“Good for Athens!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Athens
Metro-Manila
“Good for Athens!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

For a college town, University of Georgia is located there, it's great to have a Holiday Inn. It is basic with small common spaces. Rooms were okay. A bit ratty. Free wifi was good to have if you had enough of it. The signal was soooo poor! It was almost useless. They put us in an added wing that was forced to say it nicely. To go to our room from the puny reception, it was a trek through corridors that never ended. Never had a meal there so can't tell what was. The reception people were nice but somewhat lacking in skill. Free coffee in the room. That was good. For what it was, it was still reasonably priced.

• Stayed February 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Athens-University Area, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Elfilibusterismo,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. I am pleased that were able to meet the basics you expect from our hotel. However, I am sorry that we failed in a few areas. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we offer to our guests.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
LaGrange, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights. Checking in was a weird experience, our room was not ready so they put us in a different room, then called that room and said we have to move you again due to maintence issues. We get to that room and the view was amazing but that was it! My husband and I step out to walk around downtown, come back and our hotel door was open. We called and reported it and they came up there and hooked a computer to the door to see who came in our room and said they would investigate and get back with us... They never did.. I felt unsafe and stored my valuable items in my car!! They tried to compensate the crappy room switch with a breakfast pass from their restaurant, the food was nasty! The second day we expected to come back to a nice clean room and all they did was come in and make up the bed and add some towels. They did not clean out the ice bucket or empty the trash or anything else. On top of all that, they charged a security charge to my credit card upon our arrival and have yet to take it off.... The staff was friendly. It was just overall a very weird experience.

• Stayed February 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Athens-University Area, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Jeanette B,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Northern Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed one night. The hotel is very reasonably priced, especially at this time of year when school was not back in session and there was no football. Can walk from hotel to campus and all the downtown stores and restaurants. The beds were comfortable and the room was clean.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Tacoma, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I stayed here for one night. Everything was fine. The hotel is rather worn around the edges, but given that it is filled with rowdy Bulldog fans every weekend during football seasons, they've managed to keep things fairly clean and working well. The room was quiet and the bed comfortable. The shower was really great after a long day of driving. Everyone at the desk was helpful and friendly. Good value and great location right in downtown Athens. I didn't have to drive at all.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Ames, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I stayed here for three nights while traveling for a business trip. I checked in on a Sunday late afternoon and stood in line ofor 15 minutes as they only had 1 person working behind the desk. After getting my room key, parking sticker and internet code I found my way over to my room. I stayed in the North Tower which was a little odd getting too . . . I finnally figured it out but it was weird. I had a King room in th corner which was nice. Not a lot of noise and it was a fairly large room to spreasd out my work related stuff.

I had a micrwave & fridge - they charge an arm & a leg for water/soda in the vending machines so stop ahead of time. Hotel is right in the middle of downtown so easy access to stores, cafe's and restaurants. I tried the hotel restraurant on my 2nd night and I don't reccomend the food. Service was ok - nothing extravaget and the food was so-so. I would have gotten a much better meal elsewhere.

The odd part of this hotel is that it has either been re-modeled or added onto so traveling from one section to another part of the hotel can be confusing. I stumbled accross a short cut from the north tower to the on-site restaurant by going through the stair door and across the hall to the other sides elevator and taking that down. The elevator I closest to me was down for repair when I finished with my conference the first day and I didn't want to lug up all my supplies to the 6th floor.

Room was comfy - nice & big, spacious bathroom, good water pressure, and room to spread out my work stuff. Internet was decent, a tad slow in the evening but for the most part okay. Bed was a little saggy and by the 3rd night I was a little stiff.

I was a little perterbed with the hotel's housekeeping staff. Check-out is at 11 AM and they were already knocking on my door by 8 AM to see if I had checked out yet. I found this a little rude and mentioned it to the front desk when I did check out about 10 AM.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Well, this was interesting. We booked our room through a deal on Priceline so we saved about $40 for the night. We checked in around 6:30 and there was a kid's soccer team that had taken over the place so we were put in a King Executive Suite in the Executive Tower. Parking is free but it was a pain to find a space. Luckily someone was leaving to get dinner and we snagged that space.

After making it across the parking lot we used our key to get into the executive tower and our room was right by the elevator and door. Well this is where it gets weird. The Executive Tower is the old tower (The hotel has added a new tower) and in the room we were in they had turned two rooms into one but it was stupidly large! It was a plus sleeping 20 feet from the door with another door that we could close was great being that we were right by the main entrance to the building and the elevator. With that door closed it was nice and quiet. However, the strange recesses that you know used to be a closet and the large open areas that made it look like the room had been stripped of furniture left a little to be desired.

There is a full size refrigerator and a full sized sink with a microwave and a coffee maker but no stove? Why make a kitchen area so large and you can't cook anything in it? Then the living or sitting area is also humongous but not practical and it's not useful space for a traveler everything is pushed over to the side and there is an open area as if there is furniture missing. I guess this bugged me because it's a huge room but a complete waste of space! A bath tub would be an excellent addition in these rooms and would put them far above what the competition has to offer. It would also help with the vast open areas in the room.

There are two huge TVs mounted in the room (One in the sitting area and one in the bedroom). This could be great for a family staying here. The bed was horrible to me but I realize that these things are subjective. It was clearly one of those with regular springs as it sagged when you would sit on the bed but they added a mattress bad to it for a little plush. It was too soft for me and I woke up feeling like I slept on a log.

I can't really say that I would stay here again but it would be a safe bet if I couldn't get in to the Courtyard or the Hilton (I know what to expect from their beds). The Location is great as you can use the free parking and walk around most any place downtown Athens within a 15-minute walk.The room is clean (but noticeably old in some areas) the towels were awesome and so was the shower and the water pressure. If nothing else you will get the basics and they will be clean (from what I saw) but for the money it's not really what you would expect and they really should upgrade those mattresses. At most, the average night here should be something like e i g h t y d o l l a r s for a standard room but it was about f o r t y d o l l a r s more than that.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My stay here was nice. I decided to stay here cause I was very tired on Thanksgiving night. Love the location, hotel was very quiet. The only negative was booked through Expedia , and I checked my bank account 2 days later I had the same charge from Holiday Inn. When I called he said it was an accounting error and it would be fixed on Monday. Good thing I checked my account. Overall pleasant stay.

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Holiday Inn Athens-University Area? Share your experiences!