and mirror was scratched/discolored.Breakfast was a surprise to have fruit and bagels, however, toaster did not work. Location was reason we stayed here but would pick another hotel in future.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

This is the dirtiest and shabbiest hotel I have ever stayed in. Despite being a nonsmoking room their were burn holes in the blankets, sofa, and furniture. Despite being on the second floor , the bathroom floor was soft and obviously rotting. They are one of the few though that allow one day stays on game weekend.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

The lady at the front door was so unfriendly and nosy. She kept looking at me and my friend like we're aliens. She didn't even say thank you and give me the copy. Omg it was so terrible and I honest suggest the owner fires her asap. Bad bad experience in Athens. Farewell travellodge!

• Stayed June 2012
Stillwater, ok
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

After driving scenic roads all day, we needed a place to crash for the night and just pulled in and got a room. I wish I had kept driving. This room was dirty to say the least. (room 215 on 3/13/21) and looked to have been used and abused badly in it's lifetime. Wyndham Hotel Group should be ashamed to have there name on this one.

Room Tip: Avoid room 215
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Columbus, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

We checked into a non smoking room that smelled awful. On the floor right under the dust ruffle were cigarette butts. We were moved to another room. When we went into the bathroom there were dirty towels draped over the edge of the bathtub, dried dirty wash cloths in the corner of the bathtub, dirty soap on the side of the bath tub, mold on the shower curtain and red stuff on the shower head. When the staff were advised, we were told there was nothing they could do and we would have to talk to the mgr in the am. We slept with our clothes on on top of the bedspread, using our coats as blankets for fear the sheets had not been cleaned or changed. Even then, we itched all night. The next morning the lady on duty in the office professed to be the manager. When I explained our experience, she told me that I could have a full refund but I would have to sign something that would prevent me from complaining. When I stated I was going to complain, I was told that I would not be given a refund. When I asked her to put that in writing, she told me she could don't do that and in fact was not the manager. I then asked for a zero balance bill. She advised that she could not do that. After I insisted that indeed she could and would, she did. A member of the cleaning crew advised they are not allows to leave towels on the floor. I informed them that indeed it had happened and I had pictures to prove it. She immediately left. I am confident that not only are the rooms never cleaned, but that management has no interest in ensuring they have a clean facility. I would not be surprised if the rooms rent out hourly or the hotel staff allow people to stay in or use the rooms.

It was by far the worst hotel I have ever see or stayed out. It should be shut down.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the Holiday Inn Express down the street.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
nyc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

I would seriously urge students to commit a non-violent crime that would put them in jail overnight, before advising anyone to book a night at the Travelodge. As a 2003 UGA alumni, I continually struggle to find available rooms during the football season and have, in the past, been forced to stay at the Travelodge. While never experiencing any serious issues, the place is simply old and crappy. Real estate is at a premium near the downtown area, so it is my hope that the stubborn owners of the Travelodge sell the property for its land value, so that a new hotel can be built.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

I travel with a pet sometimes, so cannot really do hotwire or priceline when traveling with her. So after checking which hotels near downtown Athens will allow pets, I booked through Travelodge website without thinking.

First, it is not really downtown. It is walking distance from The Varsity, but, taking my dog for a walk towards downtown on Broad St. the afternoon we got there, I quickly turned around after passing boarded up businesses and avoiding the shady looking bums hanging out and hopscotching the broken beer and wine bottles on the sidewalk. I drove my car downtown and parked, which I recommend. The deadbolt would not lock, and the security latch looked like it had been knocked off during a break-in and hastily reattached. I had my dog, so did not request another room, which I should have.

The room: Bed looked like someone had dropped a bowling ball from 10 stories on top of it...a 1.5 foot depression about 1 foot deep in the middle of the bed....maybe a 250 pound hooker had been working there. Debris and dried liquid/unknown materials on walls and headboard. Hot water took about 20 minutes to get to the room. Knob on tub shower was loose and took some real magic to get water to come out, much less figure out how to get hot water. When the shower knob was pulled, about 10 % of water came out of shower head and the remaining 90% came out of the faucet, so wetting yourself, much less hair, was a real task. Bathtub/tile/floor had been patched with big messy bead of caulk which was cracked and brown.

Phone buttons were all smashed in. Luckily "O" worked when I had to call the office to report the fight going on in a nearby room. After some guy banged on the door for 10 minutes at 2 AM, the stupid girl inside opened it, let him in, and they were screaming and cursing each other(calling each other "N*&G*r") and I expected gunfire at any time. I called the office rather than the police, and the front desk girl said "call 911". I said I don't know what room it is in and she said she would check it out. Well, the screaming/banging continued and she called me back in a few minutes and said "i didn't hear anything". I doubt she checked it out, as this is probably normal in this hotel. As the domestic violence continued, I called her back and said I was frightened. She said she would call the police. They came, and knocked on MY door! Of course, the minute the cop showed up, they stopped fighting. You would think that Athens police would know how to approach a situation like this and observe the violence so that they could at least address the situation and make arrests.

The only good thing about this stay was that I was able to check out alive and not injured. Now, will I get some disease or discover bedbugs later? I don't know.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Been to Travelodge Athens? Share your experiences!