“The Best Meal I Have Ever Had” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 338 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
“The Best Meal I Have Ever Had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

I have eaten at lots of restaurants, in lots of different places; I am no stranger to excellent food. The Branded Butcher served THE best meal I have ever eaten. We had a selection of charcuterie- pork belly, terrine, and scotch egg- and also ordered main dishes- duck and mussels. Each one one was absolutely delicious. The service was excellent as well. I will be dreaming of this restaurant until I can get back to it. Phenomenal!!

• Visited August 2013

Atlanta, GA
“Great Food, Great Cocktails & Beer Choices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Absolutely a top-notch dining experience in the heart of Athens. Menu was small, but locally-sourced and accommodated the meat eater, the chicken eater, and the vegetarian in our group. Amazing service, too. So glad we chose this spot!

Visited July 2013
athens
“Horrible hipster service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Sat the bar had a dry martini way too much vermouth. After about half hour and nobody waiting on me decided to go to new five and ten. Hugh at door got me seat at the bar. BArtender was awesome as was the food octopus appetizer and flank steak? There's a reason five and ten is packed on a Wednesday on branded butcher isn't! Even if your a hipster you need to give good service and lay off the bong pipep

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Buffalo, New York
“Athens hidden jewel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Whenever we are both in town, my boyfriend and I go to the "Butcher" on Thursday nights for our date night. We have been going there for over a year, and look forward to it every time.

The classic old-timey cocktails are a refreshing and uplifting change to the hum-drum beer and overpriced sugar wines in "college" establishments - not to mention it isn't a kiddie bar. The staff are all extremely knowledgeable, and Ben is a mixologist to be NYC speakeasy rivaled. The bar food / charcuterie is tasty, inventive, and although we have become addicted to certain items, they always change it up a little to offer something new.

The decor is pleasant, very clean, they even have a new back patio. Although note with the high historic ceilings it can get a bit loud - it is always a fun place to be. Knowing my boss is always searching for culinary ambiance and quality, I inquired if the Butcher would help me do a dinner for our Board of Directors - a table of 20.

We planned it for a Monday night, so as not to be packed in with the local crowd, and it turned out to be one of the best Board dinner dining experiences they have had. With cocktails, wine, hors doeuvres, salads and meals, it came out to about $58 per person - which is not bad at all. The filet, pork chop and a dual combo of the mussels with the scallops, were the favorite plates, and we did have some adventurers into the pork belly and other eyebrow-raising eats. I personally had the filet for the first time and thought I had died and gone to steak heaven - the polenta was the absolute most decadent accompanyment. I'm still dreaming about it. This paired with their Tempranillo was out of this world.

The waitstaff was SO professional, helpful with the menu and wine pairings, and attentive. The owner even stopped over to be introduced and thanked us - which was an elegant touch. And for a Monday night, despite our group - the place was full when we left. I continue to be impressed with this unique restaurant.

In the end, I had a VERY happy Board, who are still complimenting the experience. They had no idea such a place existed in Athens, and many said they would be back whenever in town.

Tips to consider: Think about timing of week, local events, and the fact that they are next door to the Georgia Theater - as they receive a lot of entertainment spilling over for dinner.
- Know that they do have a back patio for dining, as the front of the house can look or become crowded.
- Take the time to break out and order something new - I am not an adventurous eater, but can say I have rarely if ever been disappointed by the creative food or drink there.
- My boyfriend raves about the Old Fashions and says they are the absolute best, but note the staff are knowledgeable enough to create any drink to any taste, and they use organic or handmake many of their simple syrups, bitters and fresh squeeze juices.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“"One of Athen's Finest"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

"The Branded Butcher" represents the pinnacle of fine-dining Southern cuisine. The chef is creative and remarkably talented in his ability to balance flavors, while still offering familiar favorites to entice patrons to explore new tastes. This somewhat "tapas" style menu offers a one-of-a-kind selection including pimento goat cheese with charred sourdough bread, fried chicken hearts with house-made honey mustard, and chilled English pea soup with marinated shrimp and Marcona almonds, while striving to support local farms and producers when possible.

Every taste was beyond comparison. The "Gobi Americano" - fried cauliflower, bbq sauce, cilantro, mustard oil - was deep-fried and lightly dusted with salt and an excellent first course for the table. The "Seared Duck Breast" - house-made sausage, broccoli rabe, fennel and orange salad, port and blood orange gastrique - was a perfectly cooked medium rare with a deep rich flavor, well-balanced by the sweetness of the orange salad. The meal was one of the best I've had in Athens.

The service was impeccable. The staff was well-educated and knowledgeable on the menu, willing to offer suggestions to please particular palates or to suggest drink-and-food pairings. The friendly and welcoming environment only complemented the entire experience.

Plan ahead - invite 3 or 4 others to join your entourage - and sample as many of the unique choices as you can and be sure to bring friends who are willing to share. You will not be disappointed.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Branded Butcher? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Branded Butcher, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.