“Clean, Comfortable and Wonderful Service” 5 of 5 stars

Km. 4, Boulevard al Aeropuerto, San Pedro Sula 1336, Honduras   |
Ranked #7 of 35 Hotels in San Pedro Sula
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Washington DC
“Clean, Comfortable and Wonderful Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2009

I visit San Pedro regularly for business and always stay at the Metrotel. The whole hotel is extremely clean and the beds are comfortable. The complimentary breakfast is simple yet more-than-sufficient and the staff always greet me with a smile. The hotel clearly caters to business (w great Wi-fi in every room) and yet I've bumped into numerous mission groups from Kansas and Texas. Lastly, it's the closest nice hotel to the airport making it very convenient if you are arriving late or flying-out early. I would definitely recommend this establishment.

• Liked — Friendly service, location, and cleanliness
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2008

We arrived to this hotel as a result of a canceled flight and missed connections. The TACA airline sent us to this hotel. The hotel is comfortable, has a nice inexpensive restaurant, free internet, drinking water and coffee, and is only a 15 minute drive from the airport. The rooms are comfortable and clean, are equipped with A\C and a TV. The mattress is not very comfortable. But overall, it is a nice hotel to stay for a night while waiting for your flight.

• Liked — Free internet and nice reception clerk
  • Disliked — The mattress
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Phoenix, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2008

First of all the name has changed to Metrotel. I can't speak for anyone else but my experience here was great!. I made my reservation by email with the manager and was quoted $60 plus tax. By the time I arrived in July, the price had gone up to $68 but my original quote was honored. It was just a 10min ride from the airport and I felt very comfortable with the 24hr. security. Rooms are also secure with keycard access. There was free Internet on several workstation computers and also free breakfast. The only complaint I had was the weight machine in the gym was broken but I guess that's not relevant for everyone. I had no problems with the room being clean or with hot water. I would consider it up to American standards. I recommend Metrotel and will use them when I return next year.

• Liked — Location and price
  • Disliked — bugs in the garden
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Bermuda
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2008

I wanted to let people know how unhappy and disgusted I was with the treatment myself and my husband received at Mictotel now called Metrotel Express, San Pedro Sula.
I had email communication with the manger and booked a room with him gave my credit card details in an email non secured(I know that was stupid, that that was the only way they would do it.)
I phoned the hotel to try and give it to them but they the only way was by email.they said.
I got 2 emails with reservation number and saying that my room was 'guaranteed'
I told them that I was taking the late Taca flight and would not be arriving until after 2 am at least.
They said they would arrange a taxi to pick us up at our expense of course.
Well thats not what happened.

Our Taca flight which arrived on time at 1.35 am and then after we cleared Immigration it was approximately 2am.

We had no bags to collect as they were on route to La Ceiba.
We were expecting a taxi to be waiting for us which it was not so we waited around, no one there to pick us up, so we would get our own taxi to the hotel.

When we arrived we were informed that our 'guaranteed room' was given away to some one else and also we were told that the taxi man waited until the last person had left the airpot and we were not there and he went home .That was totally untrue as when we left the there was still a queue behind us.

So we had taken 6 flights(another long story!) and we up for 40 hours and were told that our room was given away?

We have travelled all over the world and have never been treated like that.
We had to get another taxi at our own expense to another hotel.

If we were not to turn up for that night they were perfectly within their rights to charge our credit card and they would not have lost out , so why was our room given away?

This is the worst hotel experience that I have ever had, its totally unforgivable to do that to someone who has arrived off a flight in the middle of the night who had been told that their 'guaranteed.' room was given away.
You might say well it is Honduras, it is third world but our room(didn't turn out to be ours!) was $80+ that certainly not "cheap,cheap".
Maybe thats the way things are done around here????

I hope that this review will save someone from going through the same thing, things might be different if you arrived during the day but the hotel needs to reconsider their policy's. Hope to save someone from the same nightmare.

Oh, and the hotel we ended up staying at says that that happens all the time at Metrotel, they get a lot of late night stranded people at they place we ended up in.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2008

I stayed at this hotel on April 29, 2008. I had contacted the hotel via email to guarantee my reservation because of the late night Spirit Air arrival. The manager sent a driver to pick me up (cost $15). Upon clearing customs, he was there with a sign with my name and we were off to the hotel. On the way, he searched the radio to find an English-speaking station, which made me feel welcomed.

My check in was quick & easy. They have several computers with free broadband internet access including printer. My standard room was very comfortable with a double bed, modern bathroom that included hot water, a/c, cable tv and bottled water.

With only an hour's notice, I arranged transportation back to the airport. The management had the same driver take me, the cost at 11:00 a.m. was $10.

As a woman travelling alone, I felt very safe at this hotel. It has electronic keycard access along with security. They also have a free continental breakfast. The room was $60 plus 16% tax.

Stayed April 2008
Miami, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2008

I would advise all travelers to avoid this hotel. We booked two rooms for two families arriving late at night on Spirit Air. We reserved by email. We called the hotel to provide credit card number and guarantee the booking and then reconfirmed by email. The hotel knew our flight and knew how late we would be arriving. We arrived around 12:30 AM only to be told that the hotel had given up our rooms and had nothing to offer. We eventually convinced management (after an hour of discussion and 2 phone calls that woke up the manager) to pay for rooms at a hotel in town. The one they sent us to was so non-descript that the taxi driver never located it. Had my wife not been a Spanish speaker, we are convinced that we would have just been turned away at the door of the Microtel. This property may be close to the airport, but any property that turns away a guaranteed and confirmed booking is not to be trusted.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — They gave away our rooms.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
SW Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2007

I stayed at Microtel because it 's the closest hotel to the San Pedro airport-only 9 kilometers away (the better rated hotels are downtown far from the airport) & my Spirit Air flights in from and to FLL had 10+ hour layovers going and coming to Roatan. The Spirit flights arrived or departed around midnight. I just needed a place in between connecting flights. Note: cabs are $10-$15 each way and they all know this hotel even if they speak little english. There were ample cabs available.

This is a 1.5-2 star hotel in the USA, small basic rooms but clean. Front desk staff were bilingual as my spanish is limited. Rates were about $70/night. It does have a very decent "business center" with 6 computers with free internet service. Pool is nice. Exceptional hotel feature was the beautiful 2 acre or so garden area with lovely native trees and flora, hammocks, sand volleyball pit, playground, etc. There is a Larosn's restaurant next door with very fair prices and good food (try the big, pan cooked "biftec"-steak).

Although the area nearby, like most of the town, is very rundown, I felt 100% safe here with security gated entry, armed guard and strict key entries.

I would stay at Microtel again on a airport layover.

Stayed October 2007

Been to Metrotel Express? Share your experiences!