“Did not impress me” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #48 of 338 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: French, Cajun & Creole, Seafood, Sandwiches, Delicatessen
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Continuing an Athens tradition in Creole and Cajun fine dining. What began in 1985 as Harry Bissett's New Orleans Cafe, lives on at NONA. Located across from the University Of Georgia's historic North Campus, is the most pleasant spot downtown for lunch or dinner. NONA features three distinct dining areas: the Bayou Room, the Atrium Balcony and the gorgeous upstairs Dining Room. Enter the restaurant through the warm and welcoming old style bar and sit in an atmosphere capturing a feel of Jazz and Mardi Gras. NONA offers dishes inspired by the rich culinary traditions of Louisiana. Delectable dishes prepared with only the finest of ingredients daily. Sample Oysters Rockefeller and Bienville, Shrimp and Grits or Sherry Crab Soup. Feast on delicious entrees such as the French Quarter Filet or Chicken Rochambeau. Chef William Shay and his accomplished staff offer daily specials that suit the most discriminating palate. Weekends are unique with our New Orleans inspired Brunch served Saturday and Sunday and are not to be missed. Be sure to check back often to learn of upcoming events and celebrations. We look forward to serving you!
Commerce, Georgia
“Did not impress me”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

I have heard alot about this place no big deal the bar bunch of old single guys hanging out the crab cakes were good and the fish I thought no big deal

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Athens, GA
“ah, bliss!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

This is the second time in the last few months I've eaten here and confess I enjoyed my first meal so much I ordered the same thing again. I was not disappointed. The pan seared sea scallops were done to perfection, with an interesting spicy corn relish over creamed spinach slightly flavored with anise. The flavor combinations were delicious. Plenty of hot sourdough bread. Wine by the glass was a generous serving, as were the cocktails. Mondays are $1 raw oyster nights. Being the first of June, they were on the small side, but the server brought a couple extra "to make up for it."

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Athens, Georgia
“Great atmosphere, excellent food -- an Athens classic.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

I'm an Athens local & I work downtown so I eat lunch here about twice a month when I want to treat myself. This used to be Harry Bissett's & the menu is pretty much identical. Unique atmosphere; you can choose the more formal dining area or sit around the bar or sit at the top under their unique skylight roof. I can't comment on their New Orleans fare since that is not my cup of tea, but I really enjoy their filet & their cheeseburger is the best in town in my opinion. Arielle, the waitress who usually works the bar area when I am eating lunch, is attentive & sweet. A great spot to eat if you're hanging around downtown Athens!

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Athens, Georgia
“Avoid New Orleans "specialties"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

Red beans and rice, gumbo and other items on the New Orleans specialty list are embarrassingly bad. The higher end entrees interest the chef more and are better.

Visited February 2012
Rochester Hills, Michigan
“Unique wonderful meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

First, the atmosphere is great. We sat in the back dining room with the 2 stories. It looks like an old city townhouse like I've been in in Central Mexico. The food is just superb. Being from Michigan, I'm definitely not an expert on New Orleans type cooking, but this was as good as I've ever had and just tasty as hell. All of us loved it. They also had Terrapin the excellent local craft beer to complete my happiness. I would definitely return here.

• Visited April 2012