“Very good food, service ok” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 330 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Doing business, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
“Very good food, service ok”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We had a nice, decent meal here, mostly ordering the specials, one of us getting Gluten Free fare, but the one who ordered the gnocchi did not get his correct dish when all of ours arrived, and we had all finished our dinners by the time they brought his gnocci. They offered free dessert to make up for it, which he graciously accepted. Should have compd the dish. But at least they gave a free dessert. Desserts were very good too. I'd say, overall, it was very good, I'd go back.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Lawrenceville, GA
“WOW Excellent Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We went for dinner. The inside is nothing to brag about. The service was average. However the waiter recommended a special of the day. It was a lasagna with blackened chicken a white sauce sitting in marinara. When I heard I wasn't certain but once I tasted it I couldn't stop eating it. I would go back for that alone.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Eatonton, Georgia
“de Palma's on Timothy Road”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

de Palma's has three locations in Athens, each with its own flavor and flair. Downtown on Broad Street is the flagship location with the best menu and nicest atmosphere. A true, white table cloth dining establishment. Highly recommended. We dined last evening at the newest location on the west side of Athens off Timothy Road. This location is more suited to families and young people. Outdoor tables for dining or drinking are available. I had lunch here with friends a year ago and it was excellent. Dinner last evening was not as pleasurable an experience. Our server, Beth, was very pleasant and quick to gel us the wine and net specials. A great value on the Chalone Chardonay. My wife had the trout special at $16 and was very pleased. I on the other hand had there pasta with sweet sausage. It was very dry and required additional sauce to even make it palatable. The portion was HUGE. I am not a "to go box" person but I quickly saw there was more left in the bowl than I had eaten. Thus, home for lunch tomorrow. Try them for lunch first. I was pleased with that. We will give them another chance on dinner as their locatin is great relative to shopping on the Wes end of town.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Waynesville, Georgia
“Awesome food and fun atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

This place has the best food ever. I really enjoyed the warm atmosphere too. The bread sticks are the best I have ever eaten!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Worst pizza margherita ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

I didn't think I would ever write a bad review of De Palmas. I usually get the bread sticks with spinach and a salad and I give that dish a 5 star rating. It is consistently good as are some pasta dishes I have had.
However, the kids were in town and we wanted pizza. The pizza margherita was thrown away after we all tried to eat it. It was a very tough, chewy dough with, apparently, some unflavored canned tomatoes put on top. That was about it except for some ungenerous mozzarella portions sparsely placed and some not very flavorful basil. This is one of their specialty pizzas but it was not special at all.