“Clean Hotel at Affordable Cost” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #13 of 20 hotels in Athens
Buffalo, New York
“Clean Hotel at Affordable Cost”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a family member's graduation from the University of Georgia in May. Hotel staff were friendly and helpful. Hotel room was clean. Location of hotel was relatively close to the campus and downtown restaurants. Continental breakfast had variety of healthy meal choices. I had a great experience and would recommend the hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

83 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for my son's graduation and it was a very pleasant experience. The hotel was very clean and they staff was extraordinary. The rooms were very nice and I had no troubles at all during my stay. I highly recommend it to anyone looking to stay here.

• Stayed May 2013
Athens, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We were greeted by a friendly staff at the reception desk. Within a few minutes we had our key cards and were in our room relaxing. Our room was very clean and it looked nice. The only thing we found that was unclean about the room was the window, but it couldn't be cleaned from the inside. It looked like it was covered in Mildew. We slept in through breakfast, so I can't talk about that. We only stayed one night and it was on a Tuesday to Wednesday, so it wasn't very busy. The hotel is located further from downtown Athens than I would have liked, but it wasn't a far drive at all. If I had to complain about something it would be about the lighting. The hallways are dimly lit, but it doesn't look uninviting, the rooms are also pretty dimly lit. Upon check out we were supposed to be gone by 11am. Housekeeping came at 10 and said they needed to clean the room. We told them to come back in an hour, and they immediately moved onto the next room, not a big deal.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Douglas, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I stay here at the Comfort Suites in Athens numerous times during the year and over the past few years it seems like it is slowly going downhill in some respects. Stains and scuffs on the walls and furniture. Issues with the bathroom such as the handle coming off the shower control and water spraying all over the floor the first time I turned it on and had to try to tighten by hand which then slit my thumb some giving me a small laceration and worst of all the hotel putting me, a frequent staying guest and platinum club member right next to the elevator shaft that sounds as if it was in my room all during my entire stay. I would have requested another room, but I'm the type once I in the room and unpacked I'm not leaving until my stay is over unless it is utterly unbearable. The beds are still comfortable and overall the rooms are average, but if management doesn't get on the ball with repairs and getting staff to clean the rooms better and doing the little things I see things getting worse. Another pet peeve of mine is when the room attendants do not put the trash can liners in the trash cans and just lay them there for me to do their job. That should be addressed asap. I also recommend maintenance checking all bathrooms and repainting the walls. The staff was ok, but I did ask for directions at the front desk and the lady at the front was like I don't know how to get there, but I figured it out on my own. The internet was intermittent. It worked all the time, but would have these slow spells some nights which I assume was just too many people online at one time. Anyways, I will return and stay here again, but if the quality continues to decrease I will go elsewhere. The breakfast is your typical Comfort Suites style breakfast, but they could improve this greatly by using name brand goods (cereal, waffle mix, and syrup mainly) because the off brand commercial goods have a nasty or undesirable taste sometimes. As much travel as I do one of the biggest things I feel bring a guest back is a great breakfast bar that tastes great in addition to a clean room and comfortable bed. I also recommend this hotel upgrading their television channel provider. There was no channel guide in my room plus the quality on some channels wasn't great. They could do what some other hotels are going to and go with Dish Network HD which is nice! Overall ok hotel, but my overall experience on this trip alone was poor and hope these issues are addressed so I can rank this hotel again as one of the best in Athens. Thanks!

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms that are next to the elevator.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Rome, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed here because of the location near a wedding venue just north of downtown Athens. When we arrived, the desk clerk was vaguely polite but obviously uncaring. The foyer and hall are dimly lit, which makes the appearance unpleasant.

When we reached the room, it stank of cleaners and deodorizers. The room was barely lit; the bulbs were yellow, lowest-possible-wattage compact fluorescents, and the lamp between the beds did not work at all. I felt like I needed a flashlight to get around the room. The hair dryer did not work, either. My bed slumped in the middle.

We were in a small suite. The room divider had been cut down, and a marble piece used to top a cut in the divider came loose when I brushed it and landed on my foot.

Breakfast was typical for Comfort Inns and a bit more limited than most.

While there was nothing terrible about the stay, but I can't think of anything good, either. I'll not stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose one somewhere else.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dalton, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

A bit of a walk from downtown, but for the value a good stay. We have stayed here before for a football game in Athens, but this time we stayed for a country concert in Sanford Stadium. The rooms have plenty of space and for the most part very clean. This was a crazy weekend with all of the concert traffic and the hotel staff handled it well. The only complaint I had was on a third party web site it listed the hotel as having a shuttle service, which they do not. Ended up getting a taxi which was fine.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Kinnelon, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Just a bit out of town, but good value. Front desk staff (Kim) was very welcoming when we checked in, and later responded immediately when the heater in the original room turned out not to work by first trying to fix the issue and then switching us to another room. We stayed in a King with a sofa; bed was comfortable, bathroom a bit larger than this type of hotel usually has. Breakfast was decent and included hot items.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Comfort Suites Downtown Athens? Share your experiences!