“French cafe life” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Atlanta
“French cafe life”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

My wife and the dog and I spent a few hours at an outside table last Saturday, enjoying a wonderfall fall day and some excellent food/drinks. It was our fifth or sixth visit, and the kitchen and wait staff continues to perform well above average, both in service and food quality. After being disappointed by the unavailability of the saucisson sandwich and tuna options, my wife and I were very pleased with our selections of grilled opa on her salad and a lamb hamburger for me. (The dog was happy with her bowl of water, which was promptly brought out without having to request it.) The frites (it is a French brasserie) were perfectly done: extra crispy outside and fluffy potato inside.
They also have a great cocktail menu, along with several unusual bottled beer selections and a nice wine list. This trip we did not purchase a bottle of wine, but in the past we have had several, and the bartender helped us make very good selections. I think I remember that they specialize in a particular Lebanese vineyard's wines, in addition to Napa and French varietals.
FYI: they have a great lunch menu, but on Sundays at lunch you can only order from the brunch menu. It's fine, too, but it limits your selection of some of the sandwiches and salads and adds the usual brunch suspects.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

73% Recommend
Montreal
“nothing left”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We went on a weekday. The restaurant did not have more than 16 people. Greetings were friendly and we had a glass of white wine each. Then we tried to order from the menu. Well, they were out of the escargots, the tuna tartare, the veall hanger steak. So we were pretty well forced into taking a second choice. At least service was pleasant and they threw in one glass of wine extra after I suggested they give us a discount.

I felt it was pretty expensive for a restaurant that could not provide a full menu.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Florida
“Just as good on our second visit.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

We dined here about six months ago and returned on this visit through town. This time our server was a guy who was extremely knowledgable on wines and interesting to listen to as he described several of the wines to us. The wine list is all French but they had some special wines from California and I believe Australia. We had an excellent bottle of California Chardonay, and after dessert our server was able to recommend a French wine served by the glass that was close to the Chardonay that we had. The food was delicious, especially the poached pear dessert. We sat at a window table and enjoyed watching the students and other characters pass by. We love this place and plan to return every time we pass through town. If you like fine food in an upscale environment this is the place to go in Athens.

RGinTally

Williamsburg, Virginia
“Nice Dinner Out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

One of the nicer spots near campus. We really enjoyed the European atmosphere. The wine list was substantial, the staff were knowledgeable and fun and the food was divine. Shout out to Kate...you rock girl!

Visited August 2012
Philly
“Just what I wanted”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

After spending a long day touring the UGA campus my son said let's go for a good dinner so you can have a nice glass of wine. This place was perfect - nice wine list. Sat in the window and relaxed. We both had the french onion soup - sweet onions with a delicious mix of broth and cheese. Next I had the salmon wrapped in Phyllo dough which also came with a salad - I couldn't finish it all. It was very good. My son had the veal with bernaise sauce. He was very happy with his order. We will be back to UGA and back to Etienne.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere