“Very pleasant” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Southport, North Carolina
“Very pleasant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

Friendly staff, good prices, nice food.
Family with me enjoyed the arugula salad with blue cheese and French onion soup.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Atlanta, Georgia
“The best of several foods I've ever had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Well, I didn't eat a wide range of items at Etienne Brasserie, but I did have the best steak frites (twice) I've ever eaten (including in a much-touted brasserie in New York City) as well as the best chocolate mousse and creme brulee (and I've eaten soooo many of those over the years).

Oh yes, the salad with the poached egg and bits of pork in it was also right on and one of those delicious things brasseries (are supposed to) do so well. The malbec was yummy, the service good enough (it was not busy either time I was there, once for lunch and once for dinner). And the bread, which I could not eat due to gluten issues, well, I could tell without eating it that it was chewy-yet-soft and hot with lots of fresh butter. Even in very good restaurants, the bread is somewhat lacking (or it used to be, when I could eat bread). My table mates ate two baskets of the stuff. This restaurant will be a splurge for some, but worth it.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Wonderfull staff!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

Despite the owner being an unpleasant person, the staff is over the top, from Rachel finding you a nice spot, over Kate taking care of you - well pampering - you at the table up to Alex(andra) behind the bar. All lovely !!!

Classic French dishes: starters, entrees and desserts... done the French way. Close, very close to the indigenous versions on the Old Continent.

One of my favourite places in Athens.

Whitetop, Virginia
“Not one of our best meals here.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

We've been to Etienne several times and have found it to be quite good. We were there at 1:00 on Sunday for lunch. They were out of the three of the limited menu items. I had an omelet with salmon, spinach, and brie. It was flavorful, but was not hot. I did not ask for it to be corrected because it already took quite some time for our meals to be served (it was not busy). Others had the seafood crepe which was good, but light on shrimp (5). One other diner had eggs Benedict florentine and said it was wonderful. The blood Mary's we had all around were very good, but the cappuccinos were cold. Our service was so/so. I won't suggest we go back when looking for places for a Sunday meal.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Athens, Georgia
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We chose this restaurant as a birthday/engagement spot after a night out at the ballet. The interior is nice if not a bit "cozy". There were only a handful of other diners when we arrived. We were greeted promptly and our server was very cordial. He brought out water for the table and told us about the specials. The menu is on the smaller side, but has a nice variety of choices. The downside of that is they were out of many items! Some appetizers were missing components and they were completely out of lamb (a big disappointment). After we had ordered, the waiter came out and told us they were out of another item and one diner w/ our party would have to choose another entree. After this we also added an additional appetizer to our table (no offer to comp anything.) The original appetizers came out in about 20 minutes. The second one that was added, about 15 mins after that. We waited a good 35-45 mins for our entrees to come out. This was surprising as the restaurant was Not full, and during this part of our stay, only about 2 tables were added. Our entrees finally came out and I noticed that so did everyone else's that had been added quite a bit after ours (the other tables). It seemed like they made a bit batch before serving it up. I ordered the filet and was very disappointed that it was very overcooked (I ordered it medium). While the cut of meat was very tender, it was still horribly overcooked. Two of the three duck dishes that were ordered were also overcooked while it seemed that the duck special was undercooked. The flavors were nice but the execution was poor. We did end up ordering dessert and they were mediocre. One was comped since we had to change our menu selections. Overall, I was disappointed with the food especially since the price point is a bit high for the area.

• Visited December 2013