“Great place to stay.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Graduate Athens

You added Graduate Athens to your Saves list
Graduate Athens
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   295 East Dougherty Street, Athens, GA 30601 (Formerly Foundry Park Inn and Spa)   |
Special Offer
Midweek Rates from $89
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Athens
La Fayette
“Great place to stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Our hotel room was very clean, actually the cleanest of any hotel we have stayed in. We only stayed one night, if we are in Athens again, this is the hotel we will stay in. I will recommend the Graduate to my friends!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Jamie W, Guest Services Supervisor at Graduate Athens, responded to this review, yesterday
Good Afternoon, louise512014

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are so thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you so much for your kind words. I'll be sure to pass on your compliments to houskeeping, I know they will be excited to hear them. I hate that you were only able to spend one night with us, next time be sure to check out our music venue, the Foundry, or relax at our spa!

Thank you again for the compliments! We hope to see you soon!

Happy Holidays!

Guest Services Supervisor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Germantown, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We stayed at The Graduate this December. I loved the room the minute we stepped in. Everything was clean and appeared new. We had just come from an upscale hotel and paid 6 times the price of this room. I was just as comfortable here.
My negative observations are:
Big gap under the door to the outside. We had to place items at the bottom of the door as we were concerned something might crawl in. It was a chilly 2 nights. We were locked out of our room the 2nd night. Standing with our arms full, I left my party to talk to the desk. Their response was, "oh, you're staying another night?" Yes... I had 2 nights reserved and now im thinking, I'm concerned because you didn't realize we were still here?
This boutique hotel could really hit a home run but it is on the verge of heading in a different direction. Items were outside being stored downstairs, visible in a walkway, for room repairs. The outside landing (doors open to outside) needed a good sweeping and exterior room doors could use a good cleaning and paint touch up. Staff was very friendly. I hope they maintain and add some additional upkeep because I loved this hotel and wanted it to be excellent.

Room Tip: Check out your room first!
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Good Afternoon, Jamiekrbs

We are so pleased you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Thank you for your kind words about our decor and value. It is very appreciated.

I would also like to thank you for your contructive criticism.We can only truly know how well we do by the feedback from our guests. I would like to mention that we are nearing the completion of our renovation, so that is why you were seeing items in the halls. Though that is no excuse, I can assure you this is not how our hotel usually looks. Next time you come, renovations will be complete.

It does concern me about your reservation confusion, however. I would like to invite you to speak to me further about this so I may research what happened and perhaps use this as a training opportunity with my staff. I apologize for any inconveniences. I can be reached at 706.549.7020. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you again and we hope to see you in the future!

Happy Holidays!

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Recreation of 1964 dorm room - albeit a nice one. Great facilities and staff but bring your own breakfast as only scones and such are available. Must go out for a real breakfast. The melting point is a great music venue and guests may attend for free. Fortunately they have beer available on site.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Jamie W, Guest Services Supervisor at Graduate Athens, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Good Afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for the kinds words about our property and staff. I hope you had a blast at whatever show you went to at the Melting Point. I apologize for the lack of a hot breakfast, though we do have a delicious breakfast sandwich available, but we are always happy to recommend some great options in the area. And, you never know, Iron Works is always evolving, so we may eventually have a wider range of hot options.

Thank you again and we hope to see you soon!

Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We loved our experience at the Graduate! From the lobby wine and coffee bar, to the friendly service, and especially the abundance of luxury towels. We can't wait to come back so we can try out the spa and the lounge.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Good Afternoon, 66christic

Thank you so much for your kind words about our property! We are so thrilled you enjoyed your time with us! You are right, you absolutely must come back and try the spa or come see a show. We've got some great shows coming up at the Foundry, next year!

Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you in the future!

Asheville, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I'd previously stayed at this hotel when it was the Foundry and it was an exceptional experience, so my BF and I choose it again this past week. What were the new owners thinking reinventing the wheel? Not only did they ruin the décor-it looks like they gave a committee of freshman interior design students a project to use every possible bright color and style within the room- but they lacked basics of plates, towels and soap in the suite and forgot room darkening shades. But they DID include a "wake-up" call every morning at 4:30 a.m. in the form of a garbage truck collecting the dumpster right behind our room! We even got a fire alarm going off for no reason our first morning. The room also needed more sound proofing; it was next to the green room used for the bar/restaurant's evening entertainers who were so loud and rambunctious we could hear conversations in detail.
What a disaster. I give the Graduate a failing grade.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Jamie W, Guest Services Supervisor at Graduate Athens, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Good Afternoon, MSMHSRN

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent experience. We very much appreciate all of the constructive criticism that you were able to give us.

I would like to personally apologize for the series of unfortunate incidences that you experienced during your stay with us. It is our goal to provide an enjoyable and memorable experience, from booking to departure, and I am truly sorry we have failed you in this regard. Your response has been forwarded to all appropriate managers to ensure that these issues do not occur in the future. I would like to invite you to speak to me further about this. I can be reached at 706.549.7020.

