“I was very disappointed in the quality of the hotel and...” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free High Speed Internet
Ranked #14 of 21 Hotels in Athens
Woodstock
“I was very disappointed in the quality of the hotel and...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I was very disappointed in the quality of the hotel and room for what I paid. It is an old hotel that has not had any improvements made to it. It should be a $69 a night hotel not $183. I selected this hotel because it was the only one with a vacancy. I see why now. Next time, I will opt to drive back home in the same day rather than settling for something that was outrageously priced for what you got. I don't mind paying for something when I receive quality in return for what I pay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

minesh p, Guest Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Express Athens, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write us your feedback. We appreciate the effort you gave to bring this matter to our attention, and giving us an opportunity to correct the things we may have overlooked. The candid comments regarding the entire accommodation will be assessed and evaluated accordingly. Rest assured that we will do our utmost to ensure the quality of our services, so that such instances would never happen again. It is our goal to provide our valued guests the best service we can offer. We hope to give you a far better experience should you reconsider and visit us again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Chattanooga, TN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

What to expect.
- A rock hard bed (the flinstones slept in softer beds)
- Pillows made by Frito-Lay (my children gave this description, I brought my own)
- Toilet flushed lightly every 15 minutes (pretty annoying).
- Window AC unit. Lazy and schizophrenic (description given by a son with an ACT score of 31). Hard to turn knob to a comfortable temp. Not digital. Loud.
- Shower was loud. Air in pipes?
- Can hear traffic on the road even if room is not facing road. Room not well insulated.
- 16 year old kid did not recognize the microwave it was so old (turn knobs).

Notes:
- I chose second floor due to having sliding doors. Neighborhood not that nice.
- Take your own pillow. And enough motrin to make anyone pass out (sleep).
- Beds have plastic covers. Good for those that worry about bed bugs.
- I am severely allergic. Only a few hotels (at my price range have ever allowed me to wake up allergy free). Take your benadryl with you.
- Room was exceptionally clean. Was able to walk on carpeting without getting bottom of socks filthy dirty.
- Do not pay more than $49 for this room, or you will feel robbed. $39 would have seemed fair.
- Free wi-fi. Main reason I chose this place. Worked great. 2nd floor.
- Plenty of hot water for 3 showers in a row. No hair conditioner. No dryer.
- Room is smallest I have ever seen in my life. Not normal sized.
- I have reviewed many hotels room exceptionally well. The price of $49 was not worth the room. The managers are very friendly, which made it hard for me to give this bad review.

Room Tip: If this is for UGA trip, find a location closer to the school. I thought Athens was smaller and did...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
minesh p, Guest Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Express Athens, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
We would like to thank you for finding the time to share to us your valuable comment following your stay with us. We sincerely believe that guest feedbacks are indeed paramount for us to gauge the level of our service and allow us to focus on matters that are essential for guests’ comfort. Thank you for giving us an opportunity to be aware of our deficiencies, rest assured that matters regarding the facilities and amenities in total will not go unnoticed and we will make necessary actions to ensure that similar situations will be avoided in the future. We deeply apologize for the inconvenience it has caused you, and we hope that we may be able to give you a far better experience should you reconsider and visit us again.
BIRMINGHAM
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

First of all Stepine at the front desk was a rock star. The manager on duty was also very good. The problems, asked and made a copy of my drivers license without a privacy policy. Matching my license to my credit card and keeping it on file is a problem. I never had a hotel ask and keep a copy of my license. The outside of the property is well kept and clean. We were in building A or the first building. The door into the building should have been locked but was not. It appears the door did not close correctly, a safety issue. The room was clean, with a flat screen t.v. The only issue was a large Clorex stain on the bed spread. The manager quickly took care of this, but for $150@ night it should have been better. He did discount the rate, but we left and went to the Hampton down the street and got the last room. We did not have provide my license and as to cost it was the same but better quality room, but the front desk was not as good.

Room Tip: Work with the front desk, they are great.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
We sincerely value the time and effort you gave to share to us your experience following your recent stay. We wish to let you know that we will work harder than hard to further improve the services we offer our valued guests. Thank you for giving us an opportunity to correct our deficiencies, and we hope that we may give you a far better experience next time.
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

MY Wife and I had some car issues, needed a place to stay until the problem had been fixed. What a wonderful and professional staff, they represent the Howard Johnson brand very well. We were both surprised and delighted to see such hardworking at its best. Kudos to the Entire Staff! By the way, now we're both now EX Priority Club Members. Thanks to the Excellent Service, Bargain Price and Great Breakfast! Thanks Again and See You Very Soon!

Room Tip: Excellent Bargain!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
To hear such an inspiring feedback from our valued guest is indeed heart-warming. We couldn’t thank you enough for appreciating all the hard work we put into serving you well. The notice you gave to our reliable staff as well as the liking for the accommodation and the breakfast served motivates us to strive harder than hard to excel more in this line of work. We sincerely hope that we could be of service to you again very soon.

Been to Howard Johnson Express Athens? Share your experiences!