“I guess I don't 'get it'” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night
Athens, Georgia, United States
“I guess I don't 'get it'”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

People get excited about going to The Varsity here, but frankly, there are better places to get everything they serve. As for the atmosphere, maybe I'm just too young (Having been born in the 70s) to really appreciate it as a personal nostalgia and that's the problem. Still, I've been to 60s places before and enjoyed them much more.

Their chili dogs are good. Their shakes are pretty good, too. Their burgers are average, as are their fries.

If you're from Athens, I imagine you wouldn't be reading this review because you would already know the Varsity and what it's like. So assuming you AREN'T from Athens, this may not be your cup of tea.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Atlanta
“Great Dawgs!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Varisty has been an institution in Georgia as the Georgia Dawgs are! Love the chili cheese dogs. Also love the Varisty Orange drink, makes me feel like Im in an old time soda shop.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New Orleans, Louisiana
“An institution....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Walking in this place takes you right back to the 1960's. It's amazing.

Just a family friendly and fun atmosphere. The cheeseburgers & chili dogs are legendary. They have spectacular onion rings. Cold coca cola.

A must stop for any fan of burger joints from the early years. The best of the best. .

A +. I will be back.

Cornelia, Georgia
“Just like the 60s”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

We stopped by for lunch following a recent trip to Athens. The same flavors, odors and surroundings as I remembered from my college days. I will definitelly visit again for the wonderful chilli dogs, orange shakes, fries and onion rings. Don't expect fine dining: just a great old corner hot dog and burger joint on a reasonable budget. .

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Wilmington
“New tradition”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I have been away for a while and brought my family when we visited UGA. The food is still great. Now everyone knows what I mean when I say 'What'll ya have'. Hotdogs, burgers and onion rings are still the best. Don't forget to have an orange drink.

• Visited April 2013