Again, thank you for apprising us of these issues, I truly hate that we let you down. Regardless of the inconveniences, I hope that your overall trip will be one that is fondly remembered.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I booked with Graduate Athens (used to be The Foundry Park Inn and Spa) for my wedding because of their high reputation and beautiful location. However, this venue was the only cause of headache and tears in my entire planning process. Everything else went smoothly and if I could have cancelled with them and gone to another location I would have with a smile on my face.

First, management decided to renovate the hotel after we signed a contract and not inform us. This means that the suites were not available to stay in (these were one of the major reasons we booked with them), my guests did not have access to rooms with anything other than double beds and there was construction equipment EVERYWHERE on my wedding day. That means huge dumpsters, random crap, and TOILETS on the sidewalks outside our rooms. We had to ask for barriers to be put up around the pavillion, they were not automatically provided... I guess they thought I wouln't have a problem with the toilets and dumpsters?

Second, they scheduled my rehearsal and rehearsal dinner for the wrong times (about an hour and a half later than we had planned) even though we called to confirm in advance so something like that wouldn't happen.

Third, my husband and I have food allergies. I'm allergic to bell pepper and he's allergic to onions. These allergies were noted on our contracts. At the rehearsal dinner there were bell peppers on the green beans and at the wedding there were onions on the steak. I don't know if the contract was ignored, not passed out, or if they just didn't care.

The whole process with the Foundry was full of misinformation and lead ons. We were told the construction equipment "should" be gone and that it wouldn't interfere, wrong. We were not compensated enough for these issues and if I hadn't had a wedding planner to fix continual problems with them my wedding day would not have been fun. I gave them 5 stars for quality because when they did something right it was well done and their location really is beautiful. My guests also thought the wedding was flawless and in the best location, but they were not planning this and dealing with the crap the Foundry kept throwing at us.

Now, the staff at the Foundry (not management, the people who had no control over all the bull we delt with) are WONDERFUL. Very helpful, nice, and go out of their way to make you comfortable. So, the experience wasn't all bad but booker BEWARE the Foundry and the silver tongues of thier management.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Jamie W, Manager at Graduate Athens, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Liz M,

Thank you for your comments regarding your wedding experience. We very much appreciate all of the constructive criticism that you were able to give us regarding the services provided for you and your wedding guests.

As we have been in the process of renovating and re-branding, we sincerely regret any and all inconveniences or confusion that this has caused for you. We very much appreciate your honesty and candor in your comments. It is our goal that we exceed your expectations from the booking process throughout the end of the wedding weekend and I do regret that we failed you in this regard. We are, however, happy that your guests enjoyed themselves and the location of the venue.

We would love to offer you an opportunity to return to Graduate Athens and experience and enjoy our newly-renovated hotel as you should have experienced during your time here, headache free. Please contact me at ejanney@graduateathens.com or 706-433-1941.

Emily Janney
Wedding Sales Manager
Graduate Athens
Commerce, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I had a friend come into town so I drove over to Athens for an overnight visit. All I can say about this room is that it looks like someone shopped at a local flea market and then decorated. The weird pictures that stare at you, the weird chalkboard in the room with scientific stuff wrote on it and the weird faces on the bathroom walls all make your head hurt. The patterns are weird and don't match, to much plaid going on in the entire room. It just makes the room seem very cluttered. For the price we paid, I expected a larger room. It was just standard. Except for the weird decorations, it seemed like just another room. Nothing to get excited over. Can anyone tell me who the people in those portraits are?

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Good Afternoon, mtherof1

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. We very much appreciate your honesty and candor in your comments. It is our goal that we exceed your expectations and I do regret that we failed you in this regard.

However, I would like to explain the many aspects of the decor that you mentioned, so that you may understand our intentions. Yes, we are a hotel and want our guest to be comfortable but we also want our guests to have an experience when they stay at Graduate. We want to curate a memory. Our designer put much thought and consideration into each and every item in the room. He wanted to design a room that reflects the wonderful town we are in, but he also wanted to design a feeling, an experience. You could say our rooms are a bit vintage and unexpected, but they are certainly memorable! We want you to know what town you are in, but we didn't want to be blatant about it.

The chemical equation you mentioned is actually the equation for sweet tea, the official drink of the south! It is also a nod to the University of Georgia. Charles Herty was the first head of the Chemistry department at UGA, but was also the man that first introduced football to this fair city! The wallpaper was specially made for us and it depicts every stage of life for a student, from childhood to graduation! Although I can't tell you who the folks in the pictures are, they are meant to remind you of the South of yesteryear. Perhaps one of the ladies reminds you of your grandmother, or the little boy reminds you of your brother growing up.

We understand this decor may not be for everyone, but hopefully with my explanations you can better understand our mission.

Regardless, I hope you had an overall enjoyable and memorable time with your friend. Again, thank you for your honesty, we do hope we see you again, soon.

Guest Services Supervisor

Been to Graduate Athens? Share your experiences!