“This really was Dawg Gone Good BBQ!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #83 of 343 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: Afghan, Barbecue
Athens, Ga.
“This really was Dawg Gone Good BBQ!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

My husband and I were en route to the National to get goat cheese with lavender and honey, when we smelled the aroma of barbecue wafting our way. At that point, we detoured to DGGBBQ, where you can taste before you buy. We tasted, we bought! Tamika, Chef B J's sister, served us squash casserole (oh my goodness) and spinach supreme (oh my goodness again) with our sandwich. We ate outside, always my first choice, and truly enjoyed our experience, especially when Chef B J walked up and we got to converse with him, and have my picture made with him and his sister.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Athens, GA
“Great BBQ in Downtown Athens”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Some of the best BBQ I have ever had. We had ribs and pork and both were great. Later we were able to sample the giant wings and sausage. Also with great side and friendly service it is a great choice for Athens.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Savannah, Georgia
“Good BBQ & sides”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

The BBQ ribs were very good and the Mac&Cheese was tasty. This is not fine linen cloth dining, it is a small place with friendly staff & tasty food ! We were served quickly, so it is good for a fast-on the go - meal. Comfortable outdoor area. We will visit agin when in Athens ! The prices are most reasonable too.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Wha a find!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Found this establishment by accident and just before they closed. The Ribs are excellent and the sides (Slaw & Potato Salad) were pretty good too. Their style of ribs are different than what I have had up north, but I have no complaints. Good value for the money too.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Athens, Georgia
“Worst BBQ I've Ever Had”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

If you are downtown Athens at night, there is a good chance that you will smell this place smokin' away. And if you've tied one on and need a late night snack, you just might roll in for a bite to eat - after all the place smells spectacular. However, all feelings of fulfillment instantly fade the second you bit into their over-cooked, boiled-then-smoked, version of bbq. I've been here a few times now, because my friends think that all things smokey resemble good bbq, but they don't seem to understand that they are just eating ribs that have been boiled and then thrown on a grill to give them a flavor that resembles real bbq - it drives me crazy! This place is a bbq fraud, drawing drunk folks in with the smell, and then disappointing them when they receive a large pile of smokey boiled meat!

Visited April 2012