“Eat here....” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Canada
“Eat here....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Had dinner during a recent visit, food was amazing. Sat at the bar and the bartenders were great to chat with and they made some great recommendations for after dinner. Food was delicious.

Visited December 2012

Athens, Georgia
“small portions”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

supposedly a family friendly version and knock off from Hugh Acheson from the five and ten...I'll pass. Not impressed with portion size (TINY) and I just loved Farm 255 and Last Resort so MUCH better...I always nix this one and go to the others!

Visited October 2012
Tacoma, Washington
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Wine; SMALL plates”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I visited The national the other night with a very good friend whom I hadn't seen in a couple of years. We ate in the bar, and it was a great place to sit and reconnect. The ambience is relaxed and comfortable, and the bar tenders were superb in finding some excellent wines. My manhattan was pretty tasty, although i prefer stirred rather than shaken. The food was delicious, but the servings were small for the price. My friend had to lift a piece of greens to uncover one of the two scallops on her plate. My lamb chop was all of two bites.The tab ended up around $80, and we felt that we had to fill up on bread to feel that we had had a meal. Perhaps the servings are larger in the main dining room, I hope. If I go back, I'll probably have the wine and go elsewhere for a meal.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Fayetteville, Georgia
“A really fabulous place.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

We hosted a celebration dinner for 8 the evening before fall commencement. It was truly lovely. Very busy but the atmosphere was intimate and cozy. I didn't find it to be overly noisy even though I was facing the kitchen door. Food was excellent. We had the hangar steak med rare with hash. I wanted to lick the plate! Service was excellent, we did wait a while at the bar even though we had reservations but that's understandable on a busy night with several large groups in a small place. Bar staff was very friendly and relaxed and I really loved that the whole place is completely unpretentious. I did not survey the restroom so I can't comment on that - most Athens establishment s have terrible bathroom facilities in my opinion. I highly recommend The National.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Zurich / Switzerland
“Best food in a long time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We travelled the south for a long time and in all fairness, food was not the highlight of that trip - until we came to Athens. The National was an extremely positive surprise. Excellent local food, well prepared and served in the friendliest possible manner.
A highlight was the home brewed tonic!

Visited June 2012