“The location wasn't necessarily worth it...” 3 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Athens
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Mableton, Georgia
“The location wasn't necessarily worth it...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

My husband and I live in Atlanta, but wanted to have a short night away. Athens was perfect with the 1.5 hr drive. We are college sports fans and UGA happened to be playing our alma mater in baseball that weekend. We didn't want to spend too much money on a hotel and we trust the Marriott brand, so with this hotel's close proximity to campus and downtown, it seemed like a great option.

The location is ideal - we walked to restaurants in the cute downtown area (by the way Last Resort Grill is awesome). However, when we wanted to sleep that night, it was really tough. The bed itself was uncomfortable. The hallway noise was abnormally loud - it seemed as though we didn't have a door or walls separating us from the hall. We did not sleep well at all and woke up the next morning to a guest talking to a hotel staff member in the hall, and I could have sworn they were in our room -the conversation was that clear. The bathroom was super tiny - the door almost hits the counter. The room certainly felt more like a motel than a Marriott. It was tough to manage the AC temp. I woke up throughout the night turning it down - we had it on 55 degrees to sleep comfortably and I didn't even use the sheets!

I wouldn't stay here again. When we left the next day, we realized it would have been better to pay more for the B&B we looked up. We might have felt more rested! If you're looking for a place right by campus and have earplugs - this hotel would probably be sufficient.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

I was forced to stay an extra night in Athens because of the recent snow and ice storm. The staff at the courtyard went above and beyond to make an unpleasant situation positive. They provided a complimentary meal on Monday night for those of us that were stuck inside and even offered to clear the snow and ice from our cars before leaving. Because of the circumstances guests and staff became like family which in my mind is the best compliment I can pay them.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
South
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

Spent Saturday night 10/23/10 in Athens at this property. This was obviously not built as a Courtyard property as some rooms have outside key card access. Hotel was clean and functional, no big issues. Pretty average for a typical Courtyard. I thought this location was a little closer to Downtown shops/resetaurants but it's about a 10 min walk. Some noise in the hallway from other guests but nothing major. Minor A/C issues but overall we had a comfortable evening.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Northern Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

I have nothing really positive or negative to write about this hotel. The main positive is its location to the university. It is a short four block wall (up a hill) to Broad and College Streets in the heart of the university area. The main negative, like another poster, is the odd layout of the hotel. There was only one elevator toward the side back of the hotel and if your room is toward the front, you either have to walk a weird path through the hotel or take the stairs through the restaurant. The other surprise was that the continental breakfast actually cost money.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Nashville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2009

This hotel seems more like an apartment complex. It has very nice landscaping and is charming to look at, which is its one saving grace. Once I got through the maze of steps, doors, and keycards to get to my room (which is really inconvenient if you have any heavy luggage!), I reached my room to find a really loud dehumidifier, and a teeny tiny vanity. I would not recommend more than one person in a room with a king sized bed because there was not enough room to share the sink (two ladies traveling together beware!). The downtown location was great, though and we were able to walk to all the downtown festivals with no problem. It seemed like there was more convenient access to the rooms by the parking lot and they looked like suites, which hopefully means they were more spacious than our tiny room.

It wasn't a bad hotel, I just wouldn't recommend if you are:

Traveling Alone (the area is a little sketchy)
Have a lot of luggage you can't carry (there are so many steps it would be impossible to roll it very far without having to pick it up)
Hate Humidity (although you can't hold that against Georgia)

I would recommend if you:
Have children - the pool was outdoors and right by some of the rooms
Need to walk downtown (with a friend)
Travel Light and don't mind using a keycard to get in and out of every single door

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Howell, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2009

I spent one night in Athens to attend a business meeting. Athens doesn't have any upscale hotels and I chose Courtyard because of my prior experience with the brand. The hotel is in the downtown area and within walking distance of many restaurants. The rooms are both interior and exterior - it's sort of like a Residence Inn and Courtyard combined. It's different but I liked it. You wouldn't know it was that way unless you drove around the building. Just from inside, it looks like a regular Courtyard with room doors on both sides of the hallway. I chose the interior room for my stay. Check-in was quick and the tasty cookie at reception helps after driving through Atlanta traffic. I did enjoy the free parking and free wireless internet in the room. The wireless internet was fast and easy to connect to. I asked for a microwave and refrigerator, they did provide it but the refrigerator looked a little grimy and did not work and both items looked a little beat up. The air/heater combo is a little Motel-6ish. It's loud and you can't set a temperature. It's either on (high or low) or it's off. I turned it off to get some sleep and it came on in the middle of the night and woke me up. The housekeeping staff and front desk were very helpful with directions and seemed willing to accommodate any request. The breakfast looked good but I didn't have time to enjoy it. I would stay here again considering the city and other hotel options in the area. Best thing is the free wireless in the room.

• Liked — Free Wireless Internet In Room
  • Disliked — Loud Heating/Cooling Unit
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

I have stayed at this property before but thought I would provide a review of my recent stay.
This is a typical Courtyard hotel. It is a bit different in that it has some rooms that open to the parking lot and some that are interior hall rooms. I always ask for a quiet room when reserving and this time I did not have any bothersome noises at all. My room was on the top floor and looked out on the parking lot.
No problems with the AC or the blinking smoke alarm.
The desk clerk was friendly and offered to help me with directions. There were cookies at the desk at check-in.
I did not eat any meals on the property and basically checked in, slept here and checked out.
I do think the prices in Athens tend to be on the high side and that this motel in most other places would be less than the $100 plus I paid. It seemed to have a low occupancy rate on my visit and there were less than ten cars in the parking lot.
All in all, a decent place to stay. No complaints.

Stayed July 2008

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Athens Downtown? Share your experiences!