“Great hotel in the center of it all” 5 of 5 stars

Save up to 25% Book Early
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Athens
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Athens, GA
“Great hotel in the center of it all”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

If you want to be in the center of it all Hilton Garden is the place for you. You are just steps away from great dining, world famous music venues, shopping, UGA and the Classic Center. Very clean, modern rooms, great hotel amenities and a friendly staff make for a great stay.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

The selling point for this hotel is its location - I went to UGA and like to visit regularly to get my fill of Athens, and you can't argue with this perfect location right in the middle of downtown, only 2 blocks from North Campus. It is a brand new HGI, which means it is clean, large and comfortable, with all of the standard amenities, and no free meals offered. The restaurant offers high-priced standard meals, so skip this and eat in downtown Athens, where there are MANY decently-priced great restaurants (it's a student town, after all). 5-Star Day Cafe (walkable) and Mama's Boy (driveable) in particular offer incredible breakfasts. Yes, you have to pay to park. This is the only reason the hotel gets 4 stars instead of 5- because other downtown hotels offer free parking (though they are a little further out). No, there is no mini-bar for the reviewer from Australia - the Hilton Garden Inn brand is not where you'll find that. Besides - you're in downtown Athens, with more bars per capita than any other town in the whole USA, and they always have cheap drinks and great specials (again...student town). If you're in Athens, don't sit in your hotel room and drink, walk 2 feet away from the hotel and give any one of the myriad restaurants/bars a try. In sum, the location is perfect, the parking is $10/night, the food/drinks should be found elsewhere in downtown where it is plentiful, cheap and fantastic, and this is a wonderful hotel room for exploring Athens and UGA. I stay here every time I'm in Athens (if it isn't full - if you into this, may I suggest the Foundry Park Inn down the street). Go Dawgs.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor if you're there on a weekend during school terms - might be a bit loud by...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

The staff we encountered this weekend was so nice and very helpful. We had breakfast in the hotel twice and would give it high marks for options (including made to order eggs, omelets, etc). The rooms were clean and the beds are amazing. We had drinks in the bar and the bartender was very attentive and fun. My only complaint (and I have this in just about every hotel room) is there is TOO MUCH AMBIENT LIGHT. The clock, the temp gauge, the microwave, tv, light switches all have little lights that glow all night. It is too much light for a good night sleep. I'm going to start traveling with black electrical tape to cover all these lights! I would recommend this hotel and stay there again. You have to pay $10/night to park - I consider this a junk fee and would like to see it eliminated or added to room price so you know what you are paying when comparison shopping.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Big Lake, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

I have stayed at this property once before. It is a nice property, a very good standard HGI. They have business center, workout room, pool etc. The do have an onsite restaurant that seems only busy at breakfast. Where this property falls short is on value and they charge you $10 a day to park. There is no free parking in downtown Athens so I guess they feel entitled. The room rate and parking drag this property down to a average stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Bonaire, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

The staff here is so rude. I stayed here eariler this week. I am a HH Diamond member. I have never been treated like this at any other Hilton property.

I have stayed at the hotel several times. This is the first time I have had a problem. The staff looked and acted if they were new hires. They need to be trained.

When I checked in the front desk girl some how ran my card several times. My credit card company called to say that seemed to be some strange charges in my card. My credit card company declined the charges because the card had been run so many times. I talked with my credit card company and they took care of it. I went down to the front desk to tell them I had talked to my credit card company and I accepted the charges for my room only. They people at the front desk kept saying your card is declined. One of the girls finally looked at my account and saw the room had been paid for. She was also the person that said the person who checked me in was the person that ran the card multiple times.

I was treated like someone who was trying to skip out on my bill. I will not stay here again!!!!

The beds are terrible. I could not sleep well at all.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Bonita Springs, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

I have been living in Australia for 11 years, so I have to ask the question, do American hotels no longer have mini bars? And when you book a Hilton, don't you expect to have a valet service, especially when you have to pay to park. I mean, I already payed for the hotel, and then you charge me to park, drop off my bags, and then re-park??? Room is ok, but, I called at 11 for a glass of wine, since there is nothing in the fridge except water. Anyway, I would say that this would be the equivalent of a Days Inn or a Red Roof... really pissed off that there is no mini bar, and am wondering if that still exists in America???? I asked the concierge where to go to listen to music and she just ended up confused. Anyway, would compare this to a bad Holiday Inn.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

My husband and I stayed here while in town for a football game. While the game was not so good for us, our stay was excellent. This hotel is in an excellent location, close to bars, restaurants and UGA's campus. The hotel room was clean and spacious. I called the front desk to find the nearest liquor store and they were extremely helpful, even giving me walking directions. We had free breakfast every morning with our Hilton Diamond status... it was delicious and had lots of variety. We will definitely return.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Athens Downtown? Share your experiences!