“Herschel stomped on my heart but made my stomach happy” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: Located in Athens, Georgia, Herschel’s 34 Chicken & Ribs Kitchen offers “A Fresh Approach to Southern Family Favorites” with an incredible line up of shareable starters, a great selection of craft beers, wines, and specialty cocktails, delivered by a friendly team who go the extra yard!
Jacksonville, Florida
“Herschel stomped on my heart but made my stomach happy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

As a lifelong Gator fan I have no love for Herschel Walker the player. He destroyed my football dreams far too many times! However, on a recent trip to Athens I found myself in a group that wanted to check out his restaurant and I am glad that I did. It started with an excellent and affordable beer selection and ended with creative and delicious food. I was expecting traditional BBQ fare but this exceeded my expectations. Service was attentive, food prices were reasonable, and servings were large. Add in the fact that it all tasted very, very good and I can forgive the decor (Bulldog in theme, but not excessively so). I can't forgive Herschel for his college football trespasses but at least he knows how to serve a good meal to a Gator!

Visited July 2014

Tupelo MS
“Mixed bag”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

The wings were good and meaty. The entrees were mediocre at best. My okra w cheese/chicken was hardly season and dry as a bone. Its gonna be hard for me to recommend this joint.

Athens, Georgia
“Not bad but nothing special.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

My wife and I ate here for dinner last week. Used a 2 for 1 coupon and had the ribs. They were not bad but nothing special. The meat was good but they were a bit dry. The fried okra was odd - the breading was more like biscuit dough and didn't have any cornmeal in it - again, not bad, but not what I'm used to. Wait staff was nice and the place was clean. Not a bad experience, but nothing special for the prices charged.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Sooo Disappointed!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

We ate there only because it was the only place we could find without a wait...and now we know why.
I ordered wings which were terrible! I'm sure they were day old or at the Very least been sitting out for a while. They were very dry and crunchy with little meat on them.
My husband ordered shrimp and grits. Again not good.
Service was very very slow, but in his defense he did apologize numerous times for it, even offering a free desert. Glad it was free would have been very upset had we paid for it.
My advice....wait wherever you go you'll. be glad you did not end up here.

• Visited May 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
JeannineLahey, Guest Relations Manager at Herschel’s 34 Chicken & Ribs Kitchen, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. Our wings and grits are two of our best sellers and I'm sorry that they were not prepared to your liking. We hope you will visit us again soon. I am certain you will enjoy your meal and our team members will take very good care of you.

Jeannine Lahey
Hamburg, Germany
“Average sports bar”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

Herschel’s Kitchen is a sports bar located in the middle of the old downtown Athens. When you visit, expect to see big screen TVs throughout the restaurant. The menu contains the usual sports bar selections, such as burgers/ fries and various salads. Everything about this place is just average. Service is good, food is average and the prices are acceptable.

• Visited April 2